Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Painting the car on the move probably isn't as difficult as it initially sounds. The movement will be linear and slow. The robots are on a linear rail so they can match speed to the car.

Total guess since the only "robot" work I've done is building and running a 3D printer, but I'd say they programmed the robots sitting still, then added a linear motion along the rail to them after the paint movements were ironed out. I'm not sure if these expensive robots work on g-code, but it would be pretty trivial to add a linear motion along another axis to g-code designed for the rest of the motions.

Not trying to suggest anyone that commented doesn't know what they're talking about, but there's an amusing XKCD that illustrates that sometimes the reasons why task is or is not difficult isn't always obvious.
Getting back to the point I made which started this whole thread... does anybody know how the Model 3 factory is laid out? (been on a tour?) That is, how many lines are there through the place? Is it just one or several? If the factory as a whole outputs a car every 3 minutes, let's say, there are basically two ways to do it: either the entire assembly process is broken into 3-minute tasks and the entire process is serial (that is, car #1 goes into stage 1, when it's done 3 minutes later it goes to stage 2 while car #2 goes to stage 1, etc.) or there are parallel lines which can take more time per car at a given stage but more than 1 car is being made at a time. For example, if it takes 3 minutes to put a single door on the car, you could have a stage 23 for left front door installation, stage 24 for left rear door installation, stage 25 for right front door, and stage 26 for right rear door. Or you could have a car go to one of four 'door installation' pods where it takes 12 minutes to put all the doors on a given car but you have four of those going on at the same time. Either way you get a car made every 3 minutes. The point of this long post is that if it takes more than 3 minutes to paint a car (which I still believe it does- from the time it enters as a bare metal object to the point of being ready for the next step, like installing the seats, has to be more. For example, BMW states that it takes 12 HOURS to paint one of their cars. reference: Paint Shop | BMW US Factory ). Makes me think that there are multiple places in the Tesla factory where cars are painted. I also heard from a VW plant worker through a friend of mine that the hoses and nozzles are purged in between EVERY car to avoid spitting, so changing color from one car to the next would not cause a delay. In the end, I don't think 'batch colors' even exist or, if they do, they're for reasons other than 'changing the paint color' in the ONE paint booth. As said above, the XKCD illustrates that reasons often aren't obvious. It's probably driven by an accounting issue or something like that.

As a fellow Red/Aero configuration I'm super jealous of you both!

I also configured (and was invited) on 4/6 and I also ordered Red/Aero and I have been refreshing my account page to no avail D: I wonder if being on the East Coast has something to do with it?

I just keep telling myself that I'm only halfway through my 3-6 week window, and that I'm not allowed to start complaining until after May 18 (the end of the 6th week) ;)

Reactions: RenMan68
I also configured (and was invited) on 4/6 and I also ordered Red/Aero and I have been refreshing my account page to no avail D: I wonder if being on the East Coast has something to do with it?

I just keep telling myself that I'm only halfway through my 3-6 week window, and that I'm not allowed to start complaining until after May 18 (the end of the 6th week) ;)
Based on the data here you are close! Model 3 Invites #4 (Published web version. Loads faster but no filter views)

Attachments

• Image 2018-04-26 at 11.25.10 AM.png
    Image 2018-04-26 at 11.25.10 AM.png
    305.1 KB · Views: 56

I just really hope that whatever upgrades they made in the last shutdown start getting deliveries down closer to 3 weeks post config. For various reasons my life would be a lot easier if I could somehow get my car by week 4 or 4.5 of my window. Fingers crossed, only 1 week in.

Reactions: RenMan68
Arrrrrg...My VIN is gone. I
Uhhhhh...surprise!!!!

Just went into my Tesla account and I have a VIN (17XXX)

Ordered 4/6.

VIN gone. In other threads I noted a call from the ISA which prompted a delivery center change. With her providing inaccurate advice and me following it, I cost myself a VIN and maybe a delivery at some point in the next couple of weeks. Today she finally admitted that her change prompted the VIN reassignment to someone else. Apparently, getting the car to a different SC would have delayed delivery even longer. I am kicking myself for not ignoring/fighting her on this topic. I really hope my current car does not have any issues along the way (it might).

Arrrrrg...My VIN is gone. I

VIN gone. In other threads I noted a call from the ISA which prompted a delivery center change. With her providing inaccurate advice and me following it, I cost myself a VIN and maybe a delivery at some point in the next couple of weeks. Today she finally admitted that her change prompted the VIN reassignment to someone else. Apparently, getting the car to a different SC would have delayed delivery even longer. I am kicking myself for not ignoring/fighting her on this topic. I really hope my current car does not have any issues along the way (it might).
Fingers crossed! That you won’t have any issues.

Got my VIN this evening
Reserved - 3/31/2016 - in store afternoon
Invited - 4/6/2018
Configured - 4/6/2018
VIN - 4/24/2018
VIN - 202XX

Red, Aero, EAP - Fremont pick up

To update - got an email and phone call from the ISA on 4/25/2018. Picking up the car in Fremont on 4/28/2018. Could've chosen tomorrow, 4/27/2018 but I think it would be too tight with my financing funds. So for all of you guys near the factory, the process is really quick once you get your VIN.

Did you check with them why? Or you were really patient?

Well, I was patient. But, I did check repeatedly. For some ungodly reason, for over a month, no-one knew where my car was.

FWIW, I am a non-owner in illinois. Shipping takes a looooong friggin time when you are not near the factory. I am a bit concerned that there may have been a problem with my car and it was rejected by someone else, repaired, and sold to me. That would explain my wait time and the fact that I have such a low VIN (009302).

Oh, my configuration is white aero.

Hey, anyone in or near Highland Park il next Wednesday at 10am you can see me pick up my car.

To update - got an email and phone call from the ISA on 4/25/2018. Picking up the car in Fremont on 4/28/2018. Could've chosen tomorrow, 4/27/2018 but I think it would be too tight with my financing funds. So for all of you guys near the factory, the process is really quick once you get your VIN.

Can Oregon be considered close to the factory please. Probably a 1 day haul for any decent trucker.

Reactions: lupend88
Are VINs assignments happening around the clock? Maybe they're done in batches, in the morning, PST, not on weekends, etc.? Or maybe only during weekday business hours? I can't help but think we probably only need to check our order page at certain times instead of constantly refreshing it.

Heh, yep been collecting Oakley stuff since '93 or so. I was able to snag "xmetal" on a variety of forums and emails before the internet was cool. :D Can't wait to get the 3, been wanted a Tesla since the original roadster!
Well, to stay on topic:
3/31 - waited at Burlingame store NorCal
4/10 - invite received
4/11 - configured
4/20 - VIN asigned, delivery date scheduled 14xxx
4/24 - took delivery
20180426_165646.jpg