Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TESLA VIN ASSIGNMENT GUIDE

I have conducted a guide on how to get a general idea of when we will all get our Teslas. This is from personal experience and some tips on what to do while you guys are in the waiting rooms.

General Rules:
  1. Your EDD month when you click to purchase is usually the most accurate time frame in when you'll receive a vehicle
  2. Go to the SPREAD SHEET and look for people in your area with similar order dates and watch when they get alerts (EDD Changes, Vin assignment) and add/subtract the difference in days to guesstimate when you'll receive your alerts.
  3. Go to forums and keep an eye on others order dates with updates to their orders to get an understanding of how long the process takes in your region (West coast or East Coast)
  4. If you receive a trade in text that is usually a good sign since its just confirmation that youve been waiting a while so hopefully youre close to your VIN assignment
  5. The more uncommon your combination is, the longer the average days will be until VIN is assigned.

MAJOR Rules (as told by multiple SA's):
  1. East coast will get their VINs typically 7-10 business days before their EDD window
  2. West Coast will get their VINs typically 1-3 Business days before their EDD window
  3. You want to see your EDD window shrink (1 Month > 3 Weeks > 2 Weeks > 1 Week > 3 days > Delivery Date)
  4. Complete your profile (it should say "View" in your tesla app)
  5. Cash Option to avoid delays in order to remove any delays

35418225484_e769e308e4_k.jpg

(Note: Article cover image by Steve Jurvetson under Attribution 2.0 Generic license)

Last edited:
Ok, I guess that's for people that didn't set up a trade in when they initially did their order. I submitted my trade in info right away and received an offer the next day thru email
I tried to do that when I ordered my Model 3 LR a couple of weeks ago. They said my delivery was too far in the future, as trade in value is only good for 30 days. I have completed as much of my pre-delivery tasks, but jt saw that my delivery window went from July 22-Sept. 2 to Aug. 20-Oct. 15. Arrgh! Maybe I'll get it as a Christmas present...

Ordered M3LR Fri May 27 and lucky for me, the SA said they had an unassigned VIN in a different color being delivered ~mid-June. Ever since the VIN was assigned to me the EDD has been in this format <today's date> to <4 days from today>. Should I just listen to the SA and ignore the app?