Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very curious when your delivery will be. The drive from Freemont to Portland takes one day (maybe two,) so if your car is being loaded onto a trailer, delivery might come fast. I'm in a weird spot where I'm not sure what to do about financing. I've seen some people report having a delivery date scheduled VERY fast after a VIN has been assigned on the west coast. I've yet to apply for financing without a VIN, but I'd hate to get a call asking for delivery to be in a few days and be slowed down by my bank taking too long to process things. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it might only be a day or two delay, but I'm hoping to time this perfectly. I just don't want to apply for financing and then have some sort of odd delay require that I do a second hard-pull 30 days later.
I wouldn't rush any financing mistake that will put a hard inquiry for 2 years or give you terms you don't like for up to 6 years. Delay your delivery in my opinion to do the financing right.

Posted this in the other VIN thread (why are there two of them?) but this seemed like the more appropriate place for it. Received my VIN today, 72xx. Configured on 2/22, blue with aero and EAP in NJ.

Reactions: Kipp
Congrats for all of the red/aero VINs from 2/14. I can mark that step and the next off my list as I see 2 blue/aeros from 2/22 non-owners have their VINs:
  • 2/14 owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for any color and aero wheels
Next step:
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
Exciting day for lots of folks.

All you red/aero folks with new VINs need to update the Model 3 sheet. There are six new entries today and none of them are red. Thanks. I know, I know, you are totally excited and have forgotten. You can tell me that when I get my red/aero VIN. :)
I think you have to split it up between California, and everywhere else.

There hasn't been a CA VIN since 3/3.

So far the invite spreadsheet has 13 new VIN assignments reported today, all outside of CA.

I think it’s clear, Tesla is trying to maximize deliveries in the 1st QTR and cash flow. So early March a push for outside of California and then there will be a Cali rush at the end of March.

In addition I see people posting about Areo wheels being a problem and the lack of black. There is no problem, they just cost $0. So they will prioritize EAP, sport wheels and any color other than black. That is what I would do if I wanted my 2 QTR letter to talk about the high margins.

Congrats for all of the red/aero VINs from 2/14. I can mark that step and the next off my list as I see 2 blue/aeros from 2/22 non-owners have their VINs:
  • 2/14 owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for any color and aero wheels
Next step:
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
Exciting day for lots of folks.

All you red/aero folks with new VINs need to update the Model 3 sheet. There are six new entries today and none of them are red. Thanks. I know, I know, you are totally excited and have forgotten. You can tell me that when I get my red/aero VIN. :)

I haven’t seen black anywhere!
I think it’s clear, Tesla is trying to maximize deliveries in the 1st QTR and cash flow. So early March a push for outside of California and then there will be a Cali rush at the end of March.

In addition I see people posting about Areo wheels being a problem and the lack of black. There is no problem, they just cost $0. So they will prioritize EAP, sport wheels and any color other than black. That is what I would do if I wanted my 2 QTR letter to talk about the high margins.

Why would Tesla design energy efficient wheels, hype them up, then reward people that DON’T buy them? If you’re going to pinch people for spending $55K vs $54K, we’ll, that’s crazy. But then again, there’s nothing I can do except wait for them to take my money.

I haven’t seen black anywhere!

Why would Tesla design energy efficient wheels, hype them up, then reward people that DON’T buy them? If you’re going to pinch people for spending $55K vs $54K, we’ll, that’s crazy. But then again, there’s nothing I can do except wait for them to take my money.

I am waiting for the wheels and would have paid the extra for the Areo. But to answer your question it’s because the finance guys do what they have to do before the end of the QTR. And they were hoping/expecting to be closer to 2k a week by now and they need to scramble to spin the news.

Reactions: Reciprocity
they need to scramble to spin the news
I don't think the state of play at 3/31 matters a lot in terms of spin. Q3 prod/dev volume isn't going to be a positive, but by the time of the earnings call a month later, they'll be able to spin it by talking about the then-current production rate if they like, for example. The weekly rate should look much more positive by end April than it may at end March.

I just don't want to apply for financing and then have some sort of odd delay
Years ago I got my car loan from my insurer. The process was incredibly efficient: they approved it on my first phone call and overnighted me a blank check to use at the 'dealer' whenever I had found the car and price that I wanted. This may be a path for you to explore. Oh the insurer also through in gap coverage on the loan which was nice.

Reactions: Nurkbonis
Just curious. Why do we want to hide the last two digit of VIN number? How can someone abuse or misuse that info?

Someone determined could track the VIN down to your home address. Not that it could happen but I don't feel like providing anything personal in a public forum. I find a VIN to be personally identifiable information which should be classified/restricted!

Reactions: PoitNarf
Prediction: Pearl White Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels is up next for 99xx or 100xx, followed by Black/Aero

Looking through the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet data this morning, I noticed a consistent pattern of production sequence (assuming production sequence follows VIN sequence, which they should).

There are some gaps in the VINs that have been reported, but this appears to be the production order.

So, up next will be White/Sport, then Black/Aero, and so on.

Production sequence and the sequence in which cars with VINs are assigned to buyers/locations do not consistently match up, but I presume that is primarily due to delivery batching (i.e. getting a mix of cars to fill orders to a given location/area so as to maximize efficiencies in shipping cars across the country).

This explains why so many White/Sport and Black/Aero buyers have been waiting so long for their VINs, we are up next folks.... (crossing every finger I have for my White/Sport VIN soon.)

upload_2018-3-8_13-54-3.png

Prediction: Pearl White Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels is up next for 99xx or 100xx, followed by Black/Aero

Looking through the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet data this morning, I noticed a consistent pattern of production sequence (assuming production sequence follows VIN sequence, which they should).

There are some gaps in the VINs that have been reported, but this appears to be the production order.

Production sequence and the sequence in which cars with VINs are assigned to buyers/locations do not consistently match up, but I presume that is primarily due to delivery batching (i.e. getting a mix of cars to fill orders to a given location/area so as to maximize efficiencies in shipping cars across the country).

This explains why so many White/Sport and Black/Aero buyers have been waiting so long for their VINs, we are up next folks.... (crossing every finger I have for my White/Sport VIN soon.)

View attachment 285141
Interesting analysis. The data seems accurate, my midnight silver/sport is indeed in the VIN 33XX range. The question I would have about your prediction, is why it wouldn't be white aero next as oppose to black aero? Based on your data, it would suggest that the black/midnight silver aero portion has passed and we're onto white aero at this point. Obviously all speculation, but at least something to do while waiting.

View attachment 285141
I really hope Black areos comes soon, I'm running out of time a quickly. Also black aeros had a run 48-4900 that isnt in your data.

Reactions: MikeDog77
Sequence goes bottom of my chart up.... so after White/Sport, you would go back to the bottom of the list with Black/Aero

in sequential order it would be:

1. Black/Aero
2. MSM/Aero
3. Silver/Aero
4. Red/Aero
5. Blue/Aero
6. White/Aero

7. Black/Sport
8. MSM/Sport
9. Silver/Sport
10. Red/Sport
11. Blue/Sport
12. White/Sport

then start back at 1 with Black/Aero

We appear to be on #11 (Blue/Sport) with the highest reported VIN on the Model 3 Invite spreadsheet

• Informative
Reactions: RyanS