Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN assigned, but I can't apply for the loan yet. When does that happen? More waiting!

Gotta wait for someone at Tesla to reach out to you. May be worth exploring financing at a credit union or local bank. Many, including myself, have gotten pre-approval for loans with better rates than what people have gone through Tesla financing have reported receiving.

• Informative
Reactions: power-eq-iv
Gotta wait for someone at Tesla to reach out to you. May be worth exploring financing at a credit union or local bank. Many, including myself, have gotten pre-approval for loans with better rates than what people have gone through Tesla financing have reported receiving.
Already approved at 2.49% at Tech CU. I just wanted to see if I could get even better.

Reactions: power-eq-iv
For whatever it's worth, in the Model 3 Invites google doc, in the chart of VIN vs date, earlier this week before the massive VIN assignment started on March 7th, the linear extrapolation line intercepted March 31 at 10,000 almost exactly, and R^2 was ~0.80. Now the intercept has shifted up to ~10,200-10,300, and R^2 has gone up to ~0.85. It's likely not statistically significant, not yet, but with 3 weeks yet to go in March...

Does that curve assume that all VIN slots are eventually filled with cars? Is that a valid assumption to make?

Prediction: Pearl White Multi-Coat with 19" Sport Wheels is up next for 99xx or 100xx, followed by Black/Aero

Looking through the Model 3 Invites spreadsheet data this morning, I noticed a consistent pattern of production sequence (assuming production sequence follows VIN sequence, which they should).

There are some gaps in the VINs that have been reported, but this appears to be the production order.

So, up next will be White/Sport, then Black/Aero, and so on.

Production sequence and the sequence in which cars with VINs are assigned to buyers/locations do not consistently match up, but I presume that is primarily due to delivery batching (i.e. getting a mix of cars to fill orders to a given location/area so as to maximize efficiencies in shipping cars across the country).

This explains why so many White/Sport and Black/Aero buyers have been waiting so long for their VINs, we are up next folks.... (crossing every finger I have for my White/Sport VIN soon.)

View attachment 285141
I can fill in another hole in this sheet, just spotted black sport with 7600 vin. Makes your chart even more accurate. All other vins I got today in person line up perfect with the rest of chart. Good work. Also white sport extended into the 6500’s.

Edit: showroom model; midnight silver sport 8000

Last edited:
I am waiting for the wheels and would have paid the extra for the Areo. But to answer your question it’s because the finance guys do what they have to do before the end of the QTR. And they were hoping/expecting to be closer to 2k a week by now and they need to scramble to spin the news.

I don’t buy the prioritizing based on 19” or premium color.
Got my vin today 98xx! Red / Sport / EAP

Configured 2/14. Freemont Delivery, no date yet

Wow. Red is flying off the shelves, so to speak. Where do you live in the Bay Area? I’m Bay Area and at 5 weeks tomorrow with no VIN (black, aeros)

2/14, Red, Sport no VIN here. Not exactly what you are asking for though. When I went through the spreadsheet last night I think about 50% of 2/14 had VINs.

I'd be willing to bet you get your VIN by the end of next week.

Got my vin today 98xx! Red / Sport / EAP

Configured 2/14. Freemont Delivery, no date yet
I think somebody owes me a beer. ;) Congrats! Now on to the next level of waiting. Oh, and the double or nothing bet is that your delivery will be by March 31st.

Red is flying off the shelves, so to speak.
Yeah 4 of 7 VINs on the invite spreadsheet were red/aero configs as of now. Looks like they are going through yet another color with aero wheels. Question is which will be next, white or black? I took a look at all 2/22 configs that haven't received VINs yet. There are somewhat equal numbers for blue, MSM, and White (low 30s). Red, Black are less (mid 20s) and Silver looks to be almost done (10).

This week has been a banner week for reported VINs (73), besting the previous record week starting 1/28 (48). Two weeks following that previous record was the current record holder for deliveries for week starting 2/11 with 73. That means that the week of 3/18 should be somewhere on the order of 110 deliveries. Adjusting for the 110 reported deliveries (17 estimated deliveries/speadsheet delivery) that translates into 1947 deliveries. They may be getting that ramp going pretty well unless some of these deliveries are from some cars that were sitting in lots for a bit.

Keep it up Tesla.

Yeah 4 of 7 VINs on the invite spreadsheet were red/aero configs as of now. Looks like they are going through yet another color with aero wheels. Question is which will be next, white or black? I took a look at all 2/22 configs that haven't received VINs yet. There are somewhat equal numbers for blue, MSM, and White (low 30s). Red, Black are less (mid 20s) and Silver looks to be almost done (10).

This week has been a banner week for reported VINs (73), besting the previous record week starting 1/28 (48). Two weeks following that previous record was the current record holder for deliveries for week starting 2/11 with 73. That means that the week of 3/18 should be somewhere on the order of 110 deliveries. Adjusting for the 110 reported deliveries (17 estimated deliveries/speadsheet delivery) that translates into 1947 deliveries. They may be getting that ramp going pretty well unless some of these deliveries are from some cars that were sitting in lots for a bit.

Keep it up Tesla.

I have to imagine black is up next for a big production. When I configured (2/4), seems like I just missed the last one. Right after that, a decent run of white happened.

Highest reported VINs are blue with sport wheels. White should be next and then black. This is based on the color pattern of black, midnight silver, silver, red, blue, white. It then starts over. This has been the rough pattern as of now.

I have to imagine black is up next for a big production. When I configured (2/4), seems like I just missed the last one. Right after that, a decent run of white happened.

Already approved at 2.49% at Tech CU. I just wanted to see if I could get even better.
I was able to get 1.99% at TechCU for a 48mo loan. I guess the rates go a bit higher for longer loans. I was able to get the loan approved the week after I configured by getting my DS's name and starting the application over the phone. Now I just need to give them my paperwork with the VIN and all should be in order for delivery. I have heard that others have gotten 1.79% but I was already approved by TechCU and I think it was for a 36mo loan which was too short for me.

Did you get your call today?

I was able to get 1.99% at TechCU for a 48mo loan. I guess the rates go a bit higher for longer loans. I was able to get the loan approved the week after I configured by getting my DS's name and starting the application over the phone. Now I just need to give them my paperwork with the VIN and all should be in order for delivery. I have heard that others have gotten 1.79% but I was already approved by TechCU and I think it was for a 36mo loan which was too short for me.

Did you get your call today?
No call. Guess it will be Monday. I REALLY want my car by the 24th if at all possible so I’m feeling impatient!