Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Threads with Unread Posts after Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
Earth
Before the upgrade, we used to be able to do the following:

1. View Watched Threads with Unread Posts
2. View Watched Forums with Unread Posts
3. View All Threads with Unread Posts

This was extremely helpful if you accidentally deleted your email notifications, or something else. #3 is useful if you're looking for some other unread content.

Also, it's no longer easy to see what threads have unread content in general.

Aside from those issues, the forum update looks a bit slicker than before, and seems pretty snappy in general.

Edit: Looks like the thread title is BOLD if there are unread posts. Not that obvious...

Edit: Looks like the thread title is BOLD if there are unread posts. Not that obvious...

Yeah, that is the way one determines if the thread has new posts. Perhaps there is a way for us to make it more obvious.

While the unread ones are bold, I can barely see a difference between bold and not bold, at least in the dark theme. And the unread/bold items could be spread over many pages, so if you can bring back the unread watched threads filter it would be very helpful.

I've updated my Tampermonkey script to hide all read threads in the "Watched Threads" view.

You can install it from here once you have the Tampermonkey browser extension installed:

This helps the situation only on the desktop browser, but the lack of "Watched Unread Threads" is still a problem on mobile (my primary access method).

Last edited:
OK, I noticed something new - when you click on "New Posts", there are filters, and there's a "Show only: Unread" filter selected by default.

2021-03-08_15-48.png

So that is good and configurable filters are nice there.

And I see that you can add a filter so that you can filter new posts for both unread and watched content.

2021-03-08_15-51.png

Now I just need a way to directly link to a new search that matches that...

OK, I noticed something new - when you click on "New Posts", there are filters, and there's a "Show only: Unread" filter selected by default.

View attachment 642745

So that is good and configurable filters are nice there.

And I see that you can add a filter so that you can filter new posts for both unread and watched content.

View attachment 642747

Now I just need a way to directly link to a new search that matches that...

Interesting. Your method shows all unread posts in watched forums.

We still can't do "Unread Watched Threads" like we could before.

In terms of other filters, the ones on the old TMC version were all useful at different times:
Unread Posts
Threads with new posts
Watched Threads Unread
...etc.

Sorry, can you explain you mean by this? Do you mean a keyword search that only shows you unread watched threads?

Also, please note that you can save your filters here:
View attachment 642749

Thank you! I missed that checkbox, and it does appear that now while I don't have quite the same control as before (the ability to view unread watched threads independently from unread watched forums), for my purposes this is fine.

Interesting. Your method shows all unread posts in watched forums.

We still can't do "Unread Watched Threads" like we could before.

In terms of other filters, the ones on the old TMC version were all useful at different times:
Unread Posts
Threads with new posts
Watched Threads Unread
...etc.

Hank, you do get the ability to show all unread posts in watched threads, as well as forums. Unfortunately, not one or the other as mentioned above.

I do agree that it would still be very helpful to have separate direct links to searched for "Watched threads with unread posts" and "Watched forums with unread posts". Could probably figure out a way to create bookmarks for this, but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.