TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

viewing solar eclipse through model x windshield?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by aka2, Aug 20, 2017.

1. aka2

aka2 New Member

I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of UV protection the upper part of the model x windshield has and if it's sufficient to block the sun's harmful rays during the eclipse.

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

Do you think sunrays during an eclipse are any more harmful than on any sunny day?

The answer to your question: not sufficient.

• Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Several threads on this: NOTHING except approved eclipse glasses are sufficient. Do not even think of it. Please.

• Like x 1
  4. crazygordon297

5. jareade

jareade Supporting Member

We've seen this question a couple of times. Definitely not safe - safe, approved eclipse glasses are several thousand times stronger than "regular" sun glasses. Between a general lack of knowledge about how to safely view the eclipse and the apparent flood of counterfeit glasses, I'm worried there will be a lot of eye damage coming out of this eclipse. I'm really hoping that is not the case. :(

6. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

This is the only eclipse that is safe to view from Model X windshield... and even that is debatable :D
    101-0191_img.jpg

• Funny x 7
  7. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I will match mine through my solid sunshade since I didn't get the glasses. I guess I will just have to wait for the next one....

• Funny x 1