Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Number Owners: Do you have a trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got in touch with my DA, they didn't call me - I had to call them, and they sent me the form over for them to be able to estimate the value. They came back with an absurdly low amount so I will be looking to sell privately instead.

I still do not have a DA assigned (apparently) which is fine....still early on in the process but would love to know if that 'trade in' is holding me back in any manner. Also, I have filled out a trade in form on Tesla website and interested to see what number they come back with. If it is absurdly low.....I will also sell private and remove that caveat from my account.

Thanks for responding.

Even though I have no VIN yet, I have already gone through the trade-in process as described above and rejected the offer they made (very low), and now it's marked as "No" in the portal.

Thanks. I assume this is going to be a kick in my ego. Since I was searching for a truck recently, I have had the 'trade in' numbers they are willing to give in my head. Would love to see how Tesla stacks up to those.

Thanks. I assume this is going to be a kick in my ego. Since I was searching for a truck recently, I have had the 'trade in' numbers they are willing to give in my head. Would love to see how Tesla stacks up to those.
To be fair, the DA said in advance that he expected I could get a much better price selling privately than via trade-in. So I was forewarned, and low and behold, it came true. My understanding from reading these forums is Tesla tends to offer low for (non-Tesla) trade-ins as they do not resell them, and just pass them on to a wholesaler, so as a result, the margin is lower (and of course, there are more people to take a cut).

Apparently, the Tesla website trade-in process is delivering values in USD rather than CAD and all trade-ins are being done manually via form that you fill out (word doc) and you take pics of the car from each side, plus any damage or modifications done to it. Got the form today and filled it out. Just need to take pics of the car now.
Mine was all online in a web form (including uploading pictures, or a link to a picture gallery)...no idea about the values in USD or CA, but either way, still way low in my case.

In my case the form URL was: Canada ON Trade-in Self Inspection Form
(I don't suggest filling it out if you haven't been told to by you DA though as maybe there are different processes....)

Mine was all online in a web form (including uploading pictures, or a link to a picture gallery)...no idea about the values in USD or CA, but either way, still way low in my case.

In my case the form URL was: Canada ON Trade-in Self Inspection Form
(I don't suggest filling it out if you haven't been told to by you DA though as maybe there are different processes....)

Yes this was the site that a DS that I talked to, was referring to. Whether it's good or bad, the manual form is much less detailed than that site.

I have a Nissan Leaf to get rid of, I did not even bother to ask the trade in value. As a niche market EV vehicle, I will expect a surprisingly low value on trade in.

I posted my vehicle on Kijiji, within two days, sold with reasonable price.
When I was considering an S I got an offer of $12000 for my Leaf from Tesla and the buyout from Nissan was $17000ish including tax so subtracting my remaining payments and insurance I'd be looking at eating about $3000. It was better than I expected.

Exactly same number for me.
I'm probably going to take it, I have a few scratches inside that I'm sure Nissan will charge me $1000-2000 and I have no desire to ever visit them again. The hard part is the waiting. I have a VIN but no DS assigned. I called the 888 # yesterday and my car is in transit so they said I should get a DS assigned this week and a call by mid next week. Fingers crossed!

I'm probably going to take it, I have a few scratches inside that I'm sure Nissan will charge me $1000-2000 and I have no desire to ever visit them again. The hard part is the waiting. I have a VIN but no DS assigned. I called the 888 # yesterday and my car is in transit so they said I should get a DS assigned this week and a call by mid next week. Fingers crossed!

My private sale pays me 17200 , did not ask either Nissan or Tesla.

They completely lowballed the value of my Tesla so I am selling private. I inquired about a courtesy trade and for a fee Tesla said they will do it. Hoping this can happen and sell the car before the model 3 comes.

Oh, they do courtesy trade for a fee? I thought they stop doing that. This is new to me.

Sorry, may be only for Tesla that they will do courtesy trade? I will ask once my DS contacts me.