Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They call you and shoot you an e-mail after you are invited to configure.

RT

They called YOU lol They don't call everyone. I configured 2/22 and received my VIN a few hours before you, this morning. No word from Tesla yet.

Wondering if calling their main number might help expedite the process.

EDIT: For anyone in a similar spot, I called 888-51-TESLA. I was given the name of my owner advisor, which I did not already have, and told they'd ping her internally to give me a call back.

If you haven't heard from your ISA/Owner Advisor yet, you probably have one assigned, and you might help expedite your process by giving Tesla a call.

They called YOU lol They don't call everyone. I configured 2/22 and received my VIN a few hours before you, this morning. No word from Tesla yet.

Just keep in mind that even though you have a VIN, that doesn't mean that the car is off the production line. My VIN was assigned on 3/14, but the car was not off the line until 3/20. Once off the line, they can give you an accurate delivery date since they can then setup delivery logistics. So be patient, you're almost there.

Word of caution to the impatient:

Complete your delivery profile (i.e. input your insurance info, decide on a trade-in, etc.) BEFORE or IMMEDIATELY AFTER receiving a VIN.

I spoke to my owner advisor just now. She is completely unable to access the delivery schedule for any Model 3 order until the owner's delivery profile is 100% complete. After hanging up with her, I uploaded my insurance info and declined a trade-in to help expedite the process, but she said it may take a day for her to get back to me with a delivery window.

If you want to avoid any hiccups when you finally get the call, make sure every option shows a green (!) as soon as possible.

Your ISA taking a day or two to get back to you is likely not related to your delivery profile being incomplete.

My insurance 6-month window lapsed between when I submitted the info during configuration to when my VIN was assigned. In Tesla's eyes, I had no insurance. My ISA told me the day she could likely get me the car, if I got her the updated insurance info ASAP. ISAs are unable to lock in a delivery date if the profile is incomplete.

I sent her a screen grab of the updated info and within 10 minutes she confirmed the delivery date, which makes me think your ISA simply might need a day or two to confirm logistics of getting you the car unrelated to the missing info.

With that said, I hope you get your car ASAP and it is good advice to make sure the delivery profile is as complete as it can be.

Complete your delivery profile (i.e. input your insurance info, decide on a trade-in, etc.) BEFORE or IMMEDIATELY AFTER receiving a VIN.

I spoke to my owner advisor just now. She is completely unable to access the delivery schedule for any Model 3 order until the owner's delivery profile is 100% complete. After hanging up with her, I uploaded my insurance info and declined a trade-in to help expedite the process, but she said it may take a day for her to get back to me with a delivery window.

If you want to avoid any hiccups when you finally get the call, make sure every option shows a green (!) as soon as possible.

Your ISA taking a day or two to get back to you is likely not related to your delivery profile being incomplete.

This is specifically related to the fact that my owner advisor has a list of clients to call. She called me, told me what the next steps were (in this case, finishing my delivery profile), and then had to hang up and call the next person.

Had I completed the delivery profile before she called, I might have a delivery date scheduled already. Because I didn't and because she has other work to do, now I have to wait until she calls me back.

So, not directly related but indirectly causing the same effect. The wait continues, but it's so close now!

Makes sense. Hope you get a date soon. Also, don't be afraid to ask if there is an earlier date. I was initially told 3/27 and simply said, "is there an earlier opening?" She almost immediately said, "hmm... looks like we can fit you in on the 24th."

This is specifically related to the fact that my owner advisor has a list of clients to call. She called me, told me what the next steps were (in this case, finishing my delivery profile), and then had to hang up and call the next person.

Had I completed the delivery profile before she called, I might have a delivery date scheduled already. Because I didn't and because she has other work to do, now I have to wait until she calls me back.

So, not directly related but indirectly causing the same effect. The wait continues, but it's so close now!

• Informative
Reactions: ELRev

This is completely opposite of what my ISA told me. He said they weren't related but the profile would have to be completed before I went to pick up the vehicle. I'm starting to doubt my ISA now. Tried calling him twice since reading this and no answer. Wondering if my vehicle doesn't exist now...

This is completely opposite of what my ISA told me. He said they weren't related but the profile would have to be completed before I went to pick up the vehicle. I'm starting to doubt my ISA now. Tried calling him twice since reading this and no answer. Wondering if my vehicle doesn't exist now...
Ultimately they need the insurance info in the delivery profile prior to setting up delivery. They will again take a copy of your insurance info at the point of delivery to ensure you have valid insurance. That is what happened at my last delivery. Getting my second delivery today so will tell you if my first was an isolated incident.

EDIT: For anyone in a similar spot, I called 888-51-TESLA. I was given the name of my owner advisor, which I did not already have, and told they'd ping her internally to give me a call back.

If you haven't heard from your ISA/Owner Advisor yet, you probably have one assigned, and you might help expedite your process by giving Tesla a call.

I called about one week ago to change my profile. Was told the owner advise "Chris" would call to allow me to make changes. Still no VIN and no call. My guess is you get assigned to an owner advisor early. They won't call or communicate unless they have to. They probably work a bit differently so we probably see different responses or experiences. I am getting the feeling as production ramps up they will strain the ability to process cars and purchases. IF they have enough ISA or owner advisors for a much larger ramp up, I would expect everyone to get a ton of communication. If they double production, they better be doubling delivery center throughput as well as ISA to handle it. You won't know the bottleneck until you get to it.

Interesting to note that, of the 7 VINs reported on the spreadsheet today, 4 have FSD. That's the highest ratio of FSD in a single day period and the most FSD cars assigned VINs in one day since March 7.

With the Q1 push and highest-margin vehicles in mind, I wonder if Tesla is now further incorporating software options into their plan of attack for making as much money as possible for that Q1 earnings report. Something to keep an eye on.

Got my VIN!!!

88xx

Red/Aero
2/22 config
Pasadena, about 90th in line.

I am not going to be in town 8 of the next 11 days, so will be hard to fit in the quarter. Sorry Tesla.

Very excited.
CONGRATS! Your receiving a VIN today gives me hope that mine may come within a few days. Same Red/Aero config as you. Also a 3/31/16 line waiter - but in San Diego. Probably within first 300 or so in line there. Safe travels wherever you are going.

Interesting to note that, of the 7 VINs reported on the spreadsheet today, 4 have FSD

I'm in that group... :D

And while I don't actually expect my Model 3 to start driving itself around any time soon, the thought of hundreds of Tesla software engineers starving to death keeps me up at night. So I tossed them 3 large and now I have been sleeping better. Besides, once you get past $55k, the $3k for FSD is a rounding error...

RT

P.S. Also hoping to get accepted into the EAP ;)

Holy cow! I got a call from Tesla that my car is ready for delivery. I got my VIN THIS morning!!! My first call from Tesla and they said I have to pick it up within 7 days as per terms. She repeated that 3 times actually! Trying to get all the paperwork in order. Still can't believe I may get it within a week. I'm still digesting the VIN news.

White/Aero/EAP
2/22 config
Bay Area
VIN assigned 3/21