Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bounced emails back and forth with the ISA. Everything is good to go, she will contact me again once she has a delivery date.

I don't care at this point but the VIN being 196XX is kind of odd. I wonder if these are reworks. Not as in denied delivery, but ones that came off the line and had problems that needed to be addressed, and are now ready.

Reactions: emorog
Reserved on 4/1/2016 7:28 PM
Invited on 4/18/2018 9:07 AM
VIN on 5/10/2018 (225xx)
Delivery scheduled for 6/05/2018 at Manhasset, NY

Just got the call today. So excited!
Has anyone taken delivery at Manhasset? I didn't know they did deliveries at showrooms.
Yeah. They had the car parked outside the store. That was kind of annoying bc people kept asking the staff to sit in it. They obviously had to tell people it's someone's car and it's not ok display etc... That stopped pretty quick though as soon as people saw is around the car. They were really nice and put up with our cranky sick kid. If you have any questions I'd be happy to share

Just bounced emails back and forth with the ISA. Everything is good to go, she will contact me again once she has a delivery date.

I don't care at this point but the VIN being 196XX is kind of odd. I wonder if these are reworks. Not as in denied delivery, but ones that came off the line and had problems that needed to be addressed, and are now ready.
I got an email from my ISA asking to confirm my registration info and I replied asking what the build date is for my VIN (193xx) and whether it was a reject rework etc. Let’s see what they say but I don’t care at this point either unless they do say it was a delivery reject in which case hopefully not flawed...

Does anybody know what the VIN assignment means in terms of the actual state of the car? That is, does a VIN mean that the frame has been built and a VIN plate attached to it so that it's a matter of the rest of the car being made and delivered for you to get it? Just curious if a VIN means that something physical exists that is "yours" as opposed to merely another entry in a spreadsheet at Tesla HQ.

Does anybody know what the VIN assignment means in terms of the actual state of the car? That is, does a VIN mean that the frame has been built and a VIN plate attached to it so that it's a matter of the rest of the car being made and delivered for you to get it? Just curious if a VIN means that something physical exists that is "yours" as opposed to merely another entry in a spreadsheet at Tesla HQ.
I've heard everything from someone getting a VIN and a call within minutes and delivery in a few days to people getting VINs and not hearing anything for 10 days and then waiting another 3 weeks for delivery to people getting VINs, having them in their account for 3 days, and then the VIN disappearing.

So, basically, no.

• Informative
Reactions: RenMan68 and IdaX
I just received a VIN this morning as well (configured 4/13) that is 188xx, even lower than yours @GigiM3. Should I be concerned? I was hopeful that there wouldn't be any of the build issues as they've reportedly fixed all those, but that was after my VIN was created and likely built.

forgot to mention my build configuration: midnight silver, aero wheels, EAP

Same boat as you. I will be asking for a build date when they call. Having said that, there seem to be several VINs last week within this range. Seems likely that this is just one of the oddities associated with the VIN batching.

MSM/aero 4/15 config. VIN 189XX

If you have any question about your VIN, just email your ISA. Mine have been very responsive. This is from the email I got from him today regarding my Texas Silver 19" with VIN 15365:

Is the car built or is it being built?
· Your Model 3 has just been built, and is being transported to a holding lot close to our Fremont factory
Why the out of sequence VIN?
· The non-sequential VINs on the Model 3 help Tesla to prevent articles and speculation on the tax credit expiration. I can confirm this is a brand new 2018 Model 3, and it qualifies for the full tax benefits at this time.

CJ

Just checking back in on this thread after a hiatus and noticed discussion on the last page that seems to suggest a fear of VINs prior to 20k. Are most of them aesthetic disasters? I only have the panel misalignment on mine (and chipped paint) at nearly 15k to go by, but I thought I was a minority case.

Just checking back in on this thread after a hiatus and noticed discussion on the last page that seems to suggest a fear of VINs prior to 20k. Are most of them aesthetic disasters? I only have the panel misalignment on mine (and chipped paint) at nearly 15k to go by, but I thought I was a minority case.

We’re just part of a GEICO commercial: “If you’re on Tesla Motors Club, you obsess over meaningless minutia to pass the time waiting for your Tesla. It’s what you do.” :)

If you have any question about your VIN, just email your ISA. Mine have been very responsive. This is from the email I got from him today regarding my Texas Silver 19" with VIN 15365:

Is the car built or is it being built?
· Your Model 3 has just been built, and is being transported to a holding lot close to our Fremont factory
Why the out of sequence VIN?
· The non-sequential VINs on the Model 3 help Tesla to prevent articles and speculation on the tax credit expiration. I can confirm this is a brand new 2018 Model 3, and it qualifies for the full tax benefits at this time.

CJ
Did you reach out proactively (if so, how and who did you call/email) or did the ISA send an email or call you? I have yet to be contacted about receiving a VIN yesterday and wasn’t sure if it made sense to call or email someone, or just wait.

I got an email from my ISA asking to confirm my registration info and I replied asking what the build date is for my VIN (193xx) and whether it was a reject rework etc. Let’s see what they say but I don’t care at this point either unless they do say it was a delivery reject in which case hopefully not flawed...
Ok my ISA informed me that the VINS are intentionally assigned out of sequence to “prevent VIN swapping and racketeering”, and that my car was built this month. A pdf of the window sticker verified this. So relieved!