Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the email and the call today. It's definitely been a journey. Here is hoping that the delivery goes smoothly.

Ordered 3/31, Invited 4/18, Config 4/19 as Silver, Changed to Blue 5/6
Call from ISA 6/22, VIN 383xx 6/22
Delivery: scheduled for 6/25
Pick up at Costa Mesa

816 days
Or 2 years, 2 months, 25 days excluding the end date
Calculate Duration Between Two Dates – Results

Last edited:
Ordered 3/31/16
Invite:4/10
Configured 4/23 Deep Blue Metallic, LR, PUP, RWD, 19” sports wheels, no EAP, Bay Area
5/20 email: car ready in June
No VINso far
No contacts nor new emails
Edit Button still there
1 more week to go In June

Expect either an email or contact next week or another delay to July.
I feel like they are hating on us Bay Area folks.

Reactions: MissyMcBee
Non-owner reserved online 03/31/16
Invited 04/18/18
Configured 04/23/18 MSM Aero
July delay email
Edit button disappeared - ???
Contacted 6/22 (no VIN)
VIN 274xx after call to ISA
Dlivery 7/2 in Costa Mesa, CA

VIN 274xx

Why is my VIN so low
You think yours is low!

I don't like this one bit.

Has anyone ever cited a too-low VIN to an ISA and got a different car assigned?

When where the 20000s being delivered? Do we believe there have been significant improvement since then? Cushier back seats and whatnot, aside from overall improved quality.

Non-owner reserved online 03/31/16
Invited 04/18/18
Configured 04/23/18 MSM Aero
July delay email
Edit button disappeared - ???
Contacted 6/22 (no VIN)
VIN 274xx after call to ISA
Dlivery 7/2 in Costa Mesa, CA

VIN 274xx

You think yours is low!

I don't like this one bit.

Has anyone ever cited a too-low VIN to an ISA and got a different car assigned?

When where the 20000s being delivered? Do we believe there have been significant improvement since then? Cushier back seats and whatnot, aside from overall improved quality.

I wouldnt worry about it, My VIN is even lower than that and it got assigned yesterday. VIN's are not in sequence on purpose.

I was about to say two things: one, I feel like the issue of unexpectedly low VINs has been brought up before and dismissed as not significant.

Two, I got off the phone with the ISAs and they (Eddie and Jackie) were able to look up my car's birthday: June 16 at 4:03 PM.

I am okay now.

I got the email and the call today. It's definitely been a journey. Here is hoping that the delivery goes smoothly.

Ordered 3/31, Invited 4/18, Config 4/19 as Silver, Changed to Blue 5/6
Call from ISA 6/22, VIN 383xx 6/22
Delivery: scheduled for 6/25
Pick up at Costa Mesa

816 days
Or 2 years, 2 months, 25 days excluding the end date
Calculate Duration Between Two Dates – Results

Too good to be true. ISA called and moved delivery date out to July 2nd. After some conversation, he said that all late June deliveries are being pushed out to July. The shop is closed on Sunday, so Monday July 2nd in the morning is the best they could do.

Hi, @ponzu,

The VIN Chart tab on the Invites Spreadsheet shows that VINs assigned these days are in the 26K-43K range. I'm sure you have already seen that. Thanks for adding your data. Here is a video that shows how you can filter and sort the data in case you want to find out others with similar VIN assignment dates.

In addition, I have just added the following chart to the Production tab. This data comes from people who have taken delivery and reported back the month of manufacture shown on the driver's door frame sticker. There is a question about that in the Google form. I hope you found this project useful. Cheers

gTfHw1I.png

ASAIK the build quality has been rock solid in the last couple of months, why all the consternation about "low VIN"?
Build quality may have been good (or rock solid if you prefer) for a while, but they added stuffing to the backseat fairly recently.

Besides, EasterEgg freaked me out with his theory that a low VIN may represent a reject.

I am okay now.

Last edited:
Hi, @ponzu,

The VIN Chart tab on the Invites Spreadsheet shows that VINs assigned these days are in the 26K-43K range. I'm sure you have already seen that. Thanks for adding your data. Here is a video that shows how you can filter and sort the data in case you want to find out others with similar VIN assignment dates.

In addition, I have just added the following chart to the Production tab. This data comes from people who have taken delivery and reported back the month of manufacture shown on the driver's door frame sticker. There is a question about that in the Google form. I hope you found this project useful. Cheers

gTfHw1I.png
Just updated the spreadsheet with month of build - VIN 207xx, 5/18 build

Hi, @ponzu,

gTfHw1I.png

Thanks, and no, I had not seen either the chart or the disclaimer below it. Otherwise, I would not have been worried. There are a lot of links to the various reports off the spreadsheet, I get lost in them. I use these Tesla Model 3 Invites and did not realize these were secondary to yours.

• Informative
Reactions: Troy
Looking at the Model 3 spreadsheet a bunch off VINs were assigned in the last couple of days including some recent configurations (alas not mine yet: 06/04). One thing that seems to be common with the recent configurations that have VINs is they are all in the east and will likely not be delivered until after 07/01.

• Helpful
Reactions: sundaymorning
Looking at the Model 3 spreadsheet a bunch off VINs were assigned in the last couple of days including some recent configurations (alas not mine yet: 06/04). One thing that seems to be common with the recent configurations that have VINs is they are all in the east and will likely not be delivered until after 07/01.

I’m in Northern CA, so that part doesn’t fit. But my delivery is 7/2. And it did seem odd to me that my ISA started with that day as the first option. It seems clear they’re trying to push deliveries to July. And I’m definitely ok with that.

• Helpful
I’m in Northern CA, so that part doesn’t fit. But my delivery is 7/2. And it did seem odd to me that my ISA started with that day as the first option. It seems clear they’re trying to push deliveries to July. And I’m definitely ok with that.

Yup, totally ok with that as well. The more that get the tax rebate the better. Hoping to get a VIN assignment this next week for delivery in the next couple of weeks.