Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 29xxx - what to look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you nice guy :)
What I am really after is the 29xxx quality build, is it as bad as it was in earlier VINs. I was hoping that some of the owners of 29xxx VINs would comment on their experiences with their cars.
An update: I just got a delivery notice for Aug. 5. Will see how it goes and will post.

Just picked up my 29 vin yesterday. MSM no FSD no tow. Overall I am super happy so far. There were a couple of panel issues/gaps on the driver side front and back. Also there was some rubber hanging from the top door trim that needs fixed. Also noted the fabric above the drivers side sun visor was dirty. The backseat was misaligned but barely noticeable. All of these items will be fixed from the service center. Other than that it is a beautiful car!

Just picked up my 29 vin yesterday. MSM no FSD no tow. Overall I am super happy so far. There were a couple of panel issues/gaps on the driver side front and back. Also there was some rubber hanging from the top door trim that needs fixed. Also noted the fabric above the drivers side sun visor was dirty. The backseat was misaligned but barely noticeable. All of these items will be fixed from the service center. Other than that it is a beautiful car!

Thanks for the list. Of these, how many did you report to the rep at pick up? I'm asking because I'm due to pick up over the next four days and I want to go in with the right strategy.

What I have gathered thus far is...... there are too many variables. For example, everyone has a different level or tolerance. Secondly, VIN are no way shape or form an indicator of good QC. Hence why i don't understand these VIN obsession here on this forum.

So why stress it?

Order it.
Wait for it.
Go see it the day of.
Accept or reject.

Life goes on.....

• Disagree
Reactions: Impaler
Thanks for the list. Of these, how many did you report to the rep at pick up? I'm asking because I'm due to pick up over the next four days and I want to go in with the right strategy.
I reported all but the stained fabric. The rep took pictures of all and told me to create a service ticket online. I also noticed a few small very light scuffs on the rear bumper and will plan on mentioning those as well when I bring it in.

I was scheduled to pick up a 29XXX Red/Black LR AWD No FSD/No Tow on Tuesday, July 21 in Littleton CO. Got to my appointment on time but wasn’t helped for 20 minutes so I found the car and started going over the outside. Most of the exterior looked great, with the exception of the rear hatch (shifted left) and right rear passenger door (looked crooked like closing the door would chip the paint). Ended up not looking at the inside when an employee hopped in and drove it back into the Service Dept due to a faulty backup camera. I had driven 2 hours to see the car only to find out about that issue after I had arrived. I rescheduled the delivery to Saturday, July 25th while the car was serviced. I made the drive again after I was told that it should be completed by Noon. At 1pm, I had received a call that the car was still disassembled and the camera still wasn’t working. Ended up rejecting it and back to the queue I go.

• Funny
Reactions: sherlockw
I was scheduled to pick up a 29XXX Red/Black LR AWD No FSD/No Tow on Tuesday, July 21 in Littleton CO. Got to my appointment on time but wasn’t helped for 20 minutes so I found the car and started going over the outside. Most of the exterior looked great, with the exception of the rear hatch (shifted left) and right rear passenger door (looked crooked like closing the door would chip the paint). Ended up not looking at the inside when an employee hopped in and drove it back into the Service Dept due to a faulty backup camera. I had driven 2 hours to see the car only to find out about that issue after I had arrived. I rescheduled the delivery to Saturday, July 25th while the car was serviced. I made the drive again after I was told that it should be completed by Noon. At 1pm, I had received a call that the car was still disassembled and the camera still wasn’t working. Ended up rejecting it and back to the queue I go.

Amazing service ... This what is holding me from submitting my second order. I can deal with paint and cosmetic issues, but I do not tolerate poor service and ignoring the value of my time.

Just curious, are you talking about rear hatch issue like this? (I saw it on all red MY's in Austin DC)?
IMG_20200725_163315.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing service ... This what is holding me from submitting my second order. I can deal with paint and cosmetic issues, but I do not tolerate poor service and ignoring the value of my time.

Just curious, are you talking about rear hatch issue like this? (I saw it on all red MY's in Austin DC)?
View attachment 569165
The TFLCar Youtube channel has a MY red performance with exact same rear hatch misalignment. here is a clip when they show it at 11:08

Last edited:
I got a call yesterday that my LR AWD Grey is ready in Littleton, CO. VIN: 30xxx. Hopefully mine is in better shape.