Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Map still displays and tracks for me with road traffic color conditions. I do not see vehicle icon, any incident icons or wind direction indicator. Wind speed was still displaying.

This is top of screen for me every day. Really missing it. Here in the Midwest where the wind is always blowing I find the wind direction and speed information really valuable. A 25mph headwind is something you want to know about!

Thank you for all your work on this!!!

The funny part is that my website still is processing about 250k request a day... so not everyone is impacted by this? Is anyone actually seeing this work?
I'm still using it too. In addition to the operating features mentioned, it also continues to have the Red Light camera alerts. It does show traffic, too. Just not with the arrows as before.
Thanks for this valuable app.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm trying to find a desktop version of a (very old) webkit browser that exhibits this problem, so that I can trace thu the google maps javascript and hopefully can find a workaround. If I was smart, I should archive their old code so that I can diff it to see what changed. The funny part is that my website still is processing about 250k request a day... so not everyone is impacted by this? Is anyone actually seeing this work?

The Tesla browser is currently showing only traffic and police speed trap enforcement areas on the Waze map ... really missing this app :cool:

If I was smart, I should archive their old code so that I can diff it to see what changed.

I'm sure you must have thought of this, so doubtful its of any use. Does the Wayback Machine have archives of in-pages JS / include-files in its pages?

I read an article that said one of the problems with Wayback pages was that they had old JS, which used old versions of APIs and thus no longer worked 'coz they attempted to talk to other systems using outdated API. But if that is the case might work in your favour and provide a supply of historical versions ...

I'm trying to find a desktop version of a (very old) webkit browser that exhibits this problem, so that I can trace thu the google maps javascript and hopefully can find a workaround. If I was smart, I should archive their old code so that I can diff it to see what changed. The funny part is that my website still is processing about 250k request a day... so not everyone is impacted by this? Is anyone actually seeing this work?

Traffic/construction still works on your maps and complements the top map when you have a destination entered...as traffic becomes hard to see on the Tesla map with the big blue line hiding detailed traffic. That might be why...

Or people have not noticed yet the missing cops icons and might be caught by reality the hard way...speeding ticket!
Might want to mention it when loading the page if possible...until (keeping my hopes up) you find a workaround :)

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yesterday evening we drove I-8 east into the mountains. The TeslaWaze map loaded up so I could follow wind speed, not direction, and elevation. My wife loaded Waze on her phone so we could get the traffic info. Late last night coming home I never was able to get the TeslaWaze to load up but we did have the phone Waze app open.

For our previous trips we used both Tesla and phone Waze. We used the phone so we could actually report conditions that we came upon. Now, and until Tesla updates the on-board browser, it looks like the Phone Waze app will be the only way to get traffic conditions. But at least we can all contribute to Waze by reporting what we find.

As a side note, last July while driving through northern Florida on a State highway an on-coming car flashed his headlights at me. It took me a few seconds to remember that this was the signal for "beware, Smokey ahead" so I slowed down. Sure enough, a short time later I saw the cop car on the side of the road so we were able to report it on Waze.

the audio notification was not working correctly

I find that the notification distance (on Waze phone APP) is too short - particularly for Laser detector - increasing that range is a much requested (but seemingly ignored ...) Waze feature. That might be what caught you out? I periodically touch the bottom-bar which displays the trip-overview with icons for slow traffic, police cars, etc. to check what is ahead (i.e. ON my route)

I've followed this thread for a long time and never quite got my head around how folk have used dashboard Tesla Waze as I just use Phone Waze and let it reroute me for traffic / delays etc. Maybe it represents a difference between UK road-structure and driving and USA road layout? Or maybe I'm just dense?!!

I find that the notification distance (on Waze phone APP) is too short - particularly for Laser detector - increasing that range is a much requested (but seemingly ignored ...) Waze feature. That might be what caught you out? I periodically touch the bottom-bar which displays the trip-overview with icons for slow traffic, police cars, etc. to check what is ahead (i.e. ON my route)

I've followed this thread for a long time and never quite got my head around how folk have used dashboard Tesla Waze as I just use Phone Waze and let it reroute me for traffic / delays etc. Maybe it represents a difference between UK road-structure and driving and USA road layout? Or maybe I'm just dense?!!

The Tesla Waze app for the main display does not provide navigation service and routing.
It has been designed to provide real time information on traffic, accidents and police locations :cool:

Not sure how old you are looking for, but Safari for Windows used webkit, and it hasn't been updated in ages. You can download it from filehippo and get the details of the webkit versions from wikipedia:
Safari version history - Wikipedia
Safari 5.1.7

The Tesla Waze app for the main display does not provide navigation service and routing.
It has been designed to provide real time information on traffic, accidents and police locations

Thanks, yes aware of that, just haven't got my head around how having a map of the overall area, with alerts, is helpful compared to my usage which is just to let Waze (on my phone) adjust my route according to traffic etc. and give me both audio turn-by-turn instructions and alerts for incidents (on my route)

I don't know if it is a UK / USA thing? or maybe a Urban vs. Rural (that's me ...) thing, but I am not interested in knowing what the status of surrounding roads is, only the route that I am on.

I expect I am missing the main trick though ...

Thanks, yes aware of that, just haven't got my head around how having a map of the overall area, with alerts, is helpful compared to my usage which is just to let Waze (on my phone) adjust my route according to traffic etc. and give me both audio turn-by-turn instructions and alerts for incidents (on my route)

I don't know if it is a UK / USA thing? or maybe a Urban vs. Rural (that's me ...) thing, but I am not interested in knowing what the status of surrounding roads is, only the route that I am on.

I think it's more of a personal preference and situation-specific. I use the in-car app all the time primarily because the Waze app itself will generate sub-optimal routing in several urban areas where I travel. Therefore, it's generated routing is not useful. If I have a large view of the area with Waze alert icons, I can generate a better route in my head.

Waze, Google, Apple maps, etc. all suffer from the same issue -- they generate their routing based on certain assumptions, which can frequently be inaccurate. Here's some examples:

1. An accident on a road will almost always cause the apps to generate a route that goes around it, but that accident doesn't necessarily block my own route. If the accident is at an intersection or just beyond it, but I'm turning right, my path may not be blocked or slowed.

2. Path generation in the app goes by time that's inferred from the average traffic speed on that road and/or speed limits. But traffic signals are a huge variable factor. Traffic signals can slow a surface street way more than the average traffic speed would otherwise indicate. A parallel freeway or parkway, even if congested, moves faster in many cases. This is one area where you see a UK/US difference, because UK uses many more roundabouts which don't have as much time variability, whereas roundabouts are relatively scarce in the US.

3. There are areas of certain surface streets where there is a lot of on-street parallel parking. The apps interpret these parked cars as traffic, and this can shift a generated route away from those streets, even though they're fine for through traffic.

Knowing some of these things, as well as historical traffic patterns in my area, allows me to generate my own route that's more optimal than what Waze can generate, but to do it I need a large map with all the traffic information and incidents displayed.

2. Path generation in the app goes by time that's inferred from the average traffic speed on that road and/or speed limits. But traffic signals are a huge variable factor. Traffic signals can slow a surface street way more than the average traffic speed would otherwise indicate.

But the average traffic speed for a particular route includes those cars stopping for traffic lights. 99% of the traffic data these apps use (Google, waze, etc) is captured from peoples' mobile devices reporting back their speed and location (but obviously not at the same time, nerd ;) ). I found the travel time estimates on surface streets, including lights, to be very accurate.

. There are areas of certain surface streets where there is a lot of on-street parallel parking. The apps interpret these parked cars as traffic

How do the apps do that?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
UK uses many more roundabouts which don't have as much time variability, whereas roundabouts are relatively scarce in the US.

Helpful to have your input, thanks.

Sadly increasingly, on large/important roundabouts, we are installing lights as well ... went via one the other day, I've been going that way for years, its a very significant interchange but I've never had any significant delay, it now has lights and I got stopped in both directions for an unreasonable amount of time, and significant line of cars formed ... I cannot see that this was needed ... unrelated to this topic though! ... although ... Waze might start routing me around it in future for exactly the reason you suggest ...

generate a route that goes around it,

In towns here, where I reckon traffic density is heavier than USA, that's almost always a good thing. In London I've seen Waze advise 3-sides-of-a-square, I've thought "Nuts" and gone straight on, and then immediately had 10 minutes added to my journey time .... so I now prefer whatever Waze is smoking today ... but if it was on a bigger screen, and was also able to show me how much time it was planning to save me I might well ignore it for small values of X (I have recently been getting some sort of "This route is X minutes faster than this OTHER route" messages, but down on my phone they are too hard to see, and I ain't planning to duct-tape phone to dash, or similar ugly bolt-on, so might be better for folk who have Waze-on-phone in their eye line :) )

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I found the travel time estimates on surface streets, including lights, to be very accurate.

Me too. Waze will route me on a rat-run around the side of the local Town if I go at rush-hour, based on "Normal traffic for that time of day" I think. If schools are on holiday I'll ignore it, and encounter no wait, so seems to be "Recurring occurrence/average at this time" beating "Actual at this time" data.

But the average traffic speed for a particular route includes those cars stopping for traffic lights. 99% of the traffic data these apps use (Google, waze, etc) is captured from peoples' mobile devices reporting back their speed and location (but obviously not at the same time, nerd ;) ). I found the travel time estimates on surface streets, including lights, to be very accurate.

How do the apps do that?

Estimates by Waze in my experience are significantly over-optimistic for surface streets with traffic lights. I can literally watch the estimated arrival time tick up minute by minute as I wait in that traffic. It's always faster to go to the freeway, even though it's stop-and-go traffic.

I think part of that is what happens at a traffic light ... there are several in my area where how long you wait depends on whether you're going straight or turning at the intersection. At one intersection in particular, if you're turning left, you're going to wait a LOT longer than people who are going straight. I don't think the apps make any differentiation ... the average traffic speed through the intersection isn't that bad because the people going straight bring the average wait time down. But if you're turning left, the calculated route through that intersection is sub-optimal.

On the parallel parking, I think people who park and then get out of their car give that info back to the mapping apps, they moved partway down the street, then didn't move for a few minutes. The app on the phone then realizes that they aren't driving anymore, so it stops relaying map data, but the one or two erroneous reports before that have already "poisoned" the data for that street.

This also happens near schools where parents are picking up kids, because the parents (and their phones) are staying in the car and waiting. Yet the line to pick up the students is actually not on the road, it's on a pickup driveway adjacent to the road -- the road itself is relatively clear.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This also happens near schools where parents are picking up kids, because the parents (and their phones) are staying in the car and waiting.

Interesting. I would have expected "average speed" to favour "fastest driver". So if most traffic is terribly slow, but one or two vehicles appear to zoom through, then that implies there is no holdup.

Of course rather than "most are stopping to drop off at school" it might be that most people are making a terrible lane choice ... but one or two people know you can zoom up the inside and cut in late, or whatever ... and that's not really representative of average travel time either.

Toss a coin then I reckon :rolleyes: