Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Viewing Teslacam on Windows works except when skipping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When viewing a Teslacam (Telsa Cam) video clip (any clip) on my new Windows 10 computer, it works fine except when I try to skip ahead into the video. This happens on any Windows computer I've used. When I skip ahead it either skips to the end of the clip, or it continues to play at time point I skipped to, but it's not really playing -- it's just showing a frozen image. The end result is that I have to watch the entire clip to find what I'm looking for. Can't skip around within the clip. I know there are phone apps for viewing clips, which I plan to try, but the purpose of this post is to find out if anyone has solutions for this problem when viewing in Windows 10. I'm guessing I have to install some codec that matches the codec Tesla is using to create the MP4. Thank you.

This is happening to me. It used to work fine, however after I started getting errors that my flash drive was too slow this problem also showed up. I'm gonna try looking into using a new flash drive and see if that works.

EDIT: just ordered a Micro SD card and a usb to fit it into, will update when it arrives on whether or not the problem was fixed.

Last edited:
This is happening to me. It used to work fine, however after I started getting errors that my flash drive was too slow this problem also showed up. I'm gonna try looking into using a new flash drive and see if that works.

EDIT: just ordered a Micro SD card and a usb to fit it into, will update when it arrives on whether or not the problem was fixed.

UPDATE: Well that didn't work. HOWEVER, I found a different solution. I downloaded VLC Media Player and I'm able to properly skip through footage with that. Here's the link if you want to download it.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

The codec that Tesla uses is H264 (which is apparently not compatible with Windows Media Player), if you just want to install the codec

Last edited: