Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Tesla Sentry Mode & TeslaCam Video on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for duplicating thread in 3 forums (S,X &3)
I felt it was necessary to get it to the entire user base.
As I have mentioned before I think it would be great if there is a place to put those like this that applied universally.

Link to product & App used are listed in the YouTube Description.

Last edited:
FYI,
This isn’t 100% plug & Play.
It comes formatted formatted as exFAT.
You need to reformat the card as FAT32.
It can be done on a PC or a Mac (using disk utility)

FAT32 may be shown as “MSDOS (FAT)” in the drop-down list of formats on the Mac disk utility application when you choose a the erase option.
If you need help with this just search for “formatting FAT32 on a Mac” in Google.

It doesn’t seem to matter what you name the drive.
I have a pair that I swap for each car.
I named mine “ModelScam1”, “ModelSCam2” & “Model3cam1”, “Model3cam2”
Then make sure there is a folder named “TeslaCam” on the drive.

Also...I didn’t mention this in the video. When deleting files from flash drives on my Mac I always had to empty the trash to complete the deletions. When using the iPhone app “iPlugmate” Deletion is instantaneous - there is no trash to empty. Obviously this eliminates the ability to in-delete things. But it also makes it great because you can actually make room on the card with your mobile device.

Unfortunately, the SanDisk has to be unplugged before activating its WiFi capability.
That being said, if you use a SanDisk Connect Stick, there's a new IOS app, SentryView, that will allow you to see all three cameras at the same time while reviewing footage. This provides a MUCH better way to review events than one camera at a time...

Unfortunately, the SanDisk has to be unplugged before activating its WiFi capability.
That being said, if you use a SanDisk Connect Stick, there's a new IOS app, SentryView, that will allow you to see all three cameras at the same time while reviewing footage. This provides a MUCH better way to review events than one camera at a time...

Doesn’t the USB stick think it’s unplugged (hence it’s WiFi can be activated) when the car is off?

If you put the car in park...no...the USB plug is still active. If you completely power off the car...then yes...the WiFi can be activated. However, the button you have to push to activate it is so close to the plug that you have to pull it out of the USB anyway. So that isn't a viable option.
I have emailed SanDisk to see if they can update the app to allow WiFi to work while the stick is still plugged in.
This is a shortcoming of the USB stick...not the TeslaView app, which simply uses the SanDisk API.

Daniel, thanks so much for posting this! I have been looking for just such a device. FYI for others, I could not get this drive to format properly in Windows 10. Tried a third party utility called FAT32 Format. (Windows built in disk utility won't format this drive FAT32, only exFAT and NTFS) Looking at the drive in Windows compared to the one I was previously using, it looked identical. FAT 32, TeslaCam folder, but the car would not recognize it. Tried multiple file allocation sizes, still nothing. Had to format is using my Mac and then it worked. Will be really nice to be able to view videos on the fly in the car when needed! If anyone figures out how to properly prepare it using Windows 10, please post in case others don't have access to a MAC.

I bought one and when I plug it on my model 3 the camera icon don’t show. Any suggestions?
It must be formatted (FAT32) and have a folder named “TeslaCam” in the root.
Oddly, not an option in Windows. So far it appears that people have only successfully done it on a Mac using the Disk Utility application and clicking on “ERASE” and choosing “MSDOS (FAT)” in the drop down format option box.

It must be formatted (FAT32) and have a folder named “TeslaCam” in the root.
Oddly, not an option in Windows. So far it appears that people have only successfully done it on a Mac using the Disk Utility application and clicking on “ERASE” and choosing “MSDOS (FAT)” in the drop down format option box.
I did it on my Mac and it works now

Reactions: Daniellane
I have the same issue as people have mentioned with the hootoo drive. I’m trying a Mac to format and then giving up and returning it if that doesn’t work. Now I’ll have to find someone with a Mac.
This does not appear to be an issue with the drive. The issue is how PCs are not able to format the FAT32 as required to be compatible with a Tesla. For what ever reason, not an issue when using a Mac. So far I haven’t heard from anybody that hasn’t gotten it to work and using a Mac.
My assumption is this will be an issue no matter what flash drive is used unless it just happens to be formatted FAT32 out of the box.