Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN assigned, delivery date delayed 3 times…is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s the breakdown: I ordered on 9/11, was originally given a February delivery date (which was later updated to January), was assigned a VIN on 11/30 with an estimated delivery date of 12/15-12/15, then 12/5-12/10. I called on 12/4 to figure out payment details and was told I would likely have my car in 7-10 days, maybe less. 12/10 came and went, and today my delivery window was updated to 12/14-12/21. I called the dealership to see if they had any additional insight, and after a short hold the woman helping me said she was submitting a ticket for more info because she didn’t know any more than I did. Has anyone else experienced this? What are the chances I’ll have my car before Christmas?

Welcome to the club. :) Yeah it's normal and pretty typical of Tesla. My delivery date was postponed by an entire month back in March. Played out pretty much as you described. They will be able to tell you if the car's on the delivery truck closer to the date.

I can't say if you'll get your car before Christmas. The dealership only knows a rough estimate, but it's highly dependent on when the factory actually ships the car. Once it's on the truck, they'll know.

Regarding delivery: If you haven't considered this already, I recommend picking up the car at the dealership. Mine had some clear coat overspray all over the side of the vehicle, which they were able to fix on the spot. It also gives you the opportunity to look over the car (inside and out) and compare it with others before you accept delivery. Absolutely make sure you look your car over thoroughly before pressing that tempting button in the app. They should let you into your vehicle before you accept delivery, but if they don't, insist that they do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the club. :) Yeah it's normal and pretty typical of Tesla. My delivery date was postponed by an entire month back in March. Played out pretty much as you described. They will be able to tell you if the car's on the delivery truck closer to the date.

I can't say if you'll get your car before Christmas. The dealership only knows a rough estimate, but it's highly dependent on when the factory actually ships the car. Once it's on the truck, they'll know.

Regarding delivery: If you haven't considered this already, I recommend picking up the car at the dealership. Mine had some clear coat overspray all over the side of the vehicle, which they were able to fix on the spot. It also gives you the opportunity to look over the car (inside and out) and compare it with others before you accept delivery. Absolutely make sure you look your car over thoroughly before pressing that tempting button in the app. They should let you into your vehicle before you accept delivery, but if they don't, insist that they do.

Upvote 0
I actually had to schedule pickup at the dealership since we live in a very rural area, and I’ve save a number of checklists for day of delivery. I warned my husband I’ll be looking over the car for at least an hour before I leave with it. I’ll add clear coat overspray to my checklist…thanks for the tip! In the mean time I’m just going to cross my fingers and hope it gets here in time to pick my bestie up from the airport the night of the 19th. I desperately want to embarrass her with Santa mode “spreading cheer” in the pickup line.🤣

Upvote 0
It’s actually happening, theoretically. 😂

Attachments

• B5F4BB1E-CD1D-449D-9474-C07FD734BC6C.jpeg
    B5F4BB1E-CD1D-449D-9474-C07FD734BC6C.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0
Curious, did the delivery take place that day?! In a similar situation here. :)
It did! They actually called me and had me pick up a day early! I had a couple of small fit issues that they were able to correct before I took delivery. They even let me open the car and inspect the inside before finalizing things! That may have been because I was paying with check and they had some technical issues getting the app to realize I had paid, though.

Upvote 0
It did! They actually called me and had me pick up a day early! I had a couple of small fit issues that they were able to correct before I took delivery. They even let me open the car and inspect the inside before finalizing things! That may have been because I was paying with check and they had some technical issues getting the app to realize I had paid, though.
Thanks for the update! This is really great to hear. And congrats on picking up your sweet new ride!

Upvote 0
Been in the same boat.....vehicle has been at my service center for over a week now, awaiting a repair on a trim piece and the new part hasn't arrived 😭

Original delivery date was 1/28, then 2/3, then 2/6, now 2/8. Delivery tasks have been complete since 1/26.

Upvote 0