Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Waze Incidents on the Tesla browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THANK YOU for all you've done! Have you contacted Waze? I'd hope they'd see the tremendous value in your making their service available to Tesla drivers (arguably tech market makers) and cover what to them would be a trivial annual cost. Does Alphabet still own Waze? Are they still in competition with sibling Google Maps?
One of the best things, amoung many, with Eric’s Waze data implementation for our browser is the lack of extraneous clutter displayed. That “clutter” of ads is how Google/Waze makes money. I suspect they won’t be interested in helping their crowd-sourced data be used without being paid in some way.

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
THANK YOU for all you've done! Have you contacted Waze? I'd hope they'd see the tremendous value in your making their service available to Tesla drivers (arguably tech market makers) and cover what to them would be a trivial annual cost. Does Alphabet still own Waze? Are they still in competition with sibling Google Maps?
Google owns Waze. I suspect it won't be free much longer.

I suspect it won't be free much longer

Google are harvesting all the journey data, and traffic reports from users, which might have a value?

But, that said, I did wonder why Tesla are going down the route of inventing their own data, when Waze data seems extremely comprehensive - and improbable that Tesla data will be, at least on Day One / in remote areas. I presume that Tesla would have used Waze data if it was affordable - long term.

Perhaps Tesla will harvest all car-data when the car is travelling below optimum speed for that road, and construct delay-data from that - no need for the user to do anything (although Police reports need user-input ...)

If a side effect of Tesla's "home grown" solution causes Waze to never charge for their data it would have been better for Tesla to use the Waze-data from the outset!

Perhaps Tesla will harvest all car-data when the car is travelling below optimum speed for that road, and construct delay-data from that - no need for the user to do anything (although Police reports need user-input ...)

They are moving to MapBox, which is based on Open Street Maps. Their hope is to have large companies fund open source maps.

Tesla’s highly-anticipated new navigation and maps engine is coming this weekend, says Elon Musk

They already are.

Tesla releases new Waze-like crowdsourced traffic data with latest navigation update

damn, we've been waiting for almost 2 years for a new browser to be able to run this page a bit more responsive, now it's finally here and we hit this wall :( I'd be willing to pay for a subscription for sure !

Thank you for all your work !

Eric, I wish the Tesla design and programming folks had used your app on their cars. It would have been nice if they could have used the best features of yours and incorporated them into the new nav, such as the wind direction circling the car icon, as well as the wind speed and elevation in the box on the bottom right.

Although I have enjoyed having the GPS map on top and your app on bottom, it would be nice to have it all on the one screen and be able to have something else on bottom.

Thanks again. You will forever be in the Tesla drivers "HALL OF FAME", at least in mine, lol.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Eric, I wish the Tesla design and programming folks had used your app on their cars. It would have been nice if they could have used the best features of yours and incorporated them into the new nav, such as the wind direction circling the car icon, as well as the wind speed and elevation in the box on the bottom right.

Although I have enjoyed having the GPS map on top and your app on bottom, it would be nice to have it all on the one screen and be able to have something else on bottom.

Thanks again. You will forever be in the Tesla drivers "HALL OF FAME", at least in mine, lol.

There is no way they don't know about this site as it drives 33 GB of data thru their cell network per week.

upload_2018-5-8_22-48-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-8_22-47-57.png
    upload_2018-5-8_22-47-57.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 40
They already are

Thanks Eric. I had read that article but completely missed that particular bit ... its obvious now I think about it though!

In order for these features to work, Tesla measures the road segment data of all participating vehicles but in a way that doesn’t identify you or your car, and may share that with partners that contribute similar data to help us provide the service. At no point is any personally identifiable information collected or shared during this process. You can enable or disable this feature and the collection and sharing of this data at any time via “TRAFFIC-BASED ROUTING” setting in Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation.”

I've been wanting Waze on the dashboard since I got the car, instead of having to squint at a phone in a $100K car ... there were highly active threads predicting Tesla would adopt Waze way-back-then ... what I suppose I am now getting is "Best maps ever" ... trouble is it is coming with the obligatory "Eons [silent L :) ] of Time" wait and numerous buggy updates before it becomes "Best maps ever".

But Hat's Off to Elon on the Open aspect though ... just hope enough players participate to get the sort of volume of data that makes Waze so useful.

Eric, I used your Tesla Waze app today and noticed that you put a message up saying what we all know, that Tesla Waze will not be available starting in June.

Please consider rewriting your app using Open Street Maps There are thousands of us that would subscribe to your excellent application. You could not only cover your expenses but actually make a profit on all of your hard work.

We all appreciate all that you have done for us!

Reactions: Blu Zap
If I listed my ten favorite things about the car TeslaWaze would be one of them, and the only one that's not Tesla. Appreciate all you've done Eric even if it was originally just meant for your own use. Just today it gave me a heads up about a tire on the highway.

I'm more than happy to kick in money each month although I don't have any idea how much work such a thing takes. Regardless thanks.

Reactions: Zapped and Blu Zap
Eric, thank you for all your work on TeslaWaze. I understand the dilemma that must be upon you, but your application will be dearly missed. I hope there is some way the service continues; a donation option sounds like a great idea.

Eric, I used your Tesla Waze app today and noticed that you put a message up saying what we all know, that Tesla Waze will not be available starting in June.

Please consider rewriting your app using Open Street Maps There are thousands of us that would subscribe to your excellent application. You could not only cover your expenses but actually make a profit on all of your hard work.

We all appreciate all that you have done for us!

Yes, I plan on moving this to OpenStreetsMaps. I'm looking at different self hosting tile server options. It's a PITA, I wish they would have told us sooner. :( It's going to be down for a while.