Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA VIN ASSIGNMENT GUIDE

I have conducted a guide on how to get a general idea of when we will all get our Teslas. This is from personal experience and some tips on what to do while you guys are in the waiting rooms.

General Rules:
  1. Your EDD month when you click to purchase is usually the most accurate time frame in when you'll receive a vehicle
  2. Go to the SPREAD SHEET and look for people in your area with similar order dates and watch when they get alerts (EDD Changes, Vin assignment) and add/subtract the difference in days to guesstimate when you'll receive your alerts.
  3. Go to forums and keep an eye on others order dates with updates to their orders to get an understanding of how long the process takes in your region (West coast or East Coast)
  4. If you receive a trade in text that is usually a good sign since its just confirmation that youve been waiting a while so hopefully youre close to your VIN assignment
  5. The more uncommon your combination is, the longer the average days will be until VIN is assigned.

MAJOR Rules (as told by multiple SA's):
  1. East coast will get their VINs typically 7-10 business days before their EDD window
  2. West Coast will get their VINs typically 1-3 Business days before their EDD window
  3. You want to see your EDD window shrink (1 Month > 3 Weeks > 2 Weeks > 1 Week > 3 days > Delivery Date)
  4. Complete your profile (it should say "View" in your tesla app)
  5. Cash Option to avoid delays in order to remove any delays

35418225484_e769e308e4_k.jpg

(Note: Article cover image by Steve Jurvetson under Attribution 2.0 Generic license)

Last edited:
I would add something about setting trade in to no trade in that way, no EDD issues when it expires
TESLA VIN ASSIGNMENT GUIDE

I have conducted a guide on how to get a general idea of when we will all get our Teslas. This is from personal experience and some tips on what to do while you guys are in the waiting rooms.

General Rules:
  1. Your EDD month when you click to purchase is usually the most accurate time frame in when you'll receive a vehicle
  2. Go to the SPREAD SHEET and look for people in your area with similar order dates and watch when they get alerts (EDD Changes, Vin assignment) and add/subtract the difference in days to guesstimate when you'll receive your alerts.
  3. Go to forums and keep an eye on others order dates with updates to their orders to get an understanding of how long the process takes in your region (West coast or East Coast)
  4. If you receive a trade in text that is usually a good sign since its just confirmation that youve been waiting a while so hopefully youre close to your VIN assignment
  5. The more uncommon your combination is, the longer the average days will be until VIN is assigned.

MAJOR Rules (as told by multiple SA's):
  1. East coast will get their VINs typically 7-10 business days before their EDD window
  2. West Coast will get their VINs typically 1-3 Business days before their EDD window
  3. You want to see your EDD window shrink (1 Month > 3 Weeks > 2 Weeks > 1 Week > 3 days > Delivery Date)
  4. Complete your profile (it should say "View" in your tesla app)
  5. Cash Option to avoid delays in order to remove any delays

View attachment 780583

(Note: Article cover image by Steve Jurvetson under Attribution 2.0 Generic license)

Ok, I guess that's for people that didn't set up a trade in when they initially did their order. I submitted my trade in info right away and received an offer the next day thru email
Yes, but that will expire after 30 days. It is recommended you set this to no trade in. When offer does expire, it will move your EDD until it is fixed and may not go back to same place it was

Step 4 might not be the case for everyone, I am currently stuck at uploading insurance, where you need a VIN to have insurance in the first place. I've confirmed serval times with SA that I have completed every task until VIN assignment.

Yep, it sets your profile as incomplete, causing it to not be able to calculate EDD, same as financing expiring. With supposed recent change in calculations to be based off of order date instead of profile complete, not sure how it will effect EDD.
Has it been common for people's EDD to change after updating trade in info monthly? My trade in expired Friday and they gave me my new estimate yesterday with no change to my EDD. Then this morning my EDD got pushed out 4-5 months (April 12-May 10 to "September"). Didn't think there was any connection until reading your post.

Has it been common for people's EDD to change after updating trade in info monthly? My trade in expired Friday and they gave me my new estimate yesterday with no change to my EDD. Then this morning my EDD got pushed out 4-5 months (April 12-May 10 to "September"). Didn't think there was any connection until reading your post.
If you already got a new offer, then probably not related. It is for the people that you got notice for a week or so that the offer expired and don’t renew let’s see a push back

Where is the spreadsheet ?
That is the M3 spreadsheet. Here is the one for the MY https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/teslike-model-y-survey-order-tracker-spreadsheet.145868/#post-3483303

Reactions: tone228