Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over on the TM forums, I noticed 3 other posters with 22xx VINs saying that their deliveries targeted for this week were delayed.
Now I'm wondering if there's anything systemically wrong with the cars in that batch that's taking them longer to be QCed.

Anyone else?

I can tell you my Vin number was in that neighborhood and I am having quite a few problems with the car. I still love it don't get me wrong but it is going in next week (I've had in 3 weeks now) and there are about 10 issues to address. My guess is they are busy with the launch of the model 3 and they are still working on quality control on the X. Lots of stuff happing at once so they are working hard at all of it and they don't want to give you a car that you are unhappy with.

Feel free to disagree with me. I think Tesla found the problems for the X late into production, since they have to make a good number of Xs before Q1 end to save the stock, invester confidence. They have no time to pull back and inspect all problems. They go ahead and release the flawed Xs. When Q2 starts, Tesla got more time to fix the prior problems that they found in Q1. So the bottom line is majority if not all Q1 Xs have problems. Since tesla was able to fix all problems in Q2 (hopefully), they can avoid a recall later on. All problems with Xs in Q1 will be dealt with and fixed by Tesla service center. It's still controllable by Tesla because Q1 is relatively small portion to all Xs that are going to be built. So most P90D and partially 90D will be affected. Again feel free to disagree with me nicely. Thanks folks.

I have also only driven my X less than 24 hours before it went to service center. Really loved my X while I had it. Super fun to drive and have absolute no regret of owning it. It's by far the best car I have owned! If problems are all fixed, it's my dream car to date!

Reactions: WilliamZ
@ModelXBoy you are not alone they picked up my X less than 24 hours after having. I only got to drive it home and it only has 30 miles on it. The real stinger is they have a note on my car listing all the parts it needs and in a big black marker at the bottom it says "No ETA".

@ModelXBoy I would generally agree, but after watching things since ordering my X, I'd add a little (speculative, but I think accurate) detail...

1. Late Q4/January: They issue a relatively small number of VIN's and the factory spins up production. This first round of X's is has many issues and require a lot of QA/QC and manual fixes. When the scale and nature of the problems are apparent, the line is shut down in late January to retool the manufacturing process and components used.
  2. Most of February: Applying lessons learned from the initial run to the manufacturing line. Almost no VIN's issued and the line is not being run. Problem cars from #1 begin to get reworked.
  3. Late February/Early March: Line and component modifications have been made as best they know. They have one month to produce for Q1 to satisfy customers and Wall Street. They issue a flood of VINS, enough to ensure that the line could be run flat out through the end of the month with some buffer.
  4. March: The line runs full speed and customer deliveries begin in volume. Quality is much better but erratic. Some cars are flawless, others have issues. Line and deliveries continue at volume in order to gather enough statistical data to do root cause analysis for quality problems, satisfy Wall Street with a good number of deliveries, and get many cars with no issues into customer's hands. Some smaller changes made on the fly on the line, but nothing major in order to keep the line running. Very few new VIN's are assigned after the initial burst in early March.
  5. Early April: Line is taken back down to incorporate lessons learned from the March burst of deliveries. Process/components are modified to address any quality root causes identified.
  6. Speculation below...
  7. ??? (Mid April?): Next flood of VIN's released and line is brought back up. Most manufacturing quality problems identified and addressed. Lessons learned and new components used to fix cars returned for quality issues.

I'd expect that cars produced beginning late April/early May will have many fewer problems. The most heartening news to me was hearing that they took the line down in February and I saw a comment somewhere that they are taking it down again now, at least for a few days or a week. In the "bad old days" of some of the auto manufacturers, the biggest quality problems occurred when the company was afraid to ever stop the line. This meant that any quality problems (from either components or process) would get locked into the way the cars were being produced and massive amounts of bad product got made. One of the big lessons that got brought from the Japanese manufacturers to the US was to not be afraid to stop the line and retool things.

@ModelXBoy I would generally agree, but after watching things since ordering my X, I'd add a little (speculative, but I think accurate) detail...

1. Late Q4/January: They issue a relatively small number of VIN's and the factory spins up production. This first round of X's is has many issues and require a lot of QA/QC and manual fixes. When the scale and nature of the problems are apparent, the line is shut down in late January to retool the manufacturing process and components used.
  2. Most of February: Applying lessons learned from the initial run to the manufacturing line. Almost no VIN's issued and the line is not being run. Problem cars from #1 begin to get reworked.
  3. Late February/Early March: Line and component modifications have been made as best they know. They have one month to produce for Q1 to satisfy customers and Wall Street. They issue a flood of VINS, enough to ensure that the line could be run flat out through the end of the month with some buffer.
  4. March: The line runs full speed and customer deliveries begin in volume. Quality is much better but erratic. Some cars are flawless, others have issues. Line and deliveries continue at volume in order to gather enough statistical data to do root cause analysis for quality problems, satisfy Wall Street with a good number of deliveries, and get many cars with no issues into customer's hands. Some smaller changes made on the fly on the line, but nothing major in order to keep the line running. Very few new VIN's are assigned after the initial burst in early March.
  5. Early April: Line is taken back down to incorporate lessons learned from the March burst of deliveries. Process/components are modified to address any quality root causes identified.
  6. Speculation below...
  7. ??? (Mid April?): Next flood of VIN's released and line is brought back up. Most manufacturing quality problems identified and addressed. Lessons learned and new components used to fix cars returned for quality issues.

I'd expect that cars produced beginning late April/early May will have many fewer problems. The most heartening news to me was hearing that they took the line down in February and I saw a comment somewhere that they are taking it down again now, at least for a few days or a week. In the "bad old days" of some of the auto manufacturers, the biggest quality problems occurred when the company was afraid to ever stop the line. This meant that any quality problems (from either components or process) would get locked into the way the cars were being produced and massive amounts of bad product got made. One of the big lessons that got brought from the Japanese manufacturers to the US was to not be afraid to stop the line and retool things.
Posts like this are why I'm addicted to TMC! Enjoyed this one.

I've seen a few delivery reports without the Premium Package, so I think they're doing ones without it too. What's your delivery estimate now?

I have not seen any non premium reports, but have spent a lot more time over at the model 3 section of the forum :) so may have missed it. Do you have any links to these reports without premium package?

Threads like this scare the sh%# out of me. This is the first time I've ever dropped 100k on a car and I've already broken my cardinal rule of never buying a first year production car (For these teething reasons). I was counting on Tesla being different, as in, delaying delivery rather than pushing a flawed product onto an unsuspecting customer. Even though I'm within 40 mi. of two SCs, I'd really prefer to wait then frequenting them. No one else has these trepidations?
Yikes!