Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the end....

As you may not know, but Google has decided to charge for all access to their mapping service. At my current usage, I'm looking in an excess of $800 a month to continue running this service. Even if I remove the elevation usage, I'm still looking at $500 a month in charges.

These are exorbitant prices on top of the "dick move" by Google that only gives people 30 days to move off of their platform.

Sadly, the TeslaWaze website will be taken down at the end of May.

I will be exploring other options, but make no promises if this site will ever exists in the future.

Thanks guys for all your support,
Eric
Any possibility to move to Open Street Map? Probably not trivial.

This is the end....
As you may not know, but Google has decided to charge for all access to their mapping service. At my current usage, I'm looking in an excess of $800 a month to continue running this service. Even if I remove the elevation usage, I'm still looking at $500 a month in charges. These are exorbitant prices on top of the "dick move" by Google that only gives people 30 days to move off of their platform.
I will be exploring other options, but make no promises if this site will ever exists in the future.
Thanks guys for all your support, Eric
Eric, thank you for providing a great service to Tesla owners over the last few years.
This may not be the end... please consider a subscription model to keep it going :cool:

Any possibility to move to Open Street Map? Probably not trivial.
It's an option. I'm not the only one getting screwed by Google and I'm following the forms to see that other people are doing.

There are other options:
Bing maps: (cost fee is to complicated to understand without actually switching over to see what you get billed).
Mapbox: Seams like the favorite so far. Fees cost is about $7 a month (10x less than google)
OpenStreetMaps: Really this is OpenLayers. More work, but than you control everything.

It's an option. I'm not the only one getting screwed by Google and I'm following the forms to see that other people are doing.

There are other options:
Bing maps: (cost fee is to complicated to understand without actually switching over to see what you get billed).
Mapbox: Seams like the favorite so far. Fees cost is about $7 a month (10x less than google)
OpenStreetMaps: Really this is OpenLayers. More work, but than you control everything.
I really appreciate all that you have done with this and I think we all understand if it is just too much to continue.
Thanks very much.

Thanks for all your work on this. I use this all the time and is the far sueperior tripping solution. I don’t know what Google is trying to get out of this, seems really evil to lure developers in with something that is free, get others to pour the heart and sweat into it and then blackmail with super high fees.

Have you try to contact Google to see if they can make an exception? Is not like you are making any money on this, if they say no, then they are not getting anything from you anyway. Maybe they’ll let you by and not be evil.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think the whole point now is NOT to pay Google.

Idea:

Instead of showing a map, show nearby situations with your followed path shown and predicted path based on direction of travel.

Wondering if without the map background this also opens up space to put the details of the important things near you. Meaning if someone put a police tip down, show the detail of that item.

There are other options:

Eric, I think many of us would be willing to subscribe to your application. I agree that Google should not get any money if possible. Please consider one of the lower cost alternatives to migrate you application to and let us know what $$ you need to keep Tesla-Waze alive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tech_Guy
This is the end....

As you may not know, but Google has decided to charge for all access to their mapping service. At my current usage, I'm looking in an excess of $800 a month to continue running this service. Even if I remove the elevation usage, I'm still looking at $500 a month in charges.

These are exorbitant prices on top of the "dick move" by Google that only gives people 30 days to move off of their platform.

Thanks guys for all your support,
Eric

THANK YOU for all you've done! Have you contacted Waze? I'd hope they'd see the tremendous value in your making their service available to Tesla drivers (arguably tech market makers) and cover what to them would be a trivial annual cost. Does Alphabet still own Waze? Are they still in competition with sibling Google Maps?