Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin Assignment Times?

pipplo

Mar 25, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I'm just curious, and I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Are VINs being assigned 24/7 randomly or is there any pattern to VIN updates to accounts? It's probably an inane question but I'm curious what people think

erthquake

Mar 16, 2016
California
I'm just curious, and I haven't seen anyone talking about it. Are VINs being assigned 24/7 randomly or is there any pattern to VIN updates to accounts? It's probably an inane question but I'm curious what people think

I got mine tonight sometime between 9:30pm and 12:30am.

Reactions: PoitNarf

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
I’ve seen all times of the day when people first notice their VIN assignment. I first noticed my VIN sometime around 5pm Eastern the day I got it. I’ve seen many others report getting assigned VINs overnight and this seems to be the more common occurrence. But it appears that a VIN could show up in your Tesla account at pretty much any time of day.

pipplo

Mar 25, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Could be a while. I ordered white aero aep/fsd on 2/19 in VA and still waiting for a VIN. Hopefully they will focus on us non-CA people after end of quarter.

I'm holding out hope that they'll squeeze me in before EOQ but chances are looking slim! My buddy got his white aero and I saw it the other day which didn't make the wait any easier.

dckiwi

Aug 12, 2016
Reston, VA
I'm holding out hope that they'll squeeze me in before EOQ but chances are looking slim! My buddy got his white aero and I saw it the other day which didn't make the wait any easier.

Ah - I missed the fact that you're in California (thought you were in Canada for some reason :) ). Yeah, they may try to squeeze you in this week to hit their numbers! Good luck.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
After ordering, what's the typical time it takes to receive a VIN? Does this transpire before I fiddle with my trade-in?

Yes, I received my VIN before I was able to do anything regarding my trade-in. My trade-in info was submitted to Tesla through my Tesla account about 3 days after I received my VIN and I got the trade-in valuation from Tesla the following day. The trade-in stuff is something that needs to be enabled on your Tesla account and likely won't be activated until you've already received a VIN.

• Helpful
Reactions: vinnie97

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC