Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN# Changed?

AMIYY4YOU

Jan 4, 2018
Boston, MA
So I got my VIN assigned as 115xx just at the end of last week, but when I checked my account now the VIN # changed to 102xx. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm only worried if I got too early of a model and there was some production issue that might have been resolved by the 11kth car :p (i realize this is irrational but it makes me slightly concerned regardless)

FlyF4

Son of a MX
Mar 21, 2017
moved to San Diego
I wouldn't worry about this. Production wise, they are only a week or so apart. Yes, it can happen from time to time for a few reasons. I would worry more about making sure that when your car is delivered that the paperwork and registration actually matches the vin on the car. Check it at delivery. It's rare for that mistake, yet has happened.

edit add. Oh another thing, the change in vin MIGHT actually be in your favor rather than work against you. Consider that the change could be that a problem was discovered later in line on your original vin that requires a change. Just one of many reasons that a vin can change.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake

bmay4343

Apr 9, 2018
San francisco, ca
This is super interesting. I'm located in the Bay Area. My VIN was 102xx and scheduled for Delivery on Saturday 4/7. Last Wednesday, 4/4 got a call that my delivery was cancelled and would need to be rescheduled. My VIN then changed to 115xx.

This seems like quite the coincidence. My config is Midnight Silver Metallic, Aero wheels, EAP.

I wonder if they switched our cars... Has your delivery been rescheduled yet? I was told there was a defect in my 102xx which is why I was being assigned a new car...

dckiwi

Aug 12, 2016
Reston, VA
VIN changed? no. Disappeared? Yes. I was the proud owner of a Model 3 VIN for about 3 days, before it disappeared last week and was replaced with my reservation number.

I still have a 4/27 delivery appointment booked, yet I have no idea whether this will actually happen now.

mwu

Oct 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Perhaps they found a problem with parts quality and were able to trace it to certain VINs... There was some talk recently about people having to get their drive units replaced. It could be that or something else.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Ya we have a big thread of people that have had their VIN taken away

novin2.jpg

Future4me

Mar 22, 2018
Ventura County, CA
My VIN was changed last week from 131xx to 147xx and I have delivery scheduled for 4/13 in Marina Del Rey. I'll make sure it's the same as on the purchase documents. Getting excited now. ACHed the final payment today.

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
No activity here in a while but anyone have this issue recently? VIN number listed - then gone? On my current order I had a VIN right away the day I ordered and today it is gone.(~under 3 weeks) I checked source code and the VIN has changed.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC