Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well then!

Since things got wacky after the white run earlier this week, this is what we have so far from yesterday and today:
White - 5 (3 Sport, 2 Aero) (1 Aero to OR)
Midnight Silver - 4 (3 Sport, 1 Aero) (*Aero to MO)
Blue - 3 (1 Sport, 2 Aero) (1 Aero to NV)
Red - 2 (1 Sport, 1 Aero) (*1 NY delivery, replacement VIN)
Silver - 1 (Aero)
Black - 1 (Aero)

Unless otherwise notated, the above are all CA deliveries. All over the place.

Finally a black aero! Invited 2/13, configured same day, VIN 67XX.

Still no discernible pattern these last couple days as far as I can tell.
If you see a VIN in the 9000's to 11000's, than they are going to be bunched in a certain color.

If you see a 67xx VIN, it's just an extra car they had available for one person, it's not an indication of a color run.

Not so sure I would say (well as of yet) that red cars are getting the shaft - but certainly playing the proverbial second fiddle to other colors. Thanks to the post by ELRev I at least have a glimmer of hope since he or she showed a couple of red's shipping. Plus if you look at the Fremont staging yard pictures posted in another thread; there were many red M3's - both with Aero and Sport Wheels. Unfortunately I suspect many of them are going outside of CA. Am still hopeful that late this month or early April I will be able to take delivery.

Non-owner; 3/31 line waiter in San Diego; Configured on 2/22 - Aero, EAP. But as of 3/16, 5:28pm - still VINless in San Diego!

Quite a few more this afternoon. Here's a recap @ 6:00 PM PDT (VINs assigned 3/15-3/16):

White - 8 | 4 Sport | 4 Aero
Blue - 7 | 1 Sport | 6 Aero
Midnight Silver - 5 | 3 Sport | 2 Aero
Red - 2 | 1 Sport | 1 Aero
Silver - 2 | 1 Sport | 1 Aero
Black - 1 | 0 Sport | 1 Aero

Looks like today saw a small run on blue aeros in the 90XX range. This is a smaller run than usual but the second batch in 10 days, as the last run of blue aeros was VINs 73XX on March 7. Still mostly CA deliveries, as expected.

We're still in uncharted territory at the moment, with a seemingly sporadic push to close out 18Q1 strong driving relatively inconsistent VIN distribution. Every color and wheel configuration has seen a run in the last 10 days of similar quantity to or larger than today's blue/aero batch EXCEPT for black, which continues to trickle in randomly.

Likely tough sledding trying to predict the next couple weeks before the end of March.

Godspeed to anyone waiting as obsessively as I am.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Last edited:
Got a VIN today for white / aero. Had trouble with my entry and had an admin delete so I could resubmit but it appears to have not worked...

So you can add one more white/aero to your list.

92xx

Quite a few more this afternoon. Here's a recap @ 6:00 PM PDT (VINs assigned 3/15-3/16):

White - 7 | 4 Sport | 3 Aero

Looks like today saw a small run on blue aeros in the 90XX range. This is a smaller run than usual but the second batch in 10 days, as the last run of blue aeros was VINs 73XX on March 7. Still mostly CA deliveries, as expected.

We're still in uncharted territory at the moment, with a seemingly sporadic push to close out 18Q1 strong driving relatively inconsistent VIN distribution. Every color and wheel configuration has seen a run in the last 10 days of similar quantity to or larger than today's blue/aero batch EXCEPT for black, which continues to trickle in randomly.

Likely tough sledding trying to predict the next couple weeks before the end of March.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Not so sure I would say (well as of yet) that red cars are getting the shaft - but certainly playing the proverbial second fiddle to other colors. Thanks to the post by ELRev I at least have a glimmer of hope since he or she showed a couple of red's shipping. Plus if you look at the Fremont staging yard pictures posted in another thread; there were many red M3's - both with Aero and Sport Wheels. Unfortunately I suspect many of them are going outside of CA. Am still hopeful that late this month or early April I will be able to take delivery.

Non-owner; 3/31 line waiter in San Diego; Configured on 2/22 - Aero, EAP. But as of 3/16, 5:28pm - still VINless in San Diego!

A little hope for red waiters. Got my vin today!! Red/sport/eap for San Diego.

Early line waiter, 2/22 invite and config

White - 8 | 4 Sport | 4 Aero

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Thank you for your diligence in dissecting and reporting on the data! Hope your M3 arrives soon too.

Reactions: Insight75
Got my VIN over the evening. Configured on 2/28. White, sport, long range, premium package and auto pilot. Excited! What’s the general time frame people are seeing delivery post-vin assignment? If that’s already been answered I’ll go look for it. I’ll also update the spreadsheet.