Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View TeslaCam Videos in Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a web app for viewing TeslaCam dashcam and sentry video clips that I would like to share and get feedback. Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome, Safari or IE browsers.

TeslaCam Viewer

The app uses your local file system and browser - so nothing to install or upload. Click Choose Files button and select all the mp4 video files within a directory and the app will play the videos from the left, front, and right cameras simultaneously on the screen. Click the speed button to cycle through 1x, 3x or 10x speeds. Will play all the one-minute videos in order by timestamp in the filename.

Let me know any thoughts if this is useful or ideas to make it better. It would be nice if this would just work from the Tesla browser in the car and have access to the files directly mounted from the USB TeslaCam directory.

UPDATE:
Teslas with HW3 appear to have HEVC H.265 video encoded for dashcam and sentry videos rather than H.264 (which works with most browsers). H.265 video format primarily only works on Microsoft Edge and Safari browsers. Some on Windows 10 have also needed to download a Microsoft extension to play their videos. That link is: Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

Last edited by a moderator:
It did not work for me in the Tesla Model 3 browser.

Yeah, besides not being able to play video in the car, there doesn't appear to be access from the in-car browser to the TeslaCam mounted directory from the USB disk. For now, you still have to eject the USB disk and insert into a computer/laptop to view. Maybe a feature request for Tesla?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cwmagui
Can you use this to play regular MP4 movies on the MCU (safely, while stationary, obviously )?

The in-car browser will not currently play any video files. It would be nice if it was opened up to allow TeslaCam videos to play and provide access to those files from the browser - maybe as long as the car is in park.

This web app makes it easier to scan through dashcam and sentry mode files easier and with a wider perspective by playing all three camera videos at once. You just have to remove the USB disk and plug it into a computer or laptop.

Awesome work! This is very helpful.

Just one small bug I noticed. When loading a new set of videos, the videos play at 1x even if the previous video(s) was being played back at a different speed. The speed button still reads the old speed.

I created a web app for viewing TeslaCam dashcam and sentry video clips that I would like to share and get feedback. Works on Mac or Windows using Chrome, Safari or IE browsers.

TeslaCam Viewer

The app uses your local file system and browser - so nothing to install or upload. Click Choose Files button and select all the mp4 video files within a directory and the app will play the videos from the left, front, and right cameras simultaneously on the screen. Click the speed button to cycle through 1x, 3x or 10x speeds. Will play all the one-minute videos in order by timestamp in the filename.

Let me know any thoughts if this is useful or ideas to make it better. It would be nice if this would just work from the Tesla browser in the car and have access to the files directly mounted from the USB TeslaCam directory.

Awesome, love it. Especially that it works on Mac. Thanks!

Reactions: FarmerDave

TeslaCam Viewer

Enhancement request: Can you make it so it automatically detects the USB and imports all of the files instead of having to select them?

Edit: Actually, maybe that isn't necessary since you can select the files you want to view and don't need them all loaded. Love this. Thanks.

Last edited: