Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend had his VX220 totaled after what looked like a fixable accident. They don't like even minor subframe damage with the Lotus bonded aluminum chassis.

Exactly so.

My Roadster was taken to the one Tesla-certified body shop in my area, and they are very good. After removing body panels, they determined that the aluminum tub is damaged.

That, possibly along with a ridiculously low initial valuation, is the reason for totaling. Even after they revise the valuation, though, I doubt that they will reverse the decision to total.

Did they point out where the tub was damaged/bent? Looking at the pics, nothing hit the tub. Only thing I can see is if the subframe was hit right, didn't absorb the impact, then transferred that force to the tub.

I'd definitely get a second opinion on the Tub by a true frame shop to determine its final fate.

+1

Don't see any aluminum frame damage either.
Maybe one of the left wheels got hit and carried the force into the alloy frame or they are talking about the black painted subframe under the trunk. The left arm which carries the CF trunk does looks bent. But this is a steel part, not alloy and it's replaceable.

I hope they change their mind and repair it. Otherwise someone has to start a "Rebuilt of Sig 76" thread;)

Did they point out where the tub was damaged/bent? Looking at the pics, nothing hit the tub. Only thing I can see is if the subframe was hit right, didn't absorb the impact, then transferred that force to the tub.

I'd definitely get a second opinion on the Tub by a true frame shop to determine its final fate.

No, they haven't told me exactly where the damage is. I'm planning to go in person on Tuesday to see what I can.

As for a second opinion, I haven't found anyone qualified so far. If you know anyone who can get to Gaithersburg MD to check it out, I'm all ears.

I saw it today, and the mechanic showed me exactly where the damage is. They had pulled off all of the panels except the doors.

The front-left carbon fiber beam is pushed down and back quite a distance, and everything under the hood looks twisted.

In the rear, the aluminum structure is pushed hard against the motor, the motor is raised and twisted upward on the left side, and the motor case is visibly chipped. Further in on the left of the motor, it is easy to see that the tub is bent.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree - the tub is damaged.

I saw it today, and the mechanic showed me exactly where the damage is. They had pulled off all of the panels except the doors.

The front-left carbon fiber beam is pushed down and back quite a distance, and everything under the hood looks twisted.

In the rear, the aluminum structure is pushed hard against the motor, the motor is raised and twisted upward on the left side, and the motor case is visibly chipped. Further in on the left of the motor, it is easy to see that the tub is bent.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree - the tub is damaged.

It's good to see the occupants are OK. I'm surprised it is still drivable with the tub bent and the structure pushed hard against the motor like that. That is good structural design IMO.

Some vultures have been circling since the day of the accident asking if I was going to buy the salvage title, and if I did, could they have "x" part. I have neither a place to store the car, nor the resources to do the repairs. And, frankly, I couldn’t bear to look at my Signature 100 in its wrecked state.

So, if you want the parts and are willing to deal with transport from Maryland, I will let you know the salvage price and arrange for you to buy it. Perhaps a group buy?

If you still have access to the car, would you sell me the #76 VIN plate as a souvenir? :biggrin:

Cheers,
You You

Looks like you'll need to buy the entire vehicle.

Curt, you should have posted the happy ending!

Riding with Curt in his Tesla Roadster - YouTube

Thanks, Steve, but I don't really consider this the ending. Still waiting for Geico to get their act together and make a realistic settlement offer.

My advice to anyone considering insurance agencies: avoid Geico. What good is saving 15% on premiums if they won't settle claims at anywhere near actual value?

The Maryland Insurance Administration has now opened a formal investigation into Geico's handling of this claim, but they still just don't seem to care.

And here is the actual blog post for the video, BTW… http://photonsandelectrons.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-20-minute-ride-in-tesla-roadster-with.html

Well said Curt!

Shop your coverage first, then your price...judging by most of the posts in the insurance threads, it appears that many are putting price ahead of coverage...

Thanks, Steve, but I don't really consider this the ending. Still waiting for Geico to get their act together and make a realistic settlement offer.

My advice to anyone considering insurance agencies: avoid Geico. What good is saving 15% on premiums if they won't settle claims at anywhere near actual value?

The Maryland Insurance Administration has now opened a formal investigation into Geico's handling of this claim, but they still just don't seem to care.

And here is the actual blog post for the video, BTW… http://photonsandelectrons.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-20-minute-ride-in-tesla-roadster-with.html