Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that once word got out about the stats a flood of people did the same thing. When I called they said thats all phone calls had been about the past 3 days. They mentioned a "rumor" that switching would lead to faster delivery.
I'm sure thats part of it but I think transport to the east coast is the biggest bottle neck. That combined with WA and Canadian priorities, I'm just in a bad spot. I am a bit upset but know I will have it sooner rather than later and have no choice but to wait it out of I want the car.

Reactions: dc_h and NOLA_Mike
I'm sure thats part of it but I think transport to the east coast is the biggest bottle neck. That combined with WA and Canadian priorities, I'm just in a bad spot. I am a bit upset but know I will have it sooner rather than later and have no choice but to wait it out of I want the car.
One interesting thing of note is he gave me the option to make some changes given that at this stage of the build there is still a little room for adjustment. Could be the same with you in which case you could get your VIN this week.

Just curious as to why everyone is so protective of their VIN by masking the numbers with 21xxx. It's not a SS# !!! :rolleyes: And it's visible on every car as well.

On the other hand, having the last three numbers exposed isn't particularly useful either (considering batching).

I'm not one of those privacy nuts but I prefer to give less identifiable information about myself on the internet. I have no issues with corporations tracking me online because generally they look at trends as a whole and not on an individual basis. I even leave my webcam uncovered!

However, with the ease of trolling and stalking on the internet - I'd prefer to leave less on the web that can tie back to me in the physical world.

On the other hand, having the last three numbers exposed isn't particularly useful either (considering batching).

I'm not one of those privacy nuts but I prefer to give less identifiable information about myself on the internet. I have no issues with corporations tracking me online because generally they look at trends as a whole and not on an individual basis. I even leave my webcam uncovered!

However, with the ease of trolling and stalking on the internet - I'd prefer to leave less on the web that can tie back to me in the physical world.
For me it's a matter of not wanting to find out later that having the full VIN posted on the internet was a bad idea. If someone wants my VIN they'll have to come physically to me, which is a lot harder than internet trolling. I agree with Marsnaut that it's just generally a good idea to limit info on the internet. Bad people aggregate all the "irrelevant" little pieces to create something useful to them and potentially harmful to you.

Delivery in a week's time from getting a VIN? Nice...

Yeah, when my ISA called to schedule, I was going to be happy if it was prior to Memorial Day. Turns out the car is already at the service center now. Soon we'll see whether I can stay away (it's < 5 miles from my house) until Thursday.