Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
55D07222-FFA2-4BAB-AE42-69555EB9EC72.jpeg
3639E31A-0AD2-4B35-A527-5D7E78FCA947.jpeg
Good news for anyone holding out for 12345; this chump just missed it.

Attachments

• 89CDF436-979B-4FBD-9448-B3872ECD8E95.jpeg
    89CDF436-979B-4FBD-9448-B3872ECD8E95.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 34
How do they get the number into the car after it has been produced ?
Well, when a production technician and a chassis love each other very much, they give each other a very special hug...

Kidding aside, the car has a VIN from the start, then the car (including VIN) is assigned to the customer. Formerly customers would be assigned a VIN before production - but my assumption is Tesla is not assigning vehicles/VINs to customers until after an initial quality check right after production.

Well, when a production technician and a chassis love each other very much, they give each other a very special hug...

Kidding aside, the car has a VIN from the start, then the car (including VIN) is assigned to the customer. Formerly customers would be assigned a VIN before production - but my assumption is Tesla is not assigning vehicles/VINs to customers until after an initial quality check right after production.

So.. they make a car to my specification, and when it passes quality checks, they assign that VIN to me?

I don't think so. As you can see in some cases the VIN comes right the same day or next day after order confirmation.

What this means is, in some situations it is possible that the car is already made with some standard configuration and they match a customer to that after it is made. There are only a few combinations anyway. But mostly, the VIN is assigned to a customer before it is manufactured.

So.. they make a car to my specification, and when it passes quality checks, they assign that VIN to me?

I don't think so. As you can see in some cases the VIN comes right the same day or next day after order confirmation.

What this means is, in some situations it is possible that the car is already made with some standard configuration and they match a customer to that after it is made. There are only a few combinations anyway. But mostly, the VIN is assigned to a customer before it is manufactured.
You should also check when those customers get their cars delivered. In many cases those customers got lucky that there is a car near their delivery locations waiting for a customer urgently before the end of quarter, so as soon as they order they get the VIN, and Tesla tries to delivery as quickly as possible.

My theory is they are cranking them out as efficiently as they can with no regard to specific orders other than relative demand. Then they are ammalgomting for full truck or rail car shipments.
There is a very limited # of configurations. Basically the colors x 2 (wheels)
Although, I think the wheels could be switched out to fill a truck.
So my guess is that if they need your specific configuration to fill the truck and they have produced one, they assign that VIN to you.
It’s kind of like when you take an airport shuttle. If you’re thefirst one onboard you have to wait until all seats are filled. If you’re the last, the doors close and you’re on your way.
At least as a stockholder, I would hope that they are employing some sort of logistics for efficiency.

Last edited: