Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vin numbers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think anyone fully understands it. A higher VIN indicates a more recent build. But, a lower VIN does not necessarily mean an older build.

I think they skip blocks of VINs or some individual VINs get recycled if the original car didn't make it out the door. The best bet it to check the date on the car's info plate. Or, your service advisor can tell you the exact date the car was built. Mine told me that my car was completed yesterday at 2:45pm.

Or you can just stop believing the hype that all early cars are bad. Ours was not. With the continued hue and cry here about some dirt on the floor mats “requiring” cars to be redirected because someone paid 60k and “absolutely deserves, damnit!” to be treated like a fairy princess, you’ll probably be just fine, regardless of your VIN or build date. There are no givens. Choice is yours, good luck!

ß

Last edited:
I don't think anyone fully understands it. A higher VIN indicates a more recent build. But, a lower VIN does not necessarily mean an older build.

I think they skip blocks of VINs or some individual VINs get recycled if the original car didn't make it out the door. The best bet it to check the date on the car's info plate. Or, your service advisor can tell you the exact date the car was built. Mine told me that my car was completed yesterday at 2:45pm.

Thank you all for your help. I have an X now. Lease ends in September. I am excited about Y. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: empiredown