Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it's all automatic unless you want to amend the information and report a queue.

Andyw2100's overactive "tone detector" to the contrary, I hope you understand that I meant nothing harsh in my comments about the inaccuracy of SuperCharger information.

Being brand new to trying the app, and without having read through the first 10 pages of the thread, I hadn't noticed your earlier posts telling how you get SpC user info so I did not understand that the data were dependent on affirmative user input. I thought it would be useful to you to know that the data at present were entirely inaccurate. If I understand correctly now, it would take probably 10% of motivated Tesla-Waze users among the population at busy SuperChargers, manually reporting, for the data to be very accurate; a pretty tall order right now.

Just having ordinary Waze info visible on a large screen is a great advantage for users as well as a promoter of safety by keeping drivers from trying to log in and peer at a tiny, hand held screen on a smart phone while driving in traffic.

At the moment, Waze is reporting police at three locations within a half mile on Brookhurst St in Huntington Beach. Is that just an artifact of the reporting algorithm using the user's location at the time of reporting and so likely to be just one police car somewhere in that half mile?

Thanks for the good work

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It would really be cool when you are doing long distance traveling that you could reserve a charging station like Open Table. The system could keep track of your progress and either shutdown a local or prohibit a local from charging when you are just about to arrive. They could post your name or license number on a marquee on the charger kind of like Hertz does at rental locations. If they added your ETA than non reservationists would know that they were taking a spot that had limited use. And a website could provide the same status as is mentioned above.

Not going to happen but I can dream.

Reactions: Softwizard
Forgive me if there is a dedicated thread on this topic, but if there is I haven't found it. I've become so addicted to Waze that I tend to use it over a fairly good navigation system in my 535i and despite the fact this means I lose the nice heads up display (HUD) in my car. I read one post that notes that Tesla's rerouting approach uses Waze data, but my issue is that I have two primary routes home, and deciding between the two is really simplest with Waze. And I've also found it's predictive algorithm related to commute time keeps getting better, and is often frighteningly accurate.

What I'd like to know from current MX users (or Model S owners waiting to switch to the MX) who are also Waze fans, is: How do you currently use Waze in your vehicles? That is, other than using your phone to effectively bypass the car's nav, which is what I'm doing now and frustrates me given the cost of my upgraded Nav and negation of the benefits of my HUD.

What I'd like to know from current MX users (or Model S owners waiting to switch to the MX)
I am unclear on why you are addressing your post only to X owners or S owners planning to switch to an X, since the Tesla in-car nav is the same in all S and X cars.

I am an S owner who uses Waze routinely simply because the Waze traffic data and driving times appear to me to be more accurate and up to date then the traffic data shown in the center display.

ksquared,

I've rented a Tesla four times. I've settled on using Waze only for short trips and both Waze and the NAV together if I need to supercharge along the way and for longer trips. I use Waze for road and traffic alerts (disabling the turn by turn direction announcements) and the NAV for everything else

On my last trip few weeks ago, the Tesla NAV actually saved me from a messy traffic jam on the Jersey Turnpike that Waze had not yet detected. If it were not for the NAV, I would have surely ended up stuck in that mess for an hour or more.

Last edited:
I am unclear on why you are addressing your post only to X owners or S owners planning to switch to an X, since the Tesla in-car nav is the same in all S and X cars.

I am an S owner who uses Waze routinely simply because the Waze traffic data and driving times appear to me to be more accurate and up to date then the traffic data shown in the center display.

Good point. No particular reason, and I did realize that the Model S drivers would provide the largest pool of experience. I'll ask the question there, as well.

I am pretty certain that Waze is built-into the MX Google Maps Nav. The Nav has a setting to reroute based on X number of minutes of time savings. It has told multiple times of new routing based on better routes.
Hmmm...really? That is news to me. I own an S, not an X, but I will be very surprised if the X has a nav feature that the S does not have.

Last month, at the Tesla "Sunday Social" event at my local SC (and at SC's across the country) the onboard nav functions were discussed. There was no mention of the X nav having a feature not present in the S nav.

Try using search ... there is a dedicated thread on this topic View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

The custom app is a great tool for viewing traffic conditions and police activity in real time. Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

upload_2016-5-25_21-24-22.png

I am new here, just received X a few days ago. The navigation system on the X provided by google is disappointing. it does not appear to offer alternate routes for traffic. I noticed this thread. is Waze running in/oveer the google nav icon map or does it need to be loaded and used inside the browser? If so, how do I upload the settings? Thanks

I am new here, just received X a few days ago. The navigation system on the X provided by google is disappointing. it does not appear to offer alternate routes for traffic. I noticed this thread. is Waze running in/oveer the google nav icon map or does it need to be loaded and used inside the browser? If so, how do I upload the settings? Thanks

You can use Waze on your mobile device (smartphone or tablet) in the car, or you can use Waze in the Tesla browser in the center display.

The navigation map shown in the center display is from Google but it does not show events shown in Waze, nor does it allow you to select alternate routes.

If you input a destination into the navigation map in the center display and you are satisfied with the route shown, then use it. If you are not satisfied with that route then I suggest you use Waze.

tesla browser? so it does not integrate into the tesla navigation/google map? and, tesla nav does not allow for auto rerouting for things like traffic? Thanks

Correct, it loads in the Tesla browser, and does not integrate.

Also, minor correction, while the route does overlay on the Google Map in the center console, the routing is done by Tesla. I believe they licensed navigation technology from Garmin/Navigon, who in turn uses Navteq maps. Elon has talked about accounting for traffic in routing, but apparently it's not been a priority thus far.

Btw, thanks for reminding me why I didn't pay $3750 for the "Tech Package" back in 2012. Sometimes I wish I had. This is not one of those times.

Reactions: EdA
Correct, it loads in the Tesla browser, and does not integrate.

Also, minor correction, while the route does overlay on the Google Map in the center console, the routing is done by Tesla. I believe they licensed navigation technology from Garmin/Navigon, who in turn uses Navteq maps. Elon has talked about accounting for traffic in routing, but apparently it's not been a priority thus far.

Btw, thanks for reminding me why I didn't pay $3750 for the "Tech Package" back in 2012. Sometimes I wish I had. This is not one of those times.
The update to the Nav software shows traffic (and has better detail than Waze).

The update to the Nav software shows traffic (and has better detail than Waze).
Not in my opinion. I use Waze on my phone and find it has much better traffic information.

When you say "Nav software" are you referring to the map on the center touchscreen, or the birdseye navigation view in the instrument cluster? Also, does it take traffic into account in routing and ETAs, or does it just display it?
Nav software in this case means the map shown in the center display.

I suspect the nav software takes traffic into account when showing the ETA, but am not sure. I do not believe that the nav software takes traffic into account when selecting a route, but again I am not sure of that.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
When you say "Nav software" are you referring to the map on the center touchscreen, or the birdseye navigation view in the instrument cluster? Also, does it take traffic into account in routing and ETAs, or does it just display it?
A bit off topic for the Waze posts but the Nav system goes way overboard on traffic rerouting on my Model X. I have gotten to the point of ignoring it.

It does not offer alternative routes (which I wish it did). Instead it automatically reroutes you. Sometimes it will take you way out of the way just to save you 5 minutes of time. I have watched it reroute in going into the bay area 5 or 6 times in the course of 50 miles.

What is missing that would be good is to offer to you the reroute and state how much it will expect to help and see if you want to accept it. Now it just runs off thinking it's best. Unless you were paying close attention just before the reroute took place you cannot see the time savings. And some of these routes are just BS. Like the other day it sent me off to city streets where the signals killed any potential savings.

The Nav does take traffic into consideration, and may re-route you after your start. Only about 1/2 of the time is the re-route beneficial.

Last weekend after charging at Burbank, (4 cars waiting), I got a routing to go side-streets to the 210 freeway, then to down Orange grove to the 110 freeway through downtown LA to the 5 south. Well after getting down orange grove it re-routed me to do a 180 back up orange grove to the 210 and eventually to the 215 S. through Temecula.

I gave up and finally just took the 5 south and fought the traffic. Long drive!!! I think I would have been better off just getting on the 5 from Burbank in the first place. I don't believe that it takes into consideration that you have access to the HOV lanes, and that regular reported traffic may not impede you as much as those outside of the HOV.

A toggle to disable re-routes should be added IMO.