Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
111XX VIN reported on r/teslamotors. Whether it's the same or different from the one reported earlier on the spreadsheet, I'd say that stands as further evidence that the entry is legitimate.

Seems like this could only be good news, but I am very, very curious to know how we're all the way back to blue/19" with so many aero configurations still left waiting.

EDIT: Confirmed as a second entry by redditor. Two 111XX VINs now appear on the spreadsheet. Both blue/19". Both California.

Reactions: PoitNarf
my sister's stats:

reserved 3/31 waiting in line before San Diego Store even opened
configured 2/14
VIN 93XX assigned March 11
picking up in SF or Fremont

• Enhanced Autopilot
  • Long Range Battery
  • Rear Wheel Drive
  • Black Interior
  • Solid Black Paint
  • Premium Upgrades
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
I'm still waiting for my invite

Oh goodness. She just texted me and says it's available for pickup this Friday in SF 3/16.

Of note, my brother who ordered same place /same line/ configured same time still does not have a VIN he asked for autopilot, blue regular wheels but taking delivery in San Diego

In my model, they could go on producing cars with VINs as low as 6700 all the way through March 1 and it would be consistent with the theory. And there could've been some stragglers from the previous batch, down to 4800, making their way out of the factory for some time after they made the 8235 (there's apparently some reordering happening after the production stage, but on the scale of a few days, not weeks.)

So, in short, cars are made in arbitrary batches/configurations depending on tactical production considerations, but binned into VINs according to configuration and color. Every so often they move to a new set of VIN bins.

However, we have no evidence that all VIN bins are full before a new set of bins is used—or do we? I would imagine they might move to a new set of bins when just one of the bins is full, or after a major production change. Or perhaps there is no coordinated set of bins at all, and they simply allocate a new bin for a config when the prior bin for that config is full.

Consider how they assign VIN but then actually produce on the production line. They will assign 1000 VIN for a specific color for example with a plan to produce 1000 cars. If they only produce 900 for whatever reason, they are left with 100 unassigned VIN. It isn't worth the effort to reassign those VIN. By the time they know that they have extra VIN, they are already onto the next color/VIN sequence. The other case is not all cars pass QC. Those cars already have a VIN and will show up once the car is fixed and passes QC.

I have no specific knowledge of how they manage VIN but a lot of experience managing serial numbers on a production line. A lot goes into the planning and execution.

I'm posting twice so as not to taint my genuine positivity, for dha and in general.

That said, it's really unfortunate, and becoming increasingly annoying, that Tesla offered the same estimated delivery range for every order, yet they are very clearly presently favoring sport wheel configurations. I intend to purchase aftermarket wheels anyway. Had I know another $1500 would have upped my delivery date, I certainly would've considered it, and I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

With VINs through 9999 seemingly all sport, VINs at 111XX confirmed as sport, and now a 100XX VIN turning up sport, I'm starting to lose hope that my black/aero configuration will reveal itself by the end of the month, let alone in my 3-6 week delivery window. Color me confused.

Reactions: LV Acrobat
I'm posting twice so as not to taint my genuine positivity, for dha and in general.

That said, it's really unfortunate, and becoming increasingly annoying, that Tesla offered the same estimated delivery range for every order, yet they are very clearly presently favoring sport wheel configurations. I intend to purchase aftermarket wheels anyway. Had I know another $1500 would have upped my delivery date, I certainly would've considered it, and I'm guessing I'm not alone in this.

With VINs through 9999 seemingly all sport, VINs at 111XX confirmed as sport, and now a 100XX VIN turning up sport, I'm starting to lose hope that my black/aero configuration will reveal itself by the end of the month, let alone in my 3-6 week delivery window. Color me confused.

First of all, I am in the same boat as you(black/aero 2/22). It seems to be more about color than it is wheels. I had read on here last week a post and a guy pretty much had the production schedule figured out. He predicted that white/sport and then black/aero would be the next two runs. So here is hoping that we get our VIN's by the end of the week. If not I expect them by this time next week.

So, in short, cars are made in arbitrary batches/configurations depending on tactical production considerations, but binned into VINs according to configuration and color. Every so often they move to a new set of VIN bins.

However, we have no evidence that all VIN bins are full before a new set of bins is used—or do we? I would imagine they might move to a new set of bins when just one of the bins is full, or after a major production change. Or perhaps there is no coordinated set of bins at all, and they simply allocate a new bin for a config when the prior bin for that config is full.

This can be taken two ways.

If you mean that they may be occasionally using bins from the new set concurrently with bins from the old set: they didn't do it in the past - back when VINs were below 5000, you could clearly see all bins from the same set / block being put in use simultaneously, with first assignments in each bin arriving within a couple of days of each other.

Nowadays that may not be observed so rigorously, especially with the matter of pearl white, which seems to run at least one if not two sets behind.

If you mean that they may simply "abandon" some VINs and move on without filling previous bins, I am not sure if they are allowed to do that. The are already bending the rules by shuffling VINs, since pretty much the only thing federal regs say about them is that VINs should be assigned sequentially. And I don't think we have evidence (yet) for any large blocks of VINs being permanently abandoned.

First of all, I am in the same boat as you(black/aero 2/22). It seems to be more about color than it is wheels. I had read on here last week a post and a guy pretty much had the production schedule figured out. He predicted that white/sport and then black/aero would be the next two runs. So here is hoping that we get our VIN's by the end of the week. If not I expect them by this time next week.

Yes this. I've studied the patterns myself and know what you're referring to. Black aeros should be immediately following. The curious part is that some black aeros were assigned out east last week, and the VIN gaps are dwindling by the day.

Considering there are still folks with black/aero configs from the first two weeks of February waiting for a VIN, I can only assume they'll need a fair sized chunk of VINs to assign to this configuration, and with this 100XX sport VIN popping up, VIN bin availability just took a major hit.

I'm the same exact same boat as you. White/aero ordered on 2/15. No VIN. Tesla is batch producing by color and wheel and there have been a decent amount of aero VINs assigned the last three days.

There was or is clearly an issue with white paint, as there had been only one white VIN in March until a bunch started hitting yesterday and today sport/aero. The tracker won't load for me right now, but I checked earlier this morning and there were eight white VINs assigned, 3 aero and 5 sport in the last two day. Aero wheels are still trickling out, but most of the white VINs assigned today were sport wheels. I am crossing my fingers that more aero wheels continue to trickle out. It'd be a major annoyance to me if Tesla is prioritizing sport wheels to pad earnings. I don't think they are based on VINs that have recently been assigned, but if that trend changes I will be sad. Ha.

Updated VIN to Colors Chart:
VIN_Colors.PNG

I know it's still somewhat early/middle of the day, but I am seeing most if not all of today's VIN assignments shifting back to the West coast or at least closer to CA. I was so excited to see White/Sport VINs start to show up, but my excitement may be short lived if the CA and close to CA trend continues today/tomorrow (as I am in Indiana). Happy for all the CA and closer to CA folks to get some love after waiting out the East coast delivery focus earlier this month.

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3