TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

VIN Assignment

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bswn1, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Shygar

Shygar Member

I wouldn't rush any financing mistake that will put a hard inquiry for 2 years or give you terms you don't like for up to 6 years. Delay your delivery in my opinion to do the financing right.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Posted this in the other VIN thread (why are there two of them?) but this seemed like the more appropriate place for it. Received my VIN today, 72xx. Configured on 2/22, blue with aero and EAP in NJ.

• Like x 1
  3. smak

smak Member

I think you have to split it up between California, and everywhere else.

There hasn't been a CA VIN since 3/3.

4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

It's a secret to everybody. I love that the NES generation is grown up and geeking out on Teslas.

• Like x 2
  5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

So far the invite spreadsheet has 13 new VIN assignments reported today, all outside of CA.

6. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

I think it’s clear, Tesla is trying to maximize deliveries in the 1st QTR and cash flow. So early March a push for outside of California and then there will be a Cali rush at the end of March.

In addition I see people posting about Areo wheels being a problem and the lack of black. There is no problem, they just cost $0. So they will prioritize EAP, sport wheels and any color other than black. That is what I would do if I wanted my 2 QTR letter to talk about the high margins.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. nonstickrobot

nonstickrobot Member

I haven’t seen black anywhere!
    Why would Tesla design energy efficient wheels, hype them up, then reward people that DON’T buy them? If you’re going to pinch people for spending $55K vs $54K, we’ll, that’s crazy. But then again, there’s nothing I can do except wait for them to take my money.

8. MikeDog77

MikeDog77 Member

I am waiting for the wheels and would have paid the extra for the Areo. But to answer your question it’s because the finance guys do what they have to do before the end of the QTR. And they were hoping/expecting to be closer to 2k a week by now and they need to scramble to spin the news.

• Like x 1
  9. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

According to Model 3 Invites google doc, in the 8 days prior to today, after the 1 week gap in Feb, we had 32 VIN assignments, and today alone we had 22 VIN assignments. What do you all think happened that opened the flood gate?

10. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

They may have shortened their coffee breaks

• Funny x 3
  11. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

I don't think the state of play at 3/31 matters a lot in terms of spin. Q3 prod/dev volume isn't going to be a positive, but by the time of the earnings call a month later, they'll be able to spin it by talking about the then-current production rate if they like, for example. The weekly rate should look much more positive by end April than it may at end March.

12. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Years ago I got my car loan from my insurer. The process was incredibly efficient: they approved it on my first phone call and overnighted me a blank check to use at the 'dealer' whenever I had found the car and price that I wanted. This may be a path for you to explore. Oh the insurer also through in gap coverage on the loan which was nice.

• Like x 1
  13. codeblue309

codeblue309 Member

Someone determined could track the VIN down to your home address. Not that it could happen but I don't feel like providing anything personal in a public forum. I find a VIN to be personally identifiable information which should be classified/restricted!

• Like x 1
  14. codeblue309

codeblue309 Member

Awesome! My delivery adviser emailed back saying he see no logistics plan for my car yet. Not as lucky but I am fine with a March delivery!

15. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

VIN70XX, silver/aero. Ordered 2/20, previous owner.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Obviously it's the Tesla semi bringing the battery packs. They've got that electric synchronicity mojo going.

17. Indy3

Indy3 Member

Prediction: Pearl White Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels is up next for 99xx or 100xx, followed by Black/Aero

Looking through the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet data this morning, I noticed a consistent pattern of production sequence (assuming production sequence follows VIN sequence, which they should).

There are some gaps in the VINs that have been reported, but this appears to be the production order.

So, up next will be White/Sport, then Black/Aero, and so on.

Production sequence and the sequence in which cars with VINs are assigned to buyers/locations do not consistently match up, but I presume that is primarily due to delivery batching (i.e. getting a mix of cars to fill orders to a given location/area so as to maximize efficiencies in shipping cars across the country).

This explains why so many White/Sport and Black/Aero buyers have been waiting so long for their VINs, we are up next folks.... (crossing every finger I have for my White/Sport VIN soon.)

upload_2018-3-8_13-54-3.png

• Informative x 14
    • Like x 2
  18. dhu1

dhu1 Member

Interesting analysis. The data seems accurate, my midnight silver/sport is indeed in the VIN 33XX range. The question I would have about your prediction, is why it wouldn't be white aero next as oppose to black aero? Based on your data, it would suggest that the black/midnight silver aero portion has passed and we're onto white aero at this point. Obviously all speculation, but at least something to do while waiting.

19. LV Acrobat

LV Acrobat Member

I really hope Black areos comes soon, I'm running out of time a quickly. Also black aeros had a run 48-4900 that isnt in your data.

• Like x 1
  20. prijicrw

prijicrw Member

Yes, I have been waiting for White/Aero VIN since placing order on 2/5/18, SoCal :(

• Informative x 1
  21. Indy3

Indy3 Member

Sequence goes bottom of my chart up.... so after White/Sport, you would go back to the bottom of the list with Black/Aero

in sequential order it would be:

1. Black/Aero
    2. MSM/Aero
    3. Silver/Aero
    4. Red/Aero
    5. Blue/Aero
    6. White/Aero

7. Black/Sport
    8. MSM/Sport
    9. Silver/Sport
    10. Red/Sport
    11. Blue/Sport
    12. White/Sport

then start back at 1 with Black/Aero

We appear to be on #11 (Blue/Sport) with the highest reported VIN on the Model 3 Invite spreadsheet

• Informative x 1