Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One trick I do, especially when seeing SUVs or distracted drivers in the wrong state of mind who're behind me is to tap my brakes lightly with two quick brake taps - pause - then two more brake taps while still going forward not slowing down. Unless they have a bone to pick with you, they typically get the message and give more space behind you which is what they really need to react properly when the crap hits the fan.

I've found the majority of people don't leave enough space as a safety cushion. I also do this brake tap message to the "CREEPERS" at red lights. You know, the ones who want to take up every little space behind you. You move up to leave a safe cushion behind you, and they creep right up on you. You move up a little, and they move up even more unaware of what they're doing subconsciously. I like having a space there for that it gives the person behind you a place to miss / avoid you if they get hit by the person behind them. Also if the person hits them, it may be enough space to save them from hitting you.

Always being aware and staying far from the "packs" of cars that cling together is key.

Glad that you are OK. My daughter-in-law was in an accident yesterday too. Some STUPID lady decided after seeing her friend on the LEFT shoulder, to pick her up - unfortunately she was driving in the RIGHT lane on I95 when she cut across 2 lanes of traffic (the middle and left lane) sending everyone everywhere. Several cars were involved. Really happy that you are OK. Watch yourself as something may crop up in the next few days.

Regarding the driver of the Ford, Forest Gump said it best: "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Keep in mind how Rafael de Mestre's Roadster looked after a front end collision, and it was put back back together and back on the road:

Tesla EV Trip Around the World Ends Badly with Under 1,000 Km to Go - Video - autoevolution

tesla-ev-trip-around-the-world-ends-badly-with-under-1000-km-to-go-video-49053_1.jpg

Curt,

I'm relieved that you are not seriously hurt and horrified to see those pictures of your pride and joy in pieces scattered over I-270. I'm hoping there is some way to restore VIN 76 to better than new condition. Be sure the insurance company knows that you had a 400 mile battery pack before you got hit. ;-)

Lanny

I am really sorry to see that! Agree with Mark, Curt's car is the pride and joy for the entire diverse EV populace around here. Hopefully Tesla can put it back together and those responsible will pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

The more I look at it the angrier I get. And the bastids in charge want to tax EVs extra for road use and take away the EV credits, while letting these ICE monster drivers write the entire truck off while endangering everyone sensible?!

You have got to be kidding me!!!

Curt,

i concur with all of our friends and colleagues above. Heartbreaking to see, but glad you are OK. I hope you can get your baby restored and make that SUV driving moron learn what I am sure will be very expensive lesson about paying attention while driving.

i know I dread the trip up and down 270 every time I have to take 1422 up to the service center in Rockville. It is as if all the (many many) idiots on the road around here all concentrate in on stretch of highway. Yikes

We'll all be routing for you and 76 to get back on the road! in the mean time, I feel the sudden need to go to the garage and give my Roadster a hug! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Curt, so sorry to hear about #76 and relieved that it did its job in protecting you even from much larger vehicles. Hope others are right that it can be repaired and put back on the road.

Only a couple of years ago I worried about autonomous driving of any kind...nowadays it feels like well-designed, thoroughly-tested autonomous systems cannot get here fast enough.:frown:

Its only cosmetic, not structural damage. Worse case the rear sub-frame needs replacing. Front is fine. Largest cost is the main hull, which could total it. But if he gets to buy it back I don't see why it couldn't be patched with CF right where the rear trunk mount damaged it.

Since when have you been run off the road by a Tesla Model S? I've never seen one Model-S driver ( I see many in the bay area ) get distracted by the touch screen. What is more distracting is the stupid "I won't sue you" agreement that cars like the Prius and GPS units force you to agree to as you start turning things on and begin moving down the road.

Bad drivers will always be bad drivers. I've seen drivers get distracted when they're looking straight at you, their minds were wandering.... Would you say the same about pilots? Look at their consoles, that's one big distraction as you'd put it. However a pilot who's not a bad pilot, competent, and knows what he's doing is not distracted by them but uses them for what they're designed for at the right time.

sounds like the common pro-gun arguments....

anyways, all i can say is, i can fully control my AC and audio stuff without ever having to take my eyes off the road. Can the avg driver do that with a giant touchscreen?

that said, now i wonder how many roadsters are left on the road

Holy crap man! I am so sad to see her all in pieces like this. I hope it is repairable because losing a sig 100 is a very sad sight. I am glad you are ok, and should you not be back on the road come April, know that I will happily return the favor from last year and give you a ride for the TeslaRoadTrip event!

bluenation,
I can control the AC and Audio in my MS without ever taking my eyes off the road (steering wheel buttons) and, yes, I am pro-gun and anti gun for irresponsible people. Making it black and white, although popular, leaves little room for sensible solutions.

my gun comment was a one liner remark. it's not the topic of our discussion.

bluenation,
I can control the AC and Audio in my MS without ever taking my eyes off the road (steering wheel buttons) and, yes, I am pro-gun and anti gun for irresponsible people. Making it black and white, although popular, leaves little room for sensible solutions.

well i meant stuff that can't be done with the steering wheel buttons.

unless tesla implements touch gestures. which actually may not be a bad idea actually...

It is sad to see such a beautiful car with so much damage. Hopefully it can be resurrected. There are not a lot of these cars in the first place and, given Tesla's success, they are destined to become collectors items. Best of luck and I am especially glad to hear you are ok.

Possible safety ploy that especially makes sense after long stretches of open highway come up to a STOP: act like an Indy Pace Car but in reverse. Collect the fast moving traffic approaching behind you to see if they are ASLEEP. With a Tesla of course you can launch out of their way at the last minute if what you see in rearview mirror indicates they ARE asleep. Ideally you and those collected behind you will arrive at just the right time to cruise on thru the stop. From my old motorcycle bag o' tricks.

> i wonder how many roadsters are left on the road [bluenation]

About the same number as surviving Yugos (estimated 2500).

PS: Condolences to both man and machine.
--