Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin number assigned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! You ordered in March and just now got a VIN? That's crazy....

This is exactly what I've been warning people about who ordered this quarter: It is absolutely possible that any of the remaining orders could actually end up being delayed until December or even later. Tesla is simply going to pump out as many cars as their production line can handle until the end of the quarter and that is going to put priority at the end to deliveries with the shortest distance, so mostly California. I'm in WA and at this point I have very little confidence I'll get delivery in September.

This is exactly what I've been warning people about who ordered this quarter: It is absolutely possible that any of the remaining orders could actually end up being delayed until December or even later. Tesla is simply going to pump out as many cars as their production line can handle until the end of the quarter and that is going to put priority at the end to deliveries with the shortest distance, so mostly California. I'm in WA and at this point I have very little confidence I'll get delivery in September.

I'm in WA too and ordered last Friday.... the web site was showing 2 to 4 weeks and now has slipped to 8+ weeks, so I'm hoping Tesla was somewhat accurate to what their order backlog was and what capacity they have right now...

What concerns me is that most of the people who comment about getting VINs are still on the east coast. How are they going to work to the west coast with so little time left? I wish there was more transparency.

I imagine it will be switching soon, I wouldn’t stress too much.

Logistically getting up and down our state is much easier than crossing the entire country. I would hope this week is the last for majority of east coast/ mid west shipping, and we will start seeing more west coast people now get our VINs with deliveries for the last two weeks of the quarter.

What concerns me is that most of the people who comment about getting VINs are still on the east coast. How are they going to work to the west coast with so little time left? I wish there was more transparency.

I wonder how long those vehicles have sat though... it might take Tesla days to a week or so before being able to load them on to trains to get them back to the East coast. It could be that the cars people have been getting VINs on were built 10+ days ago? Maybe Tesla only assigns a VIN once shipping logistics are complete and the car has been assigned to head to a specific region or sales center. People on the East coast should be asking when the cars were built, would be curious if there are many that are in the last couple days or if they're all at least a week or two ago.

I imagine it will be switching soon, I wouldn’t stress too much.

Logistically getting up and down our state is much easier than crossing the entire country. I would hope this week is the last for majority of east coast/ mid west shipping, and we will start seeing more west coast people now get our VINs with deliveries for the last two weeks of the quarter.

Trying not to stress. Although I’m in Missouri.

Reactions: CO_MY
I got a text message for the delivery date first without VIN no. Had to email the tesla store advisor to get the vin.
I have to clarify. I have not had official notification from Tesla, but local Tesla people told me VIN was assigned and gave me the vin number. Still waiting for official notification which I do not think I will get until car ships and delivery date is established.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the 'schedule delivery date' text/email after one gets their VIN (either from an advisor or via MVPA)?
I think it depends on final destination. I was assigned a VIN (called tesla for it) and was told my Y was on a train to Chicago. The next day I got a text to schedule delivery. It's possible you won't get a text until it's made its way towards you after VIN assignment.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46