Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same one and only person in Vegas that I've been corresponding with (Randy) called to schedule my delivery today. Next Friday June 8th in Jacksonville. There were 3 time slots available and obviously I took the first one which was late morning. Oh please Lord let my car be tight and with the Generation 2 seats......

Reactions: Asad1087
What’s so special about gen 2 seats?
Well the Gen 2 seats seems to tackle a problem with the Gen 1 version from all I've read. Certainly an improvement and not just a new vendor thing. Back seat comfort (higher) and front seat look/durability. I saw where someone with 164xx took delivery and has the newer seats so I'm feeling good about it. My MSM Aero EAP VIN is 164xx as well and I get mine in 1 week Fri. June 8th. Invite 4/18 and configured on 4/20. First saw my VIN on 5/19 along with the Pro-Forma MVPA that after a first intro email from Randy in Vegas on 5/18

We configured over 2 weeks ago, with a 3-6 week delivery timeframe showing. (we are existing owners and sat on our invite for months)

2 weeks later. Nothing. No email from anyone except the initial "receipt" of our additional deposit. No VIN. No ETA.

My S experience had far more updates from the get go....

Overall I've been pretty happy with the process so far. (knocks on wood)

You must be easy to make happy because I don't think the processes Tesla has used for managing the Model 3 orders and their customer relationship/communication have been good at all. I think the large backlog of orders has made them arrogant and allowed them to ignore any issues in those processes.

You must be easy to make happy because I don't think the processes Tesla has used for managing the Model 3 orders and their customer relationship/communication have been good at all. I think the large backlog of orders has made them arrogant and allowed them to ignore any issues in those processes.

I really don't think they are arrogant at all, I think they were very very unpreparred for the whole launch. Which if anything this just shows their major lack of experience. You don't know what you don't know.

Reactions: Asad1087
I really don't think they are arrogant at all, I think they were very very unpreparred for the whole launch. Which if anything this just shows their major lack of experience. You don't know what you don't know.

They have had 2 years to get their processes/communication up to the standards expected from a world class company. They are simply satisfied with having startup level expectations for those aspects of their business.

Edit button has disappeared for me but no VIN yet using the HPWC trick yet? How long does it typically take for the VIN to show up?

I never had the infamous edit button on my order but in general it seems typically to take 3-4 weeks after configuration for a VIN to be assigned. In my case it showed up at 31 days and came the day after I was first contacted by my sales advisor.

Last edited:
They have had 2 years to get their processes/communication up to the standards expected from a world class company. They are simply satisfied with having startup level expectations for those aspects of their business.
I suspect it's a staffing issue. They have to hire and train new sales staff to handle the increased volume. I'm guessing they're still hiring more as the volume continues to increase.

A few things are also changing quickly month to month. Production rate is going up significantly each month. Quality is also improving, which changes the amount of time spent in QA/rework, and changing the expected TAT from config to build to delivery.

Delivery location focus is also changing dramatically on monthly basis, end of Q1 push focused 1st on the east coast then switching to California the last week of March, then switching to Washington state in May for tax reasons, and now Canada.

It's hard to fix on a best practice when so many things are changing so quickly. Once they reach a stable 5k/wk production level and stable sales volumes at different regions, they will be able to improve things.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
With the new VIN process I have heard that some people saw their VINS via the HPWC trick in less than 24 hours after the edit button disappears.

I am still waiting for my edit button to disappear or to see a VIN ;)

Hang in there... I was so excited to see the edit button disappear.... one more step in the right direction....

The following just happened:
ME: My Edit button just disappeared, YES!!!
WIFE: "Edit button"??? What are you talking about?
ME: That means we are one step closer to getting our model 3?
WIFE Please explain, this makes no sense. You are obsessed.
ME: Never mind. I don't want to get into details - I can live with me being called "obsessed". If I tell you about the HPWC trick I am not sure what you will think about me :)

Well, Happy Friday! Just got VIN'd within the last 3 hours since I last checked earlier this evening. Noticed "Edit" button disappeared on my account page, then went to HPWC trick which had nothing until now, but it finally appeared!

Reserved: 3/31/16 (online)
Invited: 4/13/18
Configured: 4/19/18
Dreaded "July" delay email: 5/20/18
VIN 239XX (HPWC); 6/1/18
ISA contact: TBD
Delivery: TBD
MSM, Sport, RWD, LR, PUP, EAP