TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VIN Assignment

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bswn1, Dec 1, 2017.

1. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Congrat to both Kenriko and Codeblue309. Where is N8Howell? Did you get your VIN, yet?

• Like x 1
  2. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

#582 X Fan, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Silver is here....just got mine today 87xx....

EAP, 18", Charlotte area delivery.....

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. repoanything

repoanything Member

Just got a VIN 0071XX. Red. 18Inch wheels. Ordered Feb 14th. Arizona

• Like x 1
  4. codeblue309

codeblue309 Member

You might want to mask the last 2 digits of your VIN.

Looks like Red+Aero is in the 71XX range. They are indeed batching color and wheel type.

• Like x 1
  5. kwest2

kwest2 Member

Ordered red/aero 2/25 in Boston no vin yet...don't stop tesla a few more please!

6. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Just curious. Why do we want to hide the last two digit of VIN number? How can someone abuse or misuse that info?

7. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Not to go too off topic, but I've never understood this--what is the risk of displaying the 5 digit VIN?

8. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Same goes for the license plate number.

9. repoanything

repoanything Member

I dont think there is to much risk, even plates, if you drive a car in the US, your plate is probably scanned and in a database. 60% of all cars in the US have been scanned. And those guys have your plate, picture of your car and location of scan.

10. Kenriko

Kenriko Vendor

There is pretty much no use in hiding your plate unless you have a heavily modified car and are worried about people tracking it down to steal it for parts. (for example Youtubers) The plate is seen by dozens or hundreds of people per day, no one cares.

11. graphix25

graphix25 -=electronboy=-

A license plate number or vin can be reverse lookup to identify the address and name of the registered owner for a small fee. It’s a privacy thing. Would one post their name and home address on a forum? By posting your vin that is basically what you are doing and it could be exploited by the more devious elements of our society.

Needle in the haystack risk in the grand scheme of things however. We do love our vin numbers on this forum. They are posted everywhere. One could say it’s a bit of a obsession.

• Like x 1
  12. Kipp

Kipp Member

Congrats for all of the red/aero VINs from 2/14. I can mark that step and the next off my list as I see 2 blue/aeros from 2/22 non-owners have their VINs:
    • 2/14 owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
    • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for any color and aero wheels
    Next step:
    • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
    Exciting day for lots of folks.

All you red/aero folks with new VINs need to update the Model 3 sheet. There are six new entries today and none of them are red. Thanks. I know, I know, you are totally excited and have forgotten. You can tell me that when I get my red/aero VIN. :)

• Like x 2
  13. N8Howell33

N8Howell33 Member

Just got it. 88XX. Stated it’s being loaded into trailer and will update delivery once it’s moving. I’ll update spreadsheet when I get home. Super excited. The Red is actually coming for Aeros.

• Like x 6
  14. Nurkbonis

Nurkbonis Member

Congrats... no VIN for me with white/aero in Portland. Still seems like white is not coming.

• Like x 1
  15. sreams

sreams Member

Would you post your address on your car? Because your license plate and VIN are clearly visible on your car.

16. N8Howell33

N8Howell33 Member

My bro in law has an order in for those (I’m using his account for mine). He ordered in 2/15/18 and nothing yet. He’s in Salem too.

17. Nurkbonis

Nurkbonis Member

He and I ordered the same day... race between the two of us!

• Like x 1
  18. Tomis905

Tomis905 Member

Configured on 2/14 and received my VIN687X today...Midnght silver metallic with aero wheels...Can’t wait!

19. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Awesome. I should be next. Keep refreshing but nothing yet.

• Like x 2
  20. Nurkbonis

Nurkbonis Member

I'm very curious when your delivery will be. The drive from Freemont to Portland takes one day (maybe two,) so if your car is being loaded onto a trailer, delivery might come fast. I'm in a weird spot where I'm not sure what to do about financing. I've seen some people report having a delivery date scheduled VERY fast after a VIN has been assigned on the west coast. I've yet to apply for financing without a VIN, but I'd hate to get a call asking for delivery to be in a few days and be slowed down by my bank taking too long to process things. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it might only be a day or two delay, but I'm hoping to time this perfectly. I just don't want to apply for financing and then have some sort of odd delay require that I do a second hard-pull 30 days later.

• Like x 1