Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
  • Funny
Reactions: gene
To all my fellow VIN-waiters:

Report on my recent experience. For the last few days, I tried playing "hard to get" with Tesla... maybe if I ignored my Tesla Account (i.e. only check once a day instead of 100x per day), it would get jealous and chase me instead by giving me the VIN I have begging for over the past 5 weeks. I am here to report that my Tesla Account just doesn't care how interested I am or how much I pretend to not be interested. My Tesla Account is the hottest one in the room and simply doesn't care.

East Coast VIN-Waiter who has (somewhat) accepted that it will be Mid-April before my Model 3 arrives.

To all my fellow VIN-waiters:

Report on my recent experience. For the last few days, I tried playing "hard to get" with Tesla... maybe if I ignored my Tesla Account (i.e. only check once a day instead of 100x per day), it would get jealous and chase me instead by giving me the VIN I have begging for over the past 5 weeks. I am here to report that my Tesla Account just doesn't care how interested I am or how much I pretend to not be interested. My Tesla Account is the hottest one in the room and simply doesn't care.

East Coast VIN-Waiter who has (somewhat) accepted that it will be Mid-April before my Model 3 arrives.
You may want to call the Tesla, they should have assigned an ISA, and they can ask the ISA to contact you. Once you get the VIN, it will be very quick, even if you are in East Coast.

Great News! ISA called this afternoon (3/27) and advised that my car is on it's way to San Diego. Should arrive at the new San Diego delivery center by this weekend. Delivery is scheduled for Monday 4/2. If any other owners picking up their vehicle in San Diego this weekend happen to see a Red M3 w/18" Aero wheels (VIN 116xx) feel free to take a picture and post. I hope everyone else who configured 2/22 also gets their vehicle soon. I have updated the spreadsheet accordingly.

Just curious where the VIN appears once it's been assigned to your account

On your Tesla account home page (i.e. screen with the MANAGE button), it replaces your RN. Therefore, there's no need to click into the details to see whether you've been assigned a VIN. In the vehicle details page, it's listed immediately below the reservation number.

• Helpful
Reactions: MosquitoFloss
Here is a positive outlook; not one person has waited more than 45 days for a VIN. I just hit day 42, so either this either means I should have a VIN by Saturday. And if not, then I set a new record for longest wait for VIN. WIN WIN

This doesn't make sense. I'm on the east coast and configured same day and have my car. I would contact Tesla to make sure nothing fell between the cracks. If you need some contact details of who contacted me, send me a PM.....

I configured March 8th, exactly three weeks ago and haven’t heard a peep or seen a VIN.

I unexpectedly sold my car a week ago (used Leafs with new batteries apparently sell *very* quickly) and the car I’m borrowing goes back on Sunday. I’m getting antsy.

Edit: MSM, Aeros, EAP

Last edited:
Reactions: marksuman