Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN options decoder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I become progressively more terrified of buying used through Tesla as I read this forum, I’m turning to third-party used Teslas as a viable alternative. The problem is that the information on these cars sold by dealerships is wildly inaccurate - 85 RWDs listed as P85Ds, 70s listed as 90s, and no real details whatsoever about the options other than what you can gain from the photos. Sometimes you can’t even tell what battery capacity or drive type the car is because it’s not listed, and there’s no shot of the home screen or the right rear badge!

Is there a way to find out which options were originally installed at the factory by the VIN? My kids are crazy about the rear-facing seats, so that’s a must, but these dealers have no idea whether their cars have it (I know only about 1/10 Model S do).

Hank’s EV-CPO site is awesome for really filtering by very specific options, but I don’t want to limit myself to just Tesla’s used inventory. Tesla-info.com is a great resource for third party sales but doesn’t let me get granular about the options (especially rear-facing seats) like EV-CPO does. I’d like to take the VIN from promising model S cars at dealerships and confirm RFS, pano/glass roof, etc.

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

You should be able to tell the charger type and battery size, but not whether or not it is equipped with a sunroof or rear-facing seats by the VIN.

I'm surprised you are more terrified of buying used from Tesla, because Tesla sort of has a monopoly on support and getting a warranty, inspection, and service plan would generally ease most people's mind. Honestly, I think it's a just luck of the draw with respect to the used car buying process through Tesla.

1) You need good communication with all the Tesla reps and you need to understand the limits of their position.
2) Don't expect the a thorough 70pt inspection. A lot of buyers have felt that Tesla does not inspect the vehicle until a few days before delivery, causing both delays in some cases.
3) Many folks are uneasy about not being able to test drive the vehicle before payment and document signing. If you're charming and have a nice delivery rep, they will let you inspect the car before signing everything.
4) Follow up title and registration can be delayed for months if they lose your paperwork in pile of papers. Apparently they all don't use FIFO.

A few key pictures can help you identify most the options, hip hooks for RFS, Sub in passenger side of trunk for audio upgrade (hole if not), chrome front lovers tech, parking sensors (parking assist), 6 sensors on back bumper and front for AP and camera above rear mirror), LTE on MCU for LTE upgrade (however this can show 3g if no LTE signal). Some are hard to identify 80A option for twin chargers, vehicle information option on instrument cluster for upgraded TPMS system showing tire pressures and allowing easy wheel changes.

This is all I can think of for now..

Many dealers don't know anything about the cars...

Keep in mind, during certain times Tesla did retrofits of things, so VIN may not show what car really has... Battery can get upgraded by Tesla or customer (software limited packs).

Used Teslas are difficult to shop for over the internet. Traditional dealers have limited understanding of Teslas or how they are equipped at the various levels - lots of information that is impossible to be true in the description.
There was a site I could go to with a Ram VIN, it would show all the information on the window sticker - lots of important details. Too bad the same is not true for Tesla products.
I decided because of this and the Federal and State Rebates to buy new...just ordered yesterday.