Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

First post but have been reading and watching this site for years. Thank you so much for all the great info.

I was a first day (early evening 3/31/16) online reservation non-owner with a MA address at the time. We had a long scheduled trip/vaca out to Nevada and California this past Jan. that happened to coincide with seeing the first 2 Model 3's in showrooms in the country both up in northern CA Palo Alto AND Southern CA in Century City a week later. I was super sold at that point after touching and hanging around the cars for hours in each showroom. We even stopped by Fremont and snooped around out back to view the finished cars in storage as well...haha

So my original timeline was January to March 2018. Of course I received the email on 11/1/17 like so many others and got bumped to February to April and then one more bump email to put my timeline out until July on the late end....ugh NOTE: I changed my address to GA in February as we moved. Flash forward to April 18, 2018, 4:14 PM EST and BOOM I receive the configuration email. I sat on that for 2 days and built a $56K configuration in the Midnight Silver Metallic at April 20, 2018, 12:31 PM EST. So FINALLY on May 18, 2018, 4:51PM EST Randy R. emailed me as my point of contact to confirm my online profile (cash / no trade) and he mentioned he has a VIN for me :)

Obviously I emailed him right back in about 13 seconds and then again about 8 hours later just saying "Randy ???" He replied to me with an attachment that had my VIN the next day May 19, 2018, 3:20 PM EST

VIN = 164xx (WOW - that seems super low?)

Thoughts??

I tried to extract more info out of him. He mentioned it was coming across the country by train. I couldn't get the railcar number out of him or any other details other than he was guesstimating first week of June for delivery in Jacksonville. I grill them on that being a Georgia registration and he assured me three times that it would be a Florida delivery. My account doesn't show anything related to my vehicle nor can I use the app yet. I tried the trick in the shopping cart and the same VIN number appeared. Now I'm concerned about my seats assuming I'm going to have the Generation 1 seats with such a low number. I'm hoping to get the good news this week and delivery no later than next Friday June 8th....hopefully.

Happy Memorial Day,

Timmy T.

P.S. The $50 aero wheel cap kit was ordered online and shipped within 2 days and received in less than a week even though it said 8 weeks for delivery when I ordered them. I just bought them 10 days ago....

Anxious and only slightly annoyed. Also waiting on Tesla to install HPWC... Going on 6 weeks and no scheduled install date.

Reserved April 2016
Configured April 13, 2018
VIN 260xx May 10, 2018
Delivery May 26th - DELAYED
Delivery May 28th - DELAYED
Delivery TBD
Blue, Aero, RWD, LR, PUP

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I am shocked that ISA's are working today on a major holiday! Received an email this afternoon that my car is ready to schedule delivery! The ISA listed several dates which is a couple of days after I return from vacation! So far the process has been smooth as glass.
Reserved March 31 2016
Configured April 18 2018
VIN 268xx May 21 2018
Delivery June 9 2018
Red, Aero, RWD, LR, PUP

I received an email from the ISA that my car is expected to be delivered on June 2nd. However, my VIN still doesn't show up my ee aTesla order screen, and can only see the VIN by doing the VIN trick. If my ISA knows my delivery date, shouldn't my VIN number be visible instead of the reservation number?

Reserved: 3/31/2016
Configuration Avail: 4/10/2018
Ordered: 4/20/2018
Red,Aero,RWD,LR,EAP
SoCal

I was also surprised to get an e-mail from Tesla today (Memorial Day) with a delivery date of June 12th. I was one who got the 'push back to July' delay email, so I was not expecting delivery this early.

Reserved: 3/31/2016 online
Invite to Configure: 4/13/2108
Ordered: 4/14/2108
Scheduled Delivery: 6/12/2018
Blue, aero, LR, PUP, No EAP
Upstate NY

Incidentally, since I got back from winter in San Diego on April 8th, I have yet to see a Model 3 in the wild here in western NY. I saw a scattering of them in California in Feb/Mar.

Curious??? Does anybody have anything to add or say about me getting a super low 164xx VIN on May 19th? Delivery estimate June 9th to Jacksonville (GA registration). I'm just 30 minutes north of the delivery center. Configured on April 20th. Day 1 online reservation, non-owner. Thanks

Curious??? Does anybody have anything to add or say about me getting a super low 164xx VIN on May 19th? Delivery estimate June 9th to Jacksonville (GA registration). I'm just 30 minutes north of the delivery center. Configured on April 20th. Day 1 online reservation, non-owner. Thanks

I wouldn't sweat it. There's been people with similar VINs who still got the new seats. I have my fingers crossed for my delivery coming up.

• Informative
Reactions: davedavedave
The later the VIN the better, as they seem to be fixing all the little robotic bugs. Im waiting for VIN 100K. I know it will be a while.
Well, you mean the later the build, the better. VIN is at best a proxy for build date -- Tesla intentionally does not produce Model 3 sequentially to provide some secrecy as to how many cars they've actually built at any given time...

Anxious and only slightly annoyed. Also waiting on Tesla to install HPWC... Going on 6 weeks and no scheduled install date.

Reserved April 2016
Configured April 13, 2018
VIN 260xx May 10, 2018
Delivery May 26th - DELAYED
Delivery May 28th - DELAYED
Delivery TBD
Blue, Aero, RWD, LR, PUP

I reserved online over an hour before reveal, configured immediately upon invite, and still have no VIN.

I was also surprised to get an e-mail from Tesla today (Memorial Day) with a delivery date of June 12th. I was one who got the 'push back to July' delay email, so I was not expecting delivery this early.

Reserved: 3/31/2016 online
Invite to Configure: 4/13/2108
Ordered: 4/14/2108
Scheduled Delivery: 6/12/2018
Blue, aero, LR, PUP, No EAP
Upstate NY

Incidentally, since I got back from winter in San Diego on April 8th, I have yet to see a Model 3 in the wild here in western NY. I saw a scattering of them in California in Feb/Mar.

I, too, was pleasantly surprised to be emailed yesterday. They moved my delivery up a week to June 16th (was offered the 13th, but want a weekend delivery to avoid taking off of work). I've heard of 3 others or so in the area, so we should start to see them up here more often.

I did have a mini heart attack though because they accidentally put my delivery location down as in PA instead of Mt. Kisco when they changed the date, but got it all sorted out a few hours after that with a promise that my car is going to the correct location :-D.

I spoke with my ISA today. My delivery is scheduled for June 2 at Costa Mesa. No VIN on my reservation page yet. What gives???

She asked if I wanted to take delivery at home. Said it was a test program that I was eligible for. I declined, as I wanted to be sure that I could decline delivery if there are issues.

I spoke with my ISA today. My delivery is scheduled for June 2 at Costa Mesa. No VIN on my reservation page yet. What gives???

She asked if I wanted to take delivery at home. Said it was a test program that I was eligible for. I declined, as I wanted to be sure that I could decline delivery if there are issues.

It takes awhile for your VIN to appear on your account page. I think I just saw mine there for the first time today. Granted I have been checking that page less often since I had my delivery appointment made

Maybe I'll see you at the delivery center since mine is on the 2nd as well!

It takes awhile for your VIN to appear on your account page. I think I just saw mine there for the first time today. Granted I have been checking that page less often since I had my delivery appointment made

I got my MVPA, and it has the full VIN listed. 269xx.

Maybe I'll see you at the delivery center since mine is on the 2nd as well!

Nice! I'll be there at around 4pm picking up a Red.