Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should I be concerned with getting a lower VIN? I got 75xx

First day reservation in CA 3/31/16 around 11:30am PST
Invite 2/28/18
Ordered 3/1/18 around 3pm
VIN 3/30/18 by 5pm
Non-owner
White/aero/eap

I’m seeing people with 12xxx and 13xxx vin already around the same time I ordered mine? Could this be a reject that was fixed?

I wouldn't be. Check out the spreadsheet. Sort by color and VIN. I did for black aero and I could see that there were others who were assigned vins in the same range around the same time as me and this is for vin in the 8400 range assigned last week. I think its true what people say, that Tesla produces in batches by color and does not mfg sequentially by vin at all.

I don't have access to the spreadsheet. I am a Florida non owner, 3/31 line waiter, invite 2/22, config 2/26, still awaiting a VIN. What's the guess on getting a VIN? The 3 to 6 week estimate is no good right?
Looks like configuration to VIN typically takes 4-5 weeks, most people get it within 6 weeks. From VIN to delivery is typically 2-3 weeks, some up to 4 weeks. If you add up both, the peak is ~32-40 days, right in the 4-6 week range. If you get unlucky in either getting VIN assignment or delivery schedule then you could go up to 10 weeks from configuration to delivery, I guess.

Edit: adding some charts with details

upload_2018-4-1_9-3-28.png

I don't have access to the spreadsheet. I am a Florida non owner, 3/31 line waiter, invite 2/22, config 2/26, still awaiting a VIN. What's the guess on getting a VIN? The 3 to 6 week estimate is no good right?

You got trapped by the end of the quarter. They had to deliver as many as possible by yesterday so the cutoff to send cars out to east coast was a few weeks ago. I'd expect your VIN any day now.

I only recently configured, so I'm not expecting a VIN for at least another week. However, the thought led me to wonder if I should even bother checking my account page on weekends. I put together a little chart from the invite / configure spreadsheet:
VINsAssignedByDay.png

I'm not sure if the relatively low number of Sunday VINs are maybe ones assigned on a previous day that hadn't been seen or maybe ones posted on a different day than it was assigned. The quantity of Saturday VINs is high enough that I think that they actually could be assigned on Saturday. So I'm gonna say every day of the with with the possible exception of Sunday (I'll probably check just in case, lol).

Also, I once saw a breakdown of VIN ranges by configuration -- can't remember where I saw it. Anyone know?

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
I only recently configured, so I'm not expecting a VIN for at least another week. However, the thought led me to wonder if I should even bother checking my account page on weekends. I put together a little chart from the invite / configure spreadsheet:
View attachment 291009
I'm not sure if the relatively low number of Sunday VINs are maybe ones assigned on a previous day that hadn't been seen or maybe ones posted on a different day than it was assigned. The quantity of Saturday VINs is high enough that I think that they actually could be assigned on Saturday. So I'm gonna say every day of the with with the possible exception of Sunday (I'll probably check just in case, lol).

Also, I once saw a breakdown of VIN ranges by configuration -- can't remember where I saw it. Anyone know?

My VIN was assigned sometime between 9:30 pm Saturday and 12:30 am Sunday.