Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the parallel parking, I think people who park and then get out of their car give that info back to the mapping apps, they moved partway down the street, then didn't move for a few minutes. The app on the phone then realizes that they aren't driving anymore, so it stops relaying map data, but the one or two erroneous reports before that have already "poisoned" the data for that street.

With all the time and development put into these mapping/traffic apps, and the data they collect, that solving this problem is simple compared to some others. I really do not think a row of parallel parked cars would ever fool the traffic apps into being actual traffic. It's so easy to detect when someone is parking and just throw out that data. In fact, the phone/device itself can micro-detect a short reverse movement and just not report any data after that point until significant forward movement is detected. See? Problem solved.

This also happens near schools where parents are picking up kids, because the parents (and their phones) are staying in the car and waiting. Yet the line to pick up the students is actually not on the road, it's on a pickup driveway adjacent to the road -- the road itself is relatively clear.

Yes, but in my experience, school pick up lines move very slowly, but they are moving, and therefore not parked. It's actual traffic and reported/reflected accurately in the apps.

It's always faster to go to the freeway, even though it's stop-and-go traffic.

I just don't think you can make cold, blanket statements like that. Literally every case is different, even hour-to-hour.

Around here, when I95 backs up between the NY state border and Norwalk, it's a freaking parking lot. Route 1 (Post Road) which parallels the highway the entire way is often much faster than taking the highway, lights and left turns included.

By 4pm today, 95 will be blood red and not moving, while the surface streets are just fine.

upload_2018-2-20_12-40-0.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and FlatSix911
when I95 backs up between the NY state border and Norwalk, it's a freaking parking lot

Sounds like you are talking about the M25 around London ... :rolleyes:

I've had Waze progressively decide its gone from bad to much, much, worse and then reroute me the long way around the circle ...

... but that's a problem in an EV of course, because although it may well be quicker its a heck of a lot further, and is likely to give me a range issue. Its a bit over 100 miles around, so if my journey was including 1/3rd of that then going the long way around will add 30 miles or so

I just don't think you can make cold, blanket statements like that. Literally every case is different, even hour-to-hour.

I did not clarify, but I meant that statement in the context of "in my area" and "around afternoon rush hour".

At those points, Waze will consistently plot a route on surface streets, but a nearby freeway will always get me home about 5 minutes faster than Waze's ETA for the surface street route. Yes, I have also followed Waze's calculated route and the actual ETA varies from on-estimate to several minutes later than estimated.

Last edited:
Yes, but in my experience, school pick up lines move very slowly, but they are moving, and therefore not parked. It's actual traffic and reported/reflected accurately in the apps.

Yes, but the app thinks that's on the road, not in the driveway, so it affects routing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Waze and think it's very useful, and indeed I use it all the time especially for driving in unfamiliar areas or for longer distances where there are more opportunities for optimizations. But in my experience, there are shortcomings in the routing that I can still beat with my own knowledge.

I just uploaded a hack to get the waze alerts back. The car icon, traffic camera locations, police traps, etc, are not functional yet, but it's a step in the right direction. I'm confidant I can get this working again.

Eric, the TMC community thanks you for restoring functionality to the Waze app today!
I didn't know how much I would miss it when it was absent ... I really was relying on the police alerts :cool:
You should consider setting up a go-fund-me page to keep this valuable service going for the long term.

@ericwol thanks for all the excellent work.
Am I the only one that has an issue if selecting a event (eg accident, ...)
In the past, it would open a window with more details on the event and even comments from other Waze users.
Now, it freezes the screen and I guess it crashes as the page reloads after a minute or so. I’m on the latest 2018.6.1.
Anyone else?

@ericwol thanks for all the excellent work.
Am I the only one that has an issue if selecting a event (eg accident, ...)
In the past, it would open a window with more details on the event and even comments from other Waze users.
Now, it freezes the screen and I guess it crashes as the page reloads after a minute or so. I’m on the latest 2018.6.1.
Anyone else?
It works on my Tesla. Try turning off the traffic cameras in the enforcement settings. Something that I need to look into.

So... are the changes/fixes avail? I’m still not seeing the car arrow, wind direction, or incident icons. Map tiles load, traffic red yellow green lines show, weather overlay loads, and I get road closed icons only...

I’ve reloaded the site without using my bookmark also... thoughts?