Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50 days from configuration to VIN
Less than 24 hours to have check in hand for Tesla
And less than 24 hours from now will pickup my car:D
VIN to delivery in less than 48 hours must be a record!

I feel like if you had to wait 50 (!) days for a VIN, it's only fair that the turn-around from VIN to delivery be super-quick.

Picked up my car earlier today. It was flawless and I’m very picky!
All my worries about low 13xxx VIN were unfounded.
It took me about 5 seconds to figures how special this car is. The steering is a dream and the power is endless. I can say that no other car has given me much a feeling that this car has for me. S and X PD cars are a lot of car but in my opinion do do not come close to this package because of size and mass. Ride quality is everything it should be nice and firm with no body roll and then there is the perfect size of the steering wheel. Freeway lane changes and hitting the holes has never been more fun! The sound system is awesome as well.
OMG it’s perfect for me (late 50’s who drives like a juvenile) :p
PS only driven 15 miles.

It appeared that I had received my VIN on the 10th of May. It was in my Tesla account for several days, then today when I checked, the VIN was gone - replaced by my reservation number again. I called Tesla - the guy on the phone said that you really don't have a VIN until you are contacted by the inside sales associate. I'm majorly bummed because it looks like all new VINs from this point are going to Canadians, then next week, to dual motor configs. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm majorly bummed because it looks like all new VINs from this point are going to Canadians, then next week, to dual motor configs.

While it sucks they pulled the VIN, they are continuing to issue VINs to RWD in the U.S. it looks like most Canadians have received their VINs already. As far as dual motors, Elon said they will start allowing configurations this coming week, however, they will not be delivering any until July so the earliest they will assign VINs is June.

I massively hope I am wrong, but so many signs point to a planned slowdown of US deliveries until start of the next quarter. I plan on calling Tesla tomorrow about it tomorrow, because if they are going to not deliver any vehicles until 1 July, and start AWD next week, I want to change my config.

Reactions: Drax
I massively hope I am wrong, but so many signs point to a planned slowdown of US deliveries until start of the next quarter. I plan on calling Tesla tomorrow about it tomorrow, because if they are going to not deliver any vehicles until 1 July, and start AWD next week, I want to change my config.
You really think they will sit on a month and a half worth of deliveries? I find that really hard to believe.
I could see if they went Canadian or even European orders instead of US to delay... but to do nothing at all.. no way. Wall street would have a field day.

Personally I'm hoping they made a short shutdown to add the dual motor / performance assembly steps to the line.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
You really think they will sit on a month and a half worth of deliveries? I find that really hard to believe.
I could see if they went Canadian or even European orders instead of US to delay... but to do nothing at all.. no way. Wall street would have a field day.

Personally I'm hoping they made a short shutdown to add the dual motor / performance assembly steps to the line.
I think that sums it up pretty well. Tesla has taken a lot of flak for the cash burn rate this past quarter. No way they are going to slow down just to game the quarterly sales numbers.

Stop the line for AWD, now that is to be expected and reasonable.

Very little VINs recently. I wonder that we are in the second planned shutdown.
It does seem like VIN output has drastically decreased...

Usually VIN assignments slows down during the weekend, sometimes even Monday is slow. If the assignment pace is still slow on Tue then shutdown is a possibility. Tesla said the shutdown would be around late May

Tesla Model 3 production aims for 6,000 units per week in June after upgrade in May – ~5,000 with margin of error, says Elon Musk

"Another set of upgrades starting in late May should be enough to unlock production capacity of 6000 Model 3 vehicles per week by the end of June."

Reactions: xianking

I don't think they shut down, I just think they are fulfilling Canada orders now as a priority to try and get under the 200,000 mark and extend the tax benefits. Also, if this delay is due to them ramping up the AWD and performance line, I hope they let all of us who configured but don't have a VIN change our setup.

Reactions: Asad1087
So after reading about NoTDI's recinded VIN experience, and now that I have the same issue, I wonder how common this is. I wonder if my VIN was taken back because some other person complained more loudly about their delay and was given it just to placate him/her. Tesla may have thought that I didn't even know that I had been issued a VIN so would not miss it when they took it back. Tesla has been selling cars long enough that they shouldn't be having these sort of issues.

Last edited:
I'm 30 days post-config and no VIN. With all this talk of Canadian deliveries, AWD, and plant shutdown I'm getting the feeling that instead of making their 42-day window (6 weeks) for me I should be thinking more like 60-80 days. Am I being pessimistic?
I’m in the same boat. I’ve decided it’s not worth worrying about anymore.
I am curios if they will let us switch to dual motor if it becomes available before a VIN is assigned.
We’ll probably get VINs right before dual motor becomes available. Which would be ok actually.
Keeping fingers crossed this week.

Reactions: RenMan68
While it sucks they pulled the VIN, they are continuing to issue VINs to RWD in the U.S. it looks like most Canadians have received their VINs already. .

Not quite. Just those with Aero wheels in Ontario - some have received VINs.. All orders with 19 inch sport wheels don't have VINs in Canada. Not a single one. I'm sitting on Day 49 without.