Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 313950

My M3 home delivery on 6/29 was pretty fast and smooth. The delivery expert went through the routine stuff ( how to lock/unlock doors, and start and park the car, how to open trunk and , then signed off the final delivery paper). The odometer shows 14 miles from Fremont factory. He took an Uber ride back to Fremont. The total time is 10 minutes. The car looks fine, no body gap panels, no scratches. I am pretty happy with my M3.

Nice! When did you reserve? Apr 1 2016?

Wonder why you got the home delivery, while I (in SF) was given the choice of Fremont or Sacramento. The car is nowhere here yet, but minor details

Wow. Loving the Tesla experience! With apologies to those whose experience has not been as seamless:

Reserved 12/13/2017
Config opened 6/27/2018 - early evening apparently. (Still never received a configuration email!)
Order placed 6/27 @10 p.m.
RWD- Blue- Aero - No EAP

Edit button removed 6/29 @10 a.m.
ISA email 6/29 @4:00 p.m. to confirm info and submit financing/trade-in
Financing application and trade-in evaluation submitted 6/30.
Financing approved a few hours later, with better interest rate than my bank.
Trade-in quote received 7/2 @11 a.m. - low end of "fair," on par with other quotes with tax savings factored in - accepted.
Call from ISA 7/2 @11 a.m. - delivery scheduled 7/6!

VIN 229xx

Confirmed with ISA that it will have Gen2 back seats. Other than that, I'm not picky. We live in the country; this car will get dirty, and we're going to drive the HELL out of it. If I can help Tesla out by taking a car that someone else rejected for some paint chips, scratches, or other cosmetic flaws, I'm happy to do it. :D

Finally got my ISA on the phone. The reason for no delivery date is that my vehicle is currently on a train heading for Birmingham AL staging area. Should arrive there in a week or less. Left CA a couple weeks ago but I guess the train to a 'weird route' so it took awhile. Once it arrives in Birmingham he will schedule a delivery date that could be a day or two later or 5-6 days later, depending on how busy the delivery center is. The anticipation is killing me.

Reactions: calvinvle
Finally got my ISA on the phone. The reason for no delivery date is that my vehicle is currently on a train heading for Birmingham AL staging area. Should arrive there in a week or less. Left CA a couple weeks ago but I guess the train to a 'weird route' so it took awhile. Once it arrives in Birmingham he will schedule a delivery date that could be a day or two later or 5-6 days later, depending on how busy the delivery center is. The anticipation is killing me.

Yep... Mine is also on a slow train to FLA!

Got the VIN on Friday 6/29.... Midnight Silver - 18" Wheels - Loaded - #258XX.... Delivery 7/17..... OOOOOOH the wait!

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
So... I wonder if there is a way to track commercial rail...

If its anything like car carrier ships then if you know the shipping company then the VIN might work as a tracking number. It works for tracking BMWs/MINIs across the pond. Worth a try if there is a way to get to the tracking for BNSF, Union Pacific, etc.

If you know which logistics company Tesla is using you might also be able to track with them.

EDIT: Looks like rail tracking is far more complicated than vessel tracking. Your ISA is probably the only way to track it.

Last edited:
Picked mine up mine today! Everything passed the functional inspection list.
There were a few scratches on the thing between the two front seats below the center console. I noted it but I do not know if i am gonna fuss over it, wife scratched it somehow (nails?) on the way home in a different location. Will for sure want to wrap that surface first chance I get. Why did they choose to use such a soft glossy material there? Its hopeless to keep it pristine.

Also had two small scratches on the plastic (not bumper) under the car near the rear, presumably from loading/unloading. Not gonna fuss at that one either they are very minor.

It only came with lightning and usb-c chargers. Wife and I are sticking with 2.5 year old SGS7s so we will have to figure something out.

Grinned much of the way home. It was a good ride. Lots of storage in the car, its shocking to see personally. Arrived with ~210 miles on the battery. Charging at 32 A is taking forever, its no cell phone thats for sure. Might spring for the HWPC or a juicebox or something.