Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're on the east coast and feeling down because of the the delayed until July email, know that it may not be very accurate. I also received it yesterday but then today I was contacted by email with a VIN and indicated mid-June delivery. I'm in NYC.

Ordered: 3/31/16 online
Invited: 4/14/18
Configured: 4/28/18 (Blue 18" Aero, EAP, PUP)
VIN: 5/21/18 (226xx)

I have been meaning to ask about the "edit" button. I never had one after I paid my $2,500, which was as fast as I could type.
I appeared in my account (near "For immediate assistance, please contact") a couple weeks ago when other were starting to see it in their account. It disappeared in my account on Saturday. This all happened 6 or weeks after configuration(3/28) and $2,500 payment.

• Funny
Reactions: BlueStu
I appeared in my account (near "For immediate assistance, please contact") a couple weeks ago when other were starting to see it in their account. It disappeared in my account on Saturday. This all happened 6 or weeks after configuration(3/28) and $2,500 payment.
Thanks for the detail now I know I was not just missing it, I have never had an edit button.

I did call Tesla last week and ask if I added EAP would that speed it up and he said no, slow it down. Strange marketing for a company burning money, I could have paid for a second of burn time.

Reactions: Asad1087
If you're on the east coast and feeling down because of the the delayed until July email, know that it may not be very accurate. I also received it yesterday but then today I was contacted by email with a VIN and indicated mid-June delivery. I'm in NYC.

Same day I configure. No Vin # yet.
Not sure if I am in June or July ETA delievery

leocar said:

I reserved 3/31/16 on line, was invited on the 4/13, configured on the 4/14 (2 weeks before leocar), same exact car (blue, aero,PUP), given a VIN (22658) on 5/10, VIN taken away on 5/13. Tried the Tesla shop thing to see if I really still had a VIN (I don't). And I'm in New York as well, probably picking up at the same SC (Mt. Kisco). So how the hell was leocar given precedence over me? My letter said I was pushed into July. Their selection of reservation holders who gets cars seems designed to frustrate. I sold my LEAF when I got my VIN (it sold a lot quicker than I anticipated), so I am short a car now.
My profile has been completed, no trade-in, cash buyer. I can't conceive of any logical scenario where he should receive a car before me. (Nothing personal against leocar here - good on him for getting a car in June. I wonder if his VIN is 22658).

Rant Over - I feel better now.

Last edited:
7 weeks after configuring, the "Edit" button disappeared from my "Manage" page. Within an hour I was able to use the HPWC trick to see my VIN. A few hours later I received an email from my ISA. The email included my full VIN, which matched the numbers visible during checkout from the store. They are estimating mid to late June delivery for NYC, but according to the email my date is dependent on how quickly I am able to provide final insurance info.

No VIN assignment yet. even thru the store trick. 4/18 Invite, 4/20 config. Delivery profile is complete. I had called Tesla on Friday and over the phone they told me vehicle is in production, but no VIN yet. ISA was assigned though. He even gave me the name and to expect a call from 510 area code. On Sunday, I did receive the wide email with June ETA. No communication with ISA yet.

I am assuming all this is good sign. I am hoping VIN should be getting assigned soon.
Did anyone else have experience with ISA assigned and No VIN. Does that mean much?

How can you complete your delivery profile without a VIN? My insurance was asking for a VIN
I think the line about completing the delivery profile is BS. Everybody got the same email, whether every bullet is green, or someone is arranging their own financing, etc. Something to throw us off and make us think it's our fault. Frankly, that line pissed me off most of all.

Incidentally, nothing on Tesla's website refers explicitly to "delivery profile". Not only do we have to feel bad about not completing all info, we must also feel like dunces for not being 100% certain what "delivery profile" is. We are 95% sure it's the page with URL that starts with www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/profile?rn= that opens when we click "Manage", but hey, thanks for keeping us on our toes and off balance, Tesla.

leocar said:

I reserved 3/31/16 on line, was invited on the 4/13, configured on the 4/14 (2 weeks before leocar), same exact car (blue, aero,PUP), given a VIN (22658) on 5/10, VIN taken away on 5/13. Tried the Tesla shop thing to see if I really still had a VIN (I don't). And I'm in New York as well, probably picking up at the same SC (Mt. Kisco). So how the hell was leocar given precedence over me? My letter said I was pushed into July. Their selection of reservation holders who gets cars seems designed to frustrate. I sold my LEAF when I got my VIN (it sold a lot quicker than I anticipated), so I am short a car now.
My profile has been completed, no trade-in, cash buyer. I can't conceive of any logical scenario where he should receive a car before me. (Nothing personal against leocar here - good on him for getting a car in June. I wonder if his VIN is 22658).

Rant Over - I feel better now.
Sounds similar to my situation, except I was invited/configured on 4/10. Got VIN on 5/14, lost it on 5/15 for White/Aero. Still waiting for a new VIN.

I knew I should have configured on 4/18 instead of waiting a couple days! I got the configure e-mail 4/18 and was nervous to pull the trigger right away. Not sure why I mean I had 2 years to really think about it :)

Two days before I got it (4/18) I went through everything in my head so I could pull the trigger when I got it. I randomly checked mid-day at work and had it ordered in minutes, only delay was to go brag to a co-worker.