Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm.......
Needed VIN for financing and insurance. This time and 5 years ago.

However, a previous purchase, in a different state, I told insurance I was looking to purchase a car. They told me to contact them within a week after I take delivery with details.

So, who knows.

Probably varies by state - not necessary here in California. Good luck with yours - hope it works out without too much stress.

What did I take this morning to make me so mellow about all of this? I have no idea why but I seem to be in a state of Zen over this whole thing today.

In a typical buying experience the car is probably already on the lot.

Very true - I was just trying to say that VINs are not needed until the actual delivery. Typically we don't shell out $$$$ ahead of time that becomes non-refundable either. The Tesla way is very different. I do feel for everyone out there that is being stressed out by this process and Tesla's poor communications during it. For some reason, I have gone into a state where I am not worried about it for me.

I've been keeping a close eye on this page, to see how many VIN assignments are going out each day. It looks like on the 15th and 16th they distributed a ton of VINs pretty exclusively to Canada, and then took a break the last couple days, assigning just a couple (Canada again). Is it possible the VIN assignment halt is due to the upcoming shutdown? If so would it be safe to guess there will be no more VIN assignments for the next four-or-so days? (Shutdown being six days and we already have two empty days)
I've been keeping a close eye on this page, to see how many VIN assignments are going out each day. It looks like on the 15th and 16th they distributed a ton of VINs pretty exclusively to Canada, and then took a break the last couple days, assigning just a couple (Canada again). Is it possible the VIN assignment halt is due to the upcoming shutdown? If so would it be safe to guess there will be no more VIN assignments for the next four-or-so days? (Shutdown being six days and we already have two empty days)

If you are trying to add/modify your info to the database that feeds the website, try this link:

Model 3 Invites
I think there are now 2 seperate "model 3 " pages. A cjoin? one and a troy one; I think the troy one, is more interesting. And I think the quoted link is putting data entries in the cjoin? one, while the following, Model 3 Invites #1 (Troy: There are a few identical files to avoid overcrowding) , puts data entries in the troy page, a url that can also be found via the links tab on the publicized web version of troys webpage, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TxGp6xUL5j8DqkMPY0K9TfOCDz83A_7HGcQCl/pubhtml .

Reactions: 9erDog
W00t! Got my VIN today!

Line waiter In VA
Invite 4/10
Config 4/10 (MSM Aero)
VIN Assigned 5/11 (188xx)

Congrats! I’m in VA too, 4/10 invite, 4/12 config, MSM Sport, still no VIN. Called SO yesterday since I’m entering week 6 of the 3-6 week window, no update other than it is typically 10-15 days for delivery after VIN assigned. Elon time...

@seppler - I had a VIN for a week or two but it disappeared yesterday, and I do not have the edit design button.

I’m assuming that it just means I’ve been assigned one of a handful of cars and I can’t make changes without contacting my ISA. I also imagine my VIN will return once a delivery date is set.

... I could be 100% wrong too! Who the heck knows.

@seppler - I had a VIN for a week or two but it disappeared yesterday, and I do not have the edit design button.

I’m assuming that it just means I’ve been assigned one of a handful of cars and I can’t make changes without contacting my ISA. I also imagine my VIN will return once a delivery date is set.

... I could be 100% wrong too! Who the heck knows.

I was hoping this is the case. I’m using a Python script someone else wrote to monitor for a VIN, and maybe now I can just monitor for the link presence.

Here is the script (unmodifed): KpaBap/TeslaScrub

Hmm, haven’t received a VIN yet, but my “Edit Design” button is now gone. Impending news?

I was thinking about that yesterday. I am waiting for my VIN as well but never got the edit button as all my tasks were completed but knew other people had the option to edit until a VIN was assigned. Now that Tesla is maliciously hiding the VINs, I wasn’t sure what would happen with the Edit Design option - I was worried that they could have assigned a VIN but then you edited the config and Telsa pulls the VIN.

Let us know if you get good news.