Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN assigned, what next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there!

Model Y LR in white with white interior and 20" wheels ordered late September. Currently located in the bay area.

Our EDD was 1/4 - 2/1 until today when we had a VIN assigned.

Should we be contacted by a sales agent soon? How does delaying work? We also chose cash initially but will need to switch to financing at some point.

We leave to go out of town in two weeks and were hoping to just take delivery once we got back in the new year.

You should receive a text message in the next 3-5 days with the following message:

Tesla Update - Congratulations, it's your turn to schedule your Model Y for delivery.

Select your appointment now at tesla.com/schedule/RNXXXXXX for your touchless delivery. We may reach out to schedule a new appointment if your Model Y arrives earlier or later than we currently expect.

If you do not receive the text within a few days, reach out to your SA or the Tesla toll-free number and you can schedule delivery. From VIN issuance to delivery is typically about 10-14 days for East Coast and a bit sooner for Midwest and West Coast. If you received a VIN you will not be able to pick up the car in 2022.

If you really want the car I suggest not delaying delivery, if possible. Once you decline a VIN it's not always clear when you will get another. On the cash vs. financing item, that's a simple fix. Simply contact Tesla and let them know your change of plans for how you will pay for the car.

How does it typically work when placing a hold? Are people able to place holds before being assigned a VIN? Did we mess up there?

Initially when we ordered the car it was showing March, so it was quite a surprise to see we would be getting it mid December.

How does it typically work when placing a hold? Are people able to place holds before being assigned a VIN? Did we mess up there?

Initially when we ordered the car it was showing March, so it was quite a surprise to see we would be getting it mid December.
I would advise making this move prior to being issued a VIN. You would simply work with your SA or a general rep to designate the order ineligible to match to a VIN. When you're ready to match to a VIN, re-engage and have them place you back in the queue.

I would advise making this move prior to being issued a VIN. You would simply work with your SA or a general rep to designate the order ineligible to match to a VIN. When you're ready to match to a VIN, re-engage and have them place you back in the queue.
My car is scheduled late this year but I want to delay until next year. The salesperson said to wait until a VIN is assigned. Hmmmm.
My SA said same thing, which is what I did. I was assigned a VIN on 10/31 but it was a 2021 and I wanted a 2022. I just ignored texts to schedule delivery and my SA assigned my VIN to someone else. She just wrote in my account that I’m waiting for a 2022 and would accept the car before December 31 if available. I currently have an EDD of 12-11 to 12-31. I’m hoping it doesn’t get pushed back but that’s the risk I took.