Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news for me (yay me!) and perhaps others who like me got one of those no delivery until June updates on Sunday. Today I had my first contact from my Sales Advisor and she informed me that my car will be delivered within the next 2 weeks. No VIN yet but she asked me to confirm all the registration information in my account and that I was OK with taking delivery of the car in that time frame and that I did not want to delay delivery.

For reference: I configured on 4/18, solid black with sport wheels.
Also, l will be taking delivery at the Fremont plant delivery center which is 30 minutes from where I live. So my delivery schedule may be quite a bit sooner than for those of you with a similar configuration date but whose car will need to be transported a long distance.

Last edited:
Anyone know why VIN registrations have slowed down?

What is going on?
VIN registration looks pretty linear to me:

upload_2018-5-22_16-17-28.png

Reactions: Arpe
Good news for me (yay me!) and perhaps others who like me got one of those no delivery until June updates on Sunday. Today I had my first contact from my Sales Advisor and she informed me that my car will be delivered within the next 2 weeks. No VIN yet but she asked me to confirm all the registration information in my account and that I was OK with taking delivery of the car in that time frame and that I did not want to delay delivery.

For reference: I configured on 4/18, solid black with sport wheels.
Also, l will be taking delivery at the Fremont plant delivery center which is 30 minutes from where I live. So my delivery schedule may be quite a bit sooner than for those of you with a similar configuration date but whose car will need to be transported a long distance.
Just curious wha was the name of the advisor you are working with?

You can use current vehicle insurance. My ISA said that’s fine for the website & even to take delivery. They don’t need proof you got insurance for the 3
Funny, total opposite of what my ISA said! Cut and pasted from her email:

· We will need to see that the Model 3 has been added to your insurance before you take delivery.
  • The effective date needs to be eligible for the time of delivery.
    • For example, if you take delivery on May 5th your insurance should be active starting May 5th or earlier.

• Helpful
Reactions: swaltner
We are talking two different things here. The copy of existing insurance of any car is to be able to finish the insurance section of the delivery profile. That should be done when you’ve been notified the car is in transit.

By the time you have the purchase agreement which is 3-5 days before actual pickup (this includes the VIN). Then you call your insurance and add the Model 3 to start at the day of pickup.

· We will need to see that the Model 3 has been added to your insurance before you take delivery.
    • For example, if you take delivery on May 5th your insurance should be active starting May 5th or earlier.
talk

Reactions: Waiting4M3
Well I specifically asked if the current proof of insurance for my Mazda was ok to bring in for my delivery and he definitely said yes. I was going to call my insurance provider to add the model 3 the day of my delivery anyway, and can probably get instant proof online. But it’s funny to be getting conflicting answers from ISA’s.

Talked to my insurance person today, and he said that my current coverage would apply to any new car purchases. I have to call them within 10d of taking ownership though.

I think this is the main point. I know the time frames are different depending on your insurance, but I’m pretty sure almost all companies have this policy. Your current coverage counts to a new purchase for “X” amount of days. I’ve heard some are 3, some are 7, etc.

Different States have different regulations. I know in California, you can use the existing policy for a new car, other states differ. However, as they give you the VIN before delivery, there is no reason why you can't have the policy set up prior to delivery.

Different States have different regulations. I know in California, you can use the existing policy for a new car, other states differ. However, as they give you the VIN before delivery, there is no reason why you can't have the policy set up prior to delivery.

I called my insurance company (NJM) and they agreed that I could pick up the car with my existing policy and to call them within a couple days of delivery, but Tesla won’t even confirm my delivery appointment without actually seeing the 3 on my policy. I will be adding it to the policy this morning since NJM doesn’t add the car more than a week in advance of delivery. Delivery on 5/30.

Should I be worried? My VIN just disappeared overnight and was replaced by my reservation number... My delivery profile is complete but I dont have a delivery date yet.
Try going in and putting the wall charger in your cart and act like you are going to purchase it, you will get to a screen before you enter payment information and it will have a drop down that has your VIN if it is still there.