Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! How did you get the date - did your ISA contacted with all these details already given that you also just got the VIN?

No, but if you have everything ready to go they'll set it up for you.

The VIN was part of the email. They need preaproval letter, proof of insurance, and how you plan on registering your car (if you are switching plates, like I am from my old car to the new) as well as confirming a few things. I already had my preapproval letter, sent that in. Sent the VIN to my insurance company who already knew I will be getting the car, and they put on my VIN on the temp proof card, sent it to me and I sent that along, and then scanned in my current car registration to Tesla for the registration plate switch. Had it all basically done over my lunch time. She was very impressed, told me basically the entire week of the 9th was open for my choosing, ans since I will be in the field all July for work, but can take a weekend off if needed, I choose the weekend date, and time.

No, but if you have everything ready to go they'll set it up for you.

The VIN was part of the email. They need preaproval letter, proof of insurance, and how you plan on registering your car (if you are switching plates, like I am from my old car to the new) as well as confirming a few things. I already had my preapproval letter, sent that in. Sent the VIN to my insurance company who already knew I will be getting the car, and they put on my VIN on the temp proof card, sent it to me and I sent that along, and then scanned in my current car registration to Tesla for the registration plate switch. Had it all basically done over my lunch time. She was very impressed, told me basically the entire week of the 9th was open for my choosing, ans since I will be in the field all July for work, but can take a weekend off if needed, I choose the weekend date, and time.

Congrats...looks like the theory about getting a VIN a week before delivery is going out the window now. Tesla is preparing for July already its gonna be fun to finally have April configs get their cars.

I noticed late last night (or early this morning) that my "edit design" is missing. Good news right?
Ordered online 3/31/16
Ready to Configure email 4/13/18
Configured 4/25/18 (afraid to pull the trigger)
"Edit Design" disappears 6/15/18

I have a question, does the 'add your wall connector to see your VIN' trick not work anymore. Mine says "gift or VIN not configured yet"

Reactions: RunPDX80
I noticed late last night (or early this morning) that my "edit design" is missing. Good news right?
Ordered online 3/31/16
Ready to Configure email 4/13/18
Configured 4/25/18 (afraid to pull the trigger)
"Edit Design" disappears 6/15/18

I have a question, does the 'add your wall connector to see your VIN' trick not work anymore. Mine says "gift or VIN not configured yet"
The VIN trick is no longer working. It appears the Edit Design button going away is the only heads up you get or ISA calls / emails you soon.

Sort of related, and it might just be that being in KC the demand isn't as high as in places like Cali, but I had everything filled up on myTesla as soon as I could. I think that helps in them getting to you sooner, since you got it all done.

I did receive a call from a private number on Wednesday but I couldn't take it as I was in the middle of a conference call, I am pretty sure it was the ISA, seeing how it was yesterday I received the email. If you got all your documentation together, I think it goes a long way in getting you VINs, and definitely your delivery time/date scheduled.

Also, I reserved 6/1, so 6/14 getting the VIN is a pretty quick turnaround it seems

Congrats...looks like the theory about getting a VIN a week before delivery is going out the window now. Tesla is preparing for July already its gonna be fun to finally have April configs get their cars.

The theory wasn't that you were assigned a VIN 7 days before delivery, because you are normally assigned a VIN well before then. What happened was simply that Tesla would not post your VIN in your account until 7 days before delivery. My VIN was assigned on May 13, and was subsequenty just posted to my account on June 12 with a June 19 delivery date.

Edit button disappeared today. Freaking finally. Hopefully will get a call soon

Houston TX line waiter
4/6 Invite
4/24 Config
MSM 17"

I am excited, but not nearly as excited as I would have been had it taken the originally quoted 3-6 weeks.

Reactions: NIGHTHAWK017
Not sure how it works in other states, but in Texas they can't ship the car from CA until it's paid for. The purchase agreement had the VIN on it. Now I'm waiting for the credit union to send them the money and then it's supposed to be another "14-days" for shipping.

40k VIN.JPG

Not sure how it works in other states, but in Texas they can't ship the car from CA until it's paid for. The purchase agreement had the VIN on it. Now I'm waiting for the credit union to send them the money and then it's supposed to be another "14-days" for shipping.

I'm in Austin too. Configured 4/19, but at 2 a.m., so only a few hours past 4/18. Come on Tesla, the truck is already heading this way!

Waiting sucks...

View attachment 310054

Thanks for the heads up. I see you are in Texas as well, i do seem to remember hearing something like that. Did you happen to know how long your edit button was missing before ISA contact? It seems to vary by state a bit.
I have the cash ready but I am not sure if I will do that or finance... Already liquidated some investments thinking i would have to pay sometime last month and missed out on some return. Might as well do more I guess...

My edit button disappeared on 6/13 around noon, and by 6pm that day I got an email from an ISA (not from Austin, based in Las Vegas I think). In any case, he asked to confirm the financing so I sent him the approval letter from the lender. By the next day he emailed me the purchase agreement ready for signatures, and now I wait for my delivery day. I wonder if the 40k VIN means it's not even built yet! :-(

Reactions: dm 72468
Went to the columbus tesla store. They have 51xxx

Edit: pearl white. Def mismatch bumper
If you zoom in on the VIN on the windshield it looks more like 5YJ3E1EA3JF015696. The check digit at position 9 definitely looks like a 3. The check digit for VIN 5YJ3E1EA7JF051696 has 7 as a check digit. I think they just made a typo and switched the two first digits.

Last edited:
My edit button disappeared on 6/13 around noon, and by 6pm that day I got an email from an ISA (not from Austin, based in Las Vegas I think). In any case, he asked to confirm the financing so I sent him the approval letter from the lender. By the next day he emailed me the purchase agreement ready for signatures, and now I wait for my delivery day. I wonder if the 40k VIN means it's not even built yet! :-(
All Model 3 stuff comes from Vegas. Your local owner advisors are not in the loop at all.