Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ALWAYS have GPS on top, and this on bottom. We even keep Waze open on our phone so we can report conditions while on our trips.

We're doing exactly the same. It's completely eliminated my use of radar detectors since they had too many false alarms... and Eric's WAZE for Tesla has kept me ticket free driving one of the fastest cars on the planet. :D

Reactions: JHawk and Tech_Guy
Man, I’m already missing this! It’s always been top of screen for me. I feel like I’m driving somewhat blind without it. (I do know about the phone app)

Thanks, Eric, for keeping it going so far. Hopefully there is a path to getting it on-line again.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
Warnings are visual only... No audio. Not a problem making this part of my routine visual scanning (speed, remaining miles, mirrors, etc.) especially with Autopilot engaged. :D

True, but here where you and I live in SoCal, the hidden cops and traffic cameras are so often on surface streets as well. Especially in BevHills, WeHo, etc. The Waze phone app's audible alerts are go great. Forget paying $3k for FSD. I'd gladly pay Elon that much to have NATIVE Waze navigation PLUS alerts on my center screen!!!! NOT KIDDING.

Elon, if you or your people read this, please do this -- many of us will happily pay for it to happen. Alternatively, you can create your own equivalent but it MUST have Waze-style alerts!

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca and JHawk
Well, it looks like Google removed support for the last version of Google maps that was still compatible with the Tesla browser. It looks like this also impacted other websites like PlugShare from also working on the Tesla browser. Google Maps version 3.30 or higher is broken. We really need an updated version of the Tesla web browser.
Eric thank you so much. . I've slowed down before so many speed traps. .. thanks again you are a legend!!!!

This is a web app that I use each day. Eric, thanks for all your work on this, and I hope you’ll continue it after Tesla updates the browser. I just sent a email to [email protected] and [email protected] to ask nicely that they update the browser. The Tesla browser is actually very useful, not as a traditional web browser, but as a window into custom web apps that extends the functionality of the 17" main screen. I hope they do not abandon us and update the web browse so we can continue to use it to extend the function of an otherwise exceptional machine.

Well, it looks like Google removed support for the last version of Google maps that was still compatible with the Tesla browser. It looks like this also impacted other websites like PlugShare from also working on the Tesla browser. Google Maps version 3.30 or higher is broken. We really need an updated version of the Tesla web browser.

Eric, let us know what we can do to help escalate this issue with Tesla or Google :cool:

Reactions: BrokerDon and Nevek
"I'm still seeing the maps and traffic but lost the car marker and police/incident reports icons.
Is Google map API version different in Canada or this is what you're all seeing also?
(Also trying to get a detailed email report to Tesla service).

Yes this is the issue. Icons do not display on the map with the current version of Google Maps JavaScript API. They removed support for version 3.29, any versions higher than that is broken in the Tesla browser. I was able to dump out the console logs from the Tesla browser and there was no google maps error messages in them. The next step is to find an old version of WebKit to repro this issue on the desktop and trace thru the Google Maps javascript and find the issue and see if we can work around it from our end.

During the summer, I was bitching to a friend that works on Chrome at Google, about the Google Maps bugs that they resolved as won't fix, which would improve our experience on the Tesla Browser. His response was that they just don't care about the sub 1% users scenarios. So, basically don't expect much love from Google side.

I subitted an executive escalation request from my tesla account pleading Elon to update the in car browser as he has promised specifically since I use your app every day, thank you for everything you have done up to this point Eric and I hope I can use your app again after the update comes.

My response from tesla:

Thanks for contacting Tesla and providing this feedback. I have submitted your feedback as a feature request to our engineering team whom reviews these requests prior to future firmware updates. Thanks for your support and please continue to provide feedback!

Best,

Emmett D. | Executive Care Team

45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538

I just re-located Elon's tweet on browser update and replied with my second tweet ever with this subject! ;-)
Hope it helps more than emails. Enjoy.
Patrice Hebert on Twitter

If you all show love to that tweet, it might get Elon's attention...

Liked and commented. Funny, I also created twitter only so I can tweet at Musk! LOL He's never replied to me on Twitter, but has taken action when I emailed him on his private Tesla email!

@ericwol Again, thanks for taking this on... and on ... an on... Today was my first day with 150+ miles and no TesalWaze as we knew it. I am amazed at how much I have depended on it!! Just replied to Patrice Hebert's Elon tweet. Anything else we can do? Do we have a better chance nudging Tesla or Google or both? My guess is Tesla. Glad to participate in whatever groundswell movement we need!!

Thanks again @ericwol

@ericwol Again, thanks for taking this on... and on ... an on... Today was my first day with 150+ miles and no TesalWaze as we knew it. I am amazed at how much I have depended on it!! Just replied to Patrice Hebert's Elon tweet. Anything else we can do? Do we have a better chance nudging Tesla or Google or both? My guess is Tesla. Glad to participate in whatever groundswell movement we need!!

Thanks again @ericwol

I'm trying to find a desktop version of a (very old) webkit browser that exhibits this problem, so that I can trace thu the google maps javascript and hopefully can find a workaround. If I was smart, I should archive their old code so that I can diff it to see what changed. The funny part is that my website still is processing about 250k request a day... so not everyone is impacted by this? Is anyone actually seeing this work?