Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waze voice alerts for Police are typically too short - likely to have already been on their Laser long before the Waze voice alert. (Long standard feature-request to have that increased, you can up-vote that, but given how many people have already done that I'm not sure it will help!!)

The Waze journey summary shows a horizontal line with icons for delays etc., and police. I use that to know if there is someone parked up ahead (that has the benefit of being on my journey, rather than "in vicinity of")
all true, but I think the app on the phone offers better functionality than the app for the car.

all true, but I think the app on the phone offers better functionality than the app for the car.

Where did you determine that the in-car app was supposed to match the phone app in functionality?

You do realize that Waze Mobile, the company who makes the phone app, is very protective of their data and does not offer to share it with anyone, and that the in-car app is a complete clever hack by ericwol, an independent programmer, to grab that data and display it for our convenience. On top of that, the Tesla browser performance is so slow that it's actually highly impressive that the in-car app works at all.

I believe your critique of the in-car app is unwarranted.

Where did you determine that the in-car app was supposed to match the phone app in functionality?
I never made such a comment, my comment was that I prefer the Iphone waze app.
You do realize that Waze Mobile, the company who makes the phone app, is very protective of their data and does not offer to share it with anyone, and that the in-car app is a complete clever hack by ericwol, an independent programmer, to grab that data and display it for our convenience. On top of that, the Tesla browser performance is so slow that it's actually highly impressive that the in-car app works at all.

and he's done a great job, my comment was not to denigrate any of his efforts, nonetheless I prefer the functionality of the Iphone app. do you know why cars come in more colors than just white?

I believe your critique of the in-car app is unwarranted.
I didn't make my comments to shed a negative light on his in-car app, I gave a few reasons why I prefer the Iphone app, I don't like to divert my eyes from the road to examine the screen, the refresh on the screen is low and I like the voice alerts that the Iphone app gives.
I don't know why you have an issue with my preferences, I won't pressure you to use the version of the app that I prefer, please try to extend the same courtesy.

Hello,

Used this on the way to work this morning. I really liked it, although I missed one speed trap do to lag in the refresh, looked far ahead of me on the map and then boom I was already through it. Think now that I am aware of the lag I will be able to anticipate.

Thanks!!
Tesla imposes a 30 seconds interval on GPS updates on the browser. I suspect that is is arbitrary, from the fact that their browser source code was ported from a mobile version. Mobile browsers usually limit GPS activity in some way to save power.

• Informative
Reactions: nyseman and Fiddler

and he's done a great job, my comment was not to denigrate any of his efforts, nonetheless I prefer the functionality of the Iphone app. do you know why cars come in more colors than just white?

I didn't make my comments to shed a negative light on his in-car app, I gave a few reasons why I prefer the Iphone app, I don't like to divert my eyes from the road to examine the screen, the refresh on the screen is low and I like the voice alerts that the Iphone app gives.
I don't know why you have an issue with my preferences, I won't pressure you to use the version of the app that I prefer, please try to extend the same courtesy.

Yes, we are hijacking the data feed from their website (Live Traffic Jam News & Updates Near You - Waze Maps). Currently users using this app is generating about 140k Waze API requests a day. They can decide to lock this down and remove our access to their data feed at anytime.

Performance:
Yea, the tesla browser is slow. It's been almost a year since the new browser was promised. This is definitely blocking me from adding more feature to it. Some of the performance issues, Google maps can solve, like disabling animations, but they "won't fix" the bug.

Audio Alerts:
This is something that I also want, but Tesla does not support audio in their browser. I suspect that this fall under the multimedia category, which they most likely will not enable.

Slow Updates:
Tesla browser imposes a 30 second interval between GPS location updates.

Navigation routing:
This can be implemented using their web API. Because of the performance of the browser, this may not be a very compelling experience. If we get a new/faster browser, I will implement this.

Please review your statements:

I find that the app on the Iphone is a better way of using waze, the updates are quicker and the voice alerts mean I don't need to divert my eyes from the roadway ahead to view the screen

Those do not appear to be statements of preference. They read as a functional comparison of the two apps, as if they were in competition.

ericwol never intended the in-car browser-based app to compete with Waze, but only to offer a subset of features that was within technical restrictions for convenience. It is a given that ericwol's in-car app does not have all of the features of the phone app, nor was it intended to.

I stand by my judgment that these statements appear to be a critique of the in-car app, which I believe was not necessary.

It appears from your most recent post that you did not intend this and that you recognize the value of the in-car app, but simply prefer to use the Waze phone app. That is understandable, it just did not sound like that in your earlier posts.

I also use the Waze phone app in certain situations rather than the in-car app because there are time where I need the additional functionality, such as turn-by-turn navigation in heavy traffic. Waze excels at traffic routing far better than the Tesla nav. In addition, I submit road alerts through the phone app when I can.

I use the in-car app in most other situations, as my primary use is seeing traffic flows and road hazards, especially on a more zoomed-out view than the phone gives you, and on a much larger screen. I also like the advantage that the in-car app does not burn the phone battery like the Waze phone app does.

I appreciate and thank ericwol for all of his efforts with this app, as it's one of the primary items I have on the Tesla center display at all times.

what part of I FIND or I THINK is confusing to you?

Neither. Those phrases simply indicate that the following statement is your opinion rather than a fact. But we already know that.

The issue is that I believed your opinion stemmed from an incorrect premise -- that the phone app and the in-car app were meant to compete, which they are not.

This isn't a big deal. I happen to believe that ericwol's in-car app is probably the best single application written for the Tesla browser and I think he deserves kudos, not critiques. If you believe you've clarified that you didn't critique the in-car app, then great, I think we're on the same page.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Neither. Those phrases simply indicate that the following statement is your opinion rather than a fact. But we already know that.
bingo! the comments that I made reflect my opinion not some nefarious attack on the app or it's creator like you implied it was. the statement was and remains I prefer waze on the iphone versus the app for the tesla, I provided my rational, no statements of facts just an opinion.
do both of us a favor and just stop.

Yes, we are hijacking the data feed from their website (Live Traffic Jam News & Updates Near You - Waze Maps). Currently users using this app is generating about 140k Waze API requests a day. They can decide to lock this down and remove our access to their data feed at anytime.

Performance:
Yea, the tesla browser is slow. It's been almost a year since the new browser was promised. This is definitely blocking me from adding more feature to it. Some of the performance issues, Google maps can solve, like disabling animations, but they "won't fix" the bug.

Audio Alerts:
This is something that I also want, but Tesla does not support audio in their browser. I suspect that this fall under the multimedia category, which they most likely will not enable.

Slow Updates:
Tesla browser imposes a 30 second interval between GPS location updates.

Navigation routing:
This can be implemented using their web API. Because of the performance of the browser, this may not be a very compelling experience. If we get a new/faster browser, I will implement this.

Eric:

I’ve been SAVED by your work multiple times - can you please let me know how I can contribute to support your costs/efforts - I guarantee it would be less that I could have paid to all of the sleazy speed trap towns I have driven through...

• Love
Reactions: Tech_Guy and JHawk
Teslawaze is amazing!!!!!!!! :cool:

I've been using teslawaze in the browser for a long time and when the redirect happened to the new URL at azure popped up I got worried. That worry was completely unwarranted because the newer version is fantastic. Wish I followed this thread more regularly.

@ericwol Thank you for increasing the enjoyment I get out of my car and all your hard work to make this possible. Really wish i could donate something for your efforts.

First, a big thanks to @fact200 for his support to this community and hosting his Tesla Waze app. I'm also glad a I some free time to move this forward and add a few more features. I plan on keeping this freely available as hosting on Azure does not really cost me anything right now. We will see what happens when Model 3's start hitting the road :)
Sorry I'm late to the party, but is there a donation link to take advantage of?

how can you enable turn by turn navigation?

That's not a feature that is available. Its a static map showing incidents (from Waze data) in your area.

I use Waze on my phone for turn-by-turn (and congestion etc. rerouting) and the car SatNav for a nice big map of the vicinity. But Tesla need to overhaul the Infotainment (have needed to for YEARS already ... :( ) and if Tesla did a deal with Waze to user their Tech we'd all be happy :)

it's very slow and unresponsiv on the in car browser. Is that normal?

I think there is some sort of limitation of how often the Tesla browser refreshes - maybe that is what you are seeing?

I'm new to Tesla Waze. I haven't read the entire thread, but how can you enable turn by turn navigation? Also it's very slow and unresponsiv on the in car browser. Is that normal?
Jake -Teslawaze is the result of a fellow Tesla owner’s efforts to allow us to use Waze on the big screen for traffic and other purposes (I.e. speed traps, accidents, etc). It is not sold as a product and the creator apparently refuses to accept $$$ for his efforts from fellow Tesla enthusiasts.

It is capable of limited reporting with the screen but is not a fully functional product due to Tesla’s browser restrictions.

This is a great service he has performed for the community.

I'm new to Tesla Waze. I haven't read the entire thread, but how can you enable turn by turn navigation?

Waze web API does support routing. The only thing that is holding me back right now is that the current browser is too slow to support navigation. If we get an updated browser, I will definitely add this.

I'm new to Tesla Waze. I haven't read the entire thread, but how can you enable turn by turn navigation? Also it's very slow and unresponsiv on the in car browser. Is that normal?

Several issues here, the tesla browser and MCU is slow, Google maps insists on using animations which is slow on the tesla browser, and Telsa limits GPS location to every 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]