Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called my local DS yesterday and was told that from their perspective these deliveries are different than S/X in that they don't have any visibility on the status. He said Inside Sales is managing all of the Model 3 sales so he doesn't have access to the file like he would on an S/X. Sounds like the cars basically show up and then they go from there.

This could explain why a lot of people saw their delivery dates move up from the initial DS call. Basically if the DS is used to getting visibility on the cars about 3-4 weeks out from delivery they probably schedule that way as well, so when they see the TM3 order show up they book 3-4 weeks out. Then the car shows up a few days later and they bump up the delivery.

Ordered 1/4/18. VIN 34XX assigned 1/15/18. Silver Metallic with 19 inch wheels.

Told to expect Feb. 6 delivery at Decatur, GA SC!

Nice

I heard from the DS today and scheduled delivery for next week, also Silver Metallic/19" and my VIN 349x sounds pretty close to yours.

In summary:
Reserved March 31, 2016 in person Tysons, VA
Invited to configure and configured Jan 4, 2018
VIN 34xx assigned Jan 12
Called by DS to schedule delivery January 16
Delivery scheduled for January 24 at Tysons, VA

Mine will be on same train. 42xx, was just told car is in production. Delivery scheduled 2/7, also in Tyson's.
Just idle speculation here....

If it is agreed that Tesla had produced (1550 + 860 in transit) 2410 Model 3's as of 31 Dec 2017 and 42xx (let's say 4250) is being built "now" (day 16 of January), that works out to (4250-2410 equals) 1846 units produced in (16/7) 2.29 weeks....

....equals a weekly build rate of 806 units.....still less than 1000 a week......

Again, just idle speculation.....

Just idle speculation here....

If it is agreed that Tesla had produced (1550 + 860 in transit) 2410 Model 3's as of 31 Dec 2017 and 42xx (let's say 4250) is being built "now" (day 16 of January), that works out to (4250-2410 equals) 1846 units produced in (16/7) 2.29 weeks....

....equals a weekly build rate of 806 units.....still less than 1000 a week......

Again, just idle speculation.....

Only problem with that logic is that the 2410 Model 3's produced in 2017 included VINs into the 3000 range.

Agree. Speculating that if they build a bunch in a batch, people are getting ones already built assigned to them.
That much is for sure (and the MVPA confirms it), but I don't have enough data to draw any other conclusions. Two people might order the same config on the same day for pickup at the same location, and someone might order the same config the next day, and the person who ordered the next day might get his VIN assigned between the two others in terms of assignment date. I can't understand how things like that would happen.