Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assigned, Delivery in the next couple of days??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN for my Model Y was assigned today and the delivery time is between today and Monday.

Can that be correct? I was only able to get financing today because I needed the VIN, but that check won't be here for 7-10 days.

Will the timeline work out here?

Perhaps I will reach out about that tomorrow after I talk to Tesla.

I'm wondering if it's because I chose to pay cash when I ordered. Now I'm putting down half and financing the rest.
Nope, I selected 3rd party finance and got notified this morning that I’m matched with a VIN and have the same delivery expectations as you… the day before, Sep 14th to Oct 16th estimate, lol

Tesla probably will give you a couple days wiggle room, especially if you have them set up an appointment, but I would also push to get the bank to at least get the check to you by Monday. Weekend might cause issues but if it goes out tomorrow it should show up by end of day Monday with overnight or next day delivery. You might also be able to have it overnighted to a UPS or FedEx store for pickup on a Saturday, not positive though.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Perhaps I will reach out about that tomorrow after I talk to Tesla.

I'm wondering if it's because I chose to pay cash when I ordered. Now I'm putting down half and financing the rest.
I took delivery around 12/25/2021 and this was my experience. Tesla might have changed how they operate by now though.
If you told tesla you were paying cash but are really financing then you must get in touch with Tesla and tell them. They will want to know the lending institution official name, how it apppears on checks as well as headquarters address, typically what appears on check. Tesla will want to know how much you are financing. You can call tesla and any agent can make the change or you can do this via the app. I too said I’d pay cash due to a glitch in the ordering portion of the web app and as soon as I got qualified for the loan ( I got qualified as my EDD narrowed) called tesla. After that tesla told me the info such as needing a check overnighted to them when it comes time and about the need for lending institution to email image of check and some standard info to tesla. Tesla provided an email address to me.
My credit union had processed many tesla loans and also knew Tesla’s expectations.

Last edited:
I took delivery around 12/25/2021 and this was my experience. Tesla might have changed how they operate by now though.
If you told tesla you were paying cash but are really financing then you must get in touch with Tesla and tell them. They will want to know the lending institution official name, how it apppears on checks as well as headquarters address, typically what appears on check. Tesla will want to know how much you are financing. You can call tesla and any agent can make the change or you can do this via the app. I too said I’d pay cash due to a glitch in the order wring portion of the web app and as soon as I got qualified for the loan called tesla. After that tesla told me the info such as needed an check overnighted to them when it comes time and about the need for lending institution to email image of check and some standard info to tesla. Tesla provided an email address to me.
I see no way of doing it through the app.
The agent (via text) isn’t asking me for any of that, just how much time I need to take delivery

I see no way of doing it through the app.
The agent (via text) isn’t asking me for any of that, just how much time I need to take delivery
The app & website will not have an option for switching to financing from cash payment. Well, they did not back in 12/2021 at least. You need to tell the SA via text or call tesla customer service. I’d call tesla customer service at this point.

Last edited:
E156336E-2FCF-4AD2-8132-7B9D91109027.jpeg

You should have the option to change financing/key in lender info in your app. This is mine. My EDD is 8/17/-8/21 and I have a vin assigned.

When I got a final payment reminder last Wed morning (July 27th) the VIN isn’t assigned yet. The following morning I got a “Select delivery date” which has only Aug 2 or Aug 3 option. I selected the latter and when the app refreshed, it already has the VIN below my reservation number.

I rescheduled the DD and will be picking the Tesla today at 3 PM.

When I got a final payment reminder last Wed morning (July 27th) the VIN isn’t assigned yet. The following morning I got a “Select delivery date” which has only Aug 2 or Aug 3 option. I selected the latter and when the app refreshed, it already has the VIN below my reservation number.

I rescheduled the DD and will be picking the Tesla today at 3 PM.

Teslas delivery timeline is all over the road lol 😂

Ok, so I’m in. The rep agreed to change the date to next Friday, which SHOULD give me enough time to receive the financing check. Insurance is all done, and my down payment should be all transferred from my savings accounts by Monday. Let’s do this sh*t!

Ok, so I’m in. The rep agreed to change the date to next Friday, which SHOULD give me enough time to receive the financing check. Insurance is all done, and my down payment should be all transferred from my savings accounts by Monday. Let’s do this sh*t!
How much of a fight did they put up? I think a week would do it for me too but so far I had to schedule for Tuesday… finally got a trade amount now but I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to do much of anything with my lender over the weekend…

How much of a fight did they put up? I think a week would do it for me too but so far I had to schedule for Tuesday… finally got a trade amount now but I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to do much of anything with my lender over the weekend
They didn't put up a fight. The rep checked with "his team" to see if they "could accommodate the request" and they said yes.

I only got the VIN yesterday. I don't know how they could have expected me to get it all together sooner. Perhaps it was because I sledged cash payment when I ordered.

I will say that I don't know what will happen if the check doesn't show up in time. Checks get lost in or delayed in the mail.

I'm planning on paying the down payment via the app, as soon as the transfer from my savings is completed. Maybe Monday or Tuesday.

I will have a check from my credit union for the full purchase price? Can I hand them the check while leaving it as a cash purchase in the app or must I tell them it is now being financed? Why do they care if I have a cashiers check for the entire amount?

I will have a check from my credit union for the full purchase price? Can I hand them the check while leaving it as a cash purchase in the app or must I tell them it is now being financed? Why do they care if I have a cashiers check for the entire amount?
Your CU accepts a MVPA without them listed as the lienholder? If you tell Tesla the CU is the lienholder, the documentation will be reflected correctly. Otherwise title/registration will be tricky. So, long story short, Tesla doesn’t care if it’s cash or financed. It’s so the paperwork is correct, and there are no (few) complications.

Reactions: jstepy
Your CU accepts a MVPA without them listed as the lienholder? If you tell Tesla the CU is the lienholder, the documentation will be reflected correctly. Otherwise title/registration will be tricky. So, long story short, Tesla doesn’t care if it’s cash or financed. It’s so the paperwork is correct, and there are no (few) complications.
I game them the CU’s name.

Reactions: jstepy