TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VIN assigned a few days back by 27XXX

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by daydreamer, Jul 7, 2018.

1. daydreamer

daydreamer New Member

A NOOB question. I placed an order for a Model 3 Long Range Red and finally got a VIN assigned. However, the VIN is of the 27XXX series. I know that the numbers currently are in the 6XXXX series. Have I been assigned an a rejected delivery/gone through some repair type car? Should I take delivery?

Reservation: Day 1
    Invited: April 13
    Finally Ordered: June 27
    Tesla Called: June 27
    Delivery: July 21

2. mrfreeze

mrfreeze New Member

Hmm. That is interesting.

3. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

Probably not a rejected delivery. Tesla does not build the cars in perfectly sequential order. Look at the VIN chart on this page, and you will see that VINs in any particular range are assigned over a couple months.

Bloomberg VIN Tracker

4. eCharcoal

eCharcoal Member

There’re quite a few reservation holder, myself included, on the same boat. All LR. I think it’s an inventory they stockpiled before the magic 7/1/2018.

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Member

I’m picking up today and mine is 269xx

6. RayK

RayK Member

This seems to be typical from what I've been reading here in the forum. VINs in the mid-to-high 20K to low 30Ks have been reported in the Midwest and East Coast areas with recent confirmations/deliveries, 'tho there have been exceptions. My own 3 was confirmed 6/28 and is 444xx but I'm in the Bay Area. Tesla may have stockpiled cars prior to 7/1 in order to game the 200K US delivery date and the start of the phase-out of the $7500 Federal tax credit.

As far as deciding to take delivery, I'd closely inspect the car (there's several Model 3 checklists floating around) and spend some time before making up your mind. It's doubtful that they would let you take the car out for a test drive before you sign all the documents and fork over the $$$ but drive the car around for 15-30 minutes when they turn it over to you and be prepared to take it back to the delivery center if you have any concerns.

7. corvetteguy

corvetteguy Member

#7 corvetteguy, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Picked up my red 27xxx on June 26 in Richmond VA. Charged it up at home and left for vacation in the car for 400 mile treck to Charlesron SC. Car is beautiful, fun to drive. I have looked over every square inch and have not found any flaws, scratches, misaligned panels etc. No rattles or squeaks, all systems work great. The hardest part, but fun for me, is figuring out little things that are done differently than on other ice cars. The car also has all the updates like better back seats and fix for wind noise. Dont worry go pick up your 3. The internet forums have been awesome for answering questions. By the way the door label on mine has a manufacture date of 6/16/18.

• Like x 3
  8. khraiv

khraiv Member

VIN is meaningless. It's intentionally scattered to prevent obvious number projections.

9. daydreamer

daydreamer New Member

Thanks. This makes me feel better.

10. bsf29

bsf29 Member

I went though similar questions. Ordered 5/3, Delayed email, ISA called 6/20 with VIN 277xx, and we pickup Teslarac next Saturday. When we got our VIN, Tesla was building 43xxx. While it could have been built late May early June and sitting, my only concern is making sure we have the new rear seat. We don't take passengers much, but after seeing various videos of how rear passengers can't really get their legs to touch on the early seats, we hope we have the newer seats.

11. daydreamer

daydreamer New Member

Please post your experience, and I hope you get the newer seats.